306 Diesel - MancRover
thinking of buying a 98-99 Peugeot 306 Diesel and wondered if any of you have experience of ownership. Is it worthwhile and what are the running costs (service etc) compared to a petrol version. I've had a look at what HJ says I should look out for, but as there are literally hundreds out there for sale, what should I be looking for.

Are there any 'better' alternatives?

All advice appreciated.
306 Diesel - AlastairW
DONT BUY THE PUG!
I had one before my Focus, and if it could go wrong it did. They dont like mileage, and all repairs cost a fortune because it is so badly designed under the bonnet.
If you really fancy a 306, get a petrol powered one - much cheaper to run.
306 Diesel - blue_haddock
Sorry Alistair i can't agree with your view on the 306 - the trusty 1.9 TD engine is capable of taking very high mileages with little problem. just think of all the 405 and 406 taxi's that use the same engine and do starship mileage.

It will do a far better MPG than any of the petrols, only the 1.4 can get close in economy terms but it is woefully slow. I wouldn't say servicing would cost much more than the petrol - yes they have a 6000 interval but it's pretty much just an oil and filter change, so £20 from a fast fit place.

For more info have a look at www.peugeot306dturbo.co.uk/

306 Diesel - Xileno {P}
I too am a fan of the PSA diesels. I would advise you save up a bit more and get the HDi engine, it's newer and all round a better engine in my view.
Yep the HDi is a more refined engine and will give better MPG - the age he is looking for is right on the change over date.
306 Diesel - Marky Mark
I agree with BH, if you can stretch to a HDI they are much more refined. I had the 1.9 td lump in my 405 & while not blisteringly quick it was certainly briskish with plenty of torque. Watch out for head gasket trouble and make sure the cambelt has been changed when recommended. As already stated, although 6k mile service interval on the 1.9td, this is an easy DIY job.

As with many french cars, the electrics/interior don't last as well as the engines, but the facelift versions are much better in that respect.

Have you thought about the Citroen Xsara - same car much not so desirable, so you can probably pick up a newer model for the same price as an older 306.

MM
306 Diesel - Andrew-T
>the HDi is a more refined engine and will give better MPG - the age is right on the change over date<.

The first 306 HDis were about July/Aug 1999(T), so most of them were V onwards. Mine gives about 57 mpg overall, which is about 8% better than I got with the XUD turbo version. But oil filter change on the HDi engine is awkward !!
306 Diesel - CM
I had a Pug 306 and did 48k over 2 years. loved the way it drove, but had a few problems. the least concerning was the accelerator cable kept getting stretched and therefore the loud pedal didn't work as well it should do.

the biggest problem was that every morning there was no back pressure on the brake pedal. The dealer had it in and out for 6 months and I eventually got rid of it when I was driving down the motorway and exited up a slip road to find that there was no back pressure from the brake pedal and no braking at all. Fortunately pumping the brake got them working again but Peugeot couldn't find anything to repair.

My father in law has had a diesel estate, then went to a 307 diesel estate (both company cars) and now that he has retired he has gone back to the 306 (albeit a petrol). His seems to run OK and gives him no problems
306 Diesel - David Horn
Done 30,000 miles so far on my 1.9TD and have had nothing but exemplary performance from the engine. Very nippy, and a good burst of power if you're in the right gear.

Has started first time, every time, even in freezing weather and after I left the interior lights on all night. You can't go wrong, but I do recall that there has been an issue of conrod failures on this type of engine. You can work it out from the engine number - I tried to on mine but couldn't actually find the information plate.
>>I do recall that there has been
an issue of conrod failures on this type of engine.
You can work it out from the engine number

The engine number has DHY in it - avoid these if you can!
306 Diesel - Xileno {P}
The engine number has DHY in it - avoid these if
you can!

Another reason for going for the HDi - as far as I'm aware, there have been no reports of conrod failure on these.
306 Diesel - madf
Demand a Full Service History backed by MOTs. So many are neglected and on diesels that is death by HG.

Only buy the best: a year older if price is an issue.

The coolant should be to the mark and have good antifreeze. Any signs of rust/boiling /or leaks or hoses that are pressurised (rigid) when the engine is running: walk away.

Check radiator lower end for leaks. Walk away (HG problems).

Air con pipes corrode (if fitted) £££££

Remote key fobs don't work. locks break.

Nice cars but too fragile if abused or neglected.

Buy something else..imo

madf

306 Diesel - machika
An equivalent Xsara would be cheaper. They are not exciting to look at but they drive well and have a good ride.
306 Diesel - David Horn
They are not exciting to look at

If you don't mind, I think my vomit yellow Xsara Coupe looks rather nice...
306 Diesel - Edward
Sold my 1998 306 DT 3 months ago. Had it for 3 years and 45000 miles. Only thing that went wrong was the aircon (very common - usually the condensor or pipes leading to it). More reliable than my Octavia (MAP sensor, Lambda Probe, air con, perished vac hoses and now partially seized rear caliper and throttle position sensor problem).

306 really is a great drive, but as mentioned above, Xsara is the same and cheaper.
306 Diesel - machika
>> They are not exciting to look at
If you don't mind, I think my vomit yellow Xsara Coupe
looks rather nice...

>>

Yes, the coupe is the better looking than the saloon. The estate also.
306 Diesel - mss1tw
>the HDi is a more refined engine and will give better
MPG - the age is right on the change over date<.
The first 306 HDis were about July/Aug 1999(T), so most of
them were V onwards. Mine gives about 57 mpg overall, which
is about 8% better than I got with the XUD turbo
version. But oil filter change on the HDi engine is awkward !!

I searched for this earlier as I've just done this on mine.

More for reference than anything else - the header tank is movable. If you slide it to the left you can move it out of the way and get to the filter from the top. A little easier, although I still had to use a filter tool, which is always a tight fit.
306 Diesel - autumnboy
"DONT BUY THE PUG!
I had one before my Focus, and if it could go wrong it did. They dont like mileage, and all repairs cost a fortune because it is so badly designed under the bonnet.
If you really fancy a 306, get a petrol powered one - much cheaper to run."

Your talking a load of cobblers.

The PSA (Pug/Citroen) based diesel engines are renown for thier reliabilty and performance. I had a ZX with 163k and my son has a 306 with 110k, just renewed the cam belt when due and regular servicing.

But beware as some reports say the 97/98 engines were proun
to throughing a rod through the side. But the early engines up to 97 had no problems.

So if you want a late model I'd go for a HDI version. And most of all, the diesels will not loose