South of England meet - Avant
87 posts and the northerners are still nowhere near deciding where to meet - swaying between Manchester and Alston on the Cumberland / Northumberland border. Far too much democracy. It clearly wouldn't help suggesting they organise it in a brewery.

It wouldn't take that long in the South - either we'd be more efficient, or we're all so anti-social that we wouldn't want to meet anyway.

If we did, a good central place is East Ilsley on the A34 between Newbury and Oxford: there are two pubs - one's called the Swan and the other....isn't.

Is there any enthusiasm for a meet down here? I don't feel that strongly and won't be upset if not, but would turn up if there is.
South of England meet - cheddar
If we did, a good central place is East Ilsley on
the A34 between Newbury and Oxford: there are two pubs -
one's called the Swan and the other....isn't.

Call that south? Good idea though.
South of England meet - Truckersunite
Now that post reminds me of the following:-

I have for some years been considering the establishment of an association of like-minded people who really can't be bothered to do anything much more than have a good time.

It seems to me that the world we live in today is far too earnest and intense and that people work far too hard for ridiculously long hours. Life, in short, is losing much of its enjoyment.

The answer to this, of course, is to become a hedonist, a lotus eater, or what you will.

I am considering starting the Can't Be pink fluffy dice Club.

But there are two problems, a Catch 22 if ever there was one.

1. I really can't be pink fluffy dice to start the club.

2. The sort of people I would like to join couldn't be pink fluffy dice to apply. And if they could be pink fluffy dice they really wouldn't be suitable members.

This is a conundrum. If anyone has a solution to the problem please email me.

And I'll see if I can be pink fluffy dice to reply. Don't hold your breath . . .
This is a conundrum. If anyone has a solution to the
problem please email me.

Might be pink fluffy dice if there is something in it for me!
South of England meet - J Bonington Jagworth
"It clearly wouldn't help suggesting they organise it in a brewery."

I think it might...

East Ilsley is North to me, but then so is Southampton :-)
South of England meet - blue_haddock
It clearly
wouldn't help suggesting they organise it in a brewery.

If they were to do that i'd be happy cos we could have it down my neck of the woods!
South of England meet - borasport20
Having a friend who has been Head Brewer at Boddingtons (in the days when they made REAL BEER in MANCHESTER (not a sore point at all) and at Hyde's Anvil Brewery, I'd be quite happy to suggest a visit to his current micro-brewery, but as only me and Adski live within taxi distance, its not really a goer....

South of England meet - Dynamic Dave
there are two pubs - one's called the Swan and the other....isn't.

Correct, it's called the Crown and Horns. And not forgetting The Star of course, which actually makes it 3 pubs ;o)

Long gone are the days when it had 14 pubs though.

That aside, if this meet up is as popular as the last one was, expect around 10 people to turn up ;o)

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=15905&...e
If those who would come live further Sarf we can go thither.

Where's PoloGirl when you need her? I believe she hails from sunny Basingstoke, so should be well aware of local hostelries (if I've misjudged you and you're teetotal, PG, my apologies!).

Isn't there a fairly conspicuous pub just off J7 of the M3, by the turnings to North Waltham one way and Dummer the other (appropriately named as Dummer has given us both Fergie and Tara Palmer-Whatsit)?
South of England meet - AngryJonny
There's a place up the road from me called the Ace Cafe. I'd expect that'd fit the bill quite well.
South of England meet - PoloGirl
Yes...Basingstoke girl, although during the day I can be found closer to the Hampshire/Surrey border.

That pub is the Wheatsheaf, and it is remarkably good considering it's attached to a travel lodge. Great food, lovely australian bar staff and very easy to find - even I know how to get there!

If you went there I might feel obliged to come and shatter all illusions about me!

Seems to be a lot of B'Roomer's in the south, west of London as well as in Somerset, Devon etc, perhaps somewhere like Andover or Swindon might be a good compromise?
South of England meet - GolfR_Caravelle_S-Max
If there was a meet somewhere near the M3/ Hants/Surrey areas, I think I'd drop in for a tomic or two! Count me in.
South of England meet - Oz
Yes...Basingstoke girl, although during the day I can be
found closer to the Hampshire/Surrey border.

That pub is the Wheatsheaf

I thought you were going to say The Hatch on the A30. Or Prince Of Wales, Farnborough North?
:o)
Oz (as was)
South of England meet - Mapmaker
As this is a driving forum, and the proposal is to go to the pub, I suggest somewhere in the centre of London in easy reach of mainline stations.

