Small auto for 3-4k - Miller
Suggestions please...

Must be:

Auto
No bigger than supermini class
As new as possible (3 years old max)
Low running costs

Not bothered about image/performance (within reason of course)

Thanks in advance for any recomendations.
Sorry typo in first post, should be no more than 5 years old (I doubt I would get anything on my budget less than 3 years old anyway!)
Small auto for 3-4k - dylan
If you want as new as possible, a 2 year old Daihatsu Charade 1.0 EL auto will set you back about 4k. Not many around, though.

Small auto for 3-4k - bimmer-driver
Nissan Micra seems the perfect choice. Supremely reliable, cheap as chips to run, and you could get a 2y ear old one within your budget.
Ben
Small auto for 3-4k - bartycrouch
Please can I ask how many miles per year?

Thanks
6-7000 max.
Small auto for 3-4k - bartycrouch
My best guesses:

Best Value
Nissan Micra
As has been mentioned the old Nissan Micra will give you the newest car for your money, but it is an old design and it isn't the most flattering of images. There are better superminis out there. Five doors autos used to be snapped up very quickly when they cam up on the 2nd hand market. CVT is not like a standard auto so try before you buy. Low mileage a good idea on these.

Best Image
VW Lupo
If you can put up with the limited room this makes a good case for itself. Better than the Polo Auto as it has the same engine/transmission in a lighter body.
Relatively low running costs, modern safety features. Seat Arosa is the same basic car ,but cheaper. It's a very small car but it doesn't feel like a bargain basement item.

Best compromise
Yaris 1.3 Auto
Quite cheap to run, good image, modern design, reliable, still being made, but 4000 will be needed to get a 2000 X reg along with a bit of haggling.

Best of luck
Thankyou Barty, leaning towards the old shape Micra at the minute, hopefully prices will have taken a knock since the new one was launched....