Megane - strange smell - Xileno {P}
I've been using my VW for the last week so my Megane was sitting in our garage. Went to use it this morning and there's a strange smell in it, a sort of decaying vegetable type of smell. Had a good look around and couldn't find anything rotten lying around. I wonder if it could be something to do with the aircon but I gave it a good run on hot air to dry it all out and it's no better. Car was fine when I put it in the garage. I've not had this problem on previous Renaults.

Does anyone know what might be causing it? Could it be mould in the aircon? If so, how do I get rid of it? Car is only just over a year old.

Thanks

X
Megane - strange smell - Adam {P}
X,

I never bother with all that hot air (well - I do - just not the car type) and the aircon works. However, if I turn the aircon off and use the normal fan (which I very, very rarely do) it smells awful. Putting the aircon on sorts this.

That smells a little bit like my mate's fridge at Uni.
--
Adam
Mr Adam, thankyou

I ran the aircon on full with hot air selected for 20 mins this morning but the smell is still there.

Oh well, it won't be long until it needs a service, I will let my Renault garage have a look. I wonder if it's covered by the warranty?

X
Megane - strange smell - Armitage Shanks {p}
Did it smell when you opened the car door or when you started the engine and a/c? It might be a blocked pollen filter and if you are near Leighton Buzzard you could try this chap

www.aircool.biz/

He might even help you over the phone, with a bit of analysis.
Did it smell when you opened the car door or when
you started the engine and a/c?

When I opened the door. Although when I put the fan on, it was worse. I think it's definitely coming from the vents. I have no idea where the pollen filter is, Haynes don't produce a manual for this car yet.
Megane - strange smell - stan_deezy
If it turns out to be the aircon I can thoroughly recommend Comma Air Conditioner Cleaner.
It's a little aerosol cannister which you place in the rear passenger footwell, turn on the aircon, activate the cannister, exit the car and then leave running for 5 minutes. Works great, is said to kill all the nasties that lurk in the murky conditions around your condensor system.
My impressions are that it is very good indeed.
Costs around £10-12 although I got mine free as Comma are doing a promotion with their longlife oil at the moment.
Problem seems to have gone away. I've been running the aircon everyday for 20 mins and the smell has gone.
Thanks everyone.
Megane - strange smell - madf
Probably a mouse has climbed inside the air intake and died..

madf