Pint of Coke, OJ & Lemonade, J2O etc?
South of England meet - Mapmaker
Lordy, the idea of drinking soft drinks in a pub with a load of strangers met on the 'net?
South of England meet - Xileno {P}
What about a posh cocktail or two in Barf (Bath)
;-)
I am allergic to London.

The Hatch on the A30... sit there long enough and you're bound to see a crash or a flying BMW... might be an idea if the conversation runs out.

South of England meet - Adam {P}
Hahah. ::Points finger::

You can't organise a meet. You can't organise a meet.

Neh Neh!
--
Adam
South of England meet - Happy Blue!
Beat me to it Adam!

Naa Naa Na Naa Naa to the southeners.....

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
'ave you got beef, look at me face, am I bothered, face, bothered ...........
Right then my little southern chickies... some behind the scenes, democratic selection of a time and place has occurred.

Wednesday, September 7
7:30-ish
The Wheatsheaf, which is technically in Dummer but just a stone's throw from J7 of the M3:

Come off M3 at J7 and head for the bright lights of Basingstoke.
At traffic lights, turn off to the left.
Stay on this road, pass a garden centre, a not so nice pub called the Golden Sun which has a lifesize plastic horse in the garden, and eventually you will come to the Wheatsheaf on your right. It's a dodgy turn in/out and it's attached to a travel inn, but don't let that put you off.

See you there? If nothing else you can marvel at the way Polo has been expertly (cough, splutter) put back together after his various exploits.

Oh..and look how it only took us a few posts to sort this out, and not 110 :)

South of England meet - drbe
Oh..and look how it only took us a few posts to
sort this out, and not 110 :)

er, 111 :
>> The Wheatsheaf, which is technically in Dummer but just a stone's
throw from J7 of the M3:

Can we not move this a bit further west to accomodate the likes of Hugo, Mare, Xileno etc whom I think I have managed to deduce are (along with myself) west country based as is, I also think, No Dosh.

Meet you West London, Berks, Hants lot half way?
South of England meet - spikeyhead {p}
I'll try and get to this.

There's also nothing stopping those inthe southwest having their own meet if this one's too far east for them
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Tut tut. Dissent - not good. Not good at all.
--
Adam
You tell 'em. We're sorted aren't we?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Yes. Yes we are E.

16th August, TGI Fridays, Sale

20:00 hours

Good leadership you see. Not what this two bit rabble call a "democracy".
--
Adam
Did I tell you my middle name is Churchill?

--
I don't believe you did no.
--
Adam
South of England meet - chris_w
no no no no no!

TGI Fridays is hardly a cosmopolitan outing!
Take it up with Winston.
--
Adam
Thank you spikeyhead - exactly right. It's fixed now - no more democracy!

You never know - some of us might come to both if it's not too far SW.

Hope to see you there.
40 whole posts to arrange one tiny little meeting.

Shameful.
--
Adam
South of England meet - spikeyhead {p}
40 whole posts to arrange one tiny little meeting.
Shameful.

That's only because half the posts have been form northerners
--
I read often, only post occasionally
I've just noticed that PoloGirl and I have been called a "two-bit rabble". Coming from the last-chance-saloon driver maybe this is a compliment!

Anyway we won't descend to such abuse, but instead just stay positive and warmly recommend the jump off Wigan Pier....
That's if we can make the decision quick enough.
--
Adam
South of England meet - GolfR_Caravelle_S-Max
Well, I work shifts, and I have changed mine for that day from 0700-1600 to 1000-1900 so a stop in Basingstoke would be a welcome break from SWMBO (cor, I hope she doesn't read this!). Have to go now to watch Eugene win....
South of England meet - Kevin
PoloGirl,

have you been in the Wheatsheaf recently?

It's very much geared to the bar-food crowd now. My choice would be The Queen in Dummer village.

The food is better, they have Real Ales and the fact that I can walk home has nothing to do with it!

Kevin...
Kevin - let's stick to the Wheatsheaf to avoid confusion (and also so as not to be jeered at by the northern brigade for being indecisive) but if we don't like it or want a change we could try the Queen later on perhaps.

Is the Queen named by either of Dummer's famous daughters, Fergie and Tara Palmer-Whatsit as an attempt at promotion?
South of England meet - Kevin
>Is the Queen named by either of Dummer's famous daughters, Fergie and Tara
>Palmer-Whatsit as an attempt at promotion?

I think it's been called The Queen Inn for a few hundred years, so it may even pre-date Fergie and TPT (who pops in now and again to use the cigarette machine).

On another note:

There are quite a few 'celebs' who live locally, my favourite being the (lady) cartoonist who drew Jessica Rabbit ;-)

Kevin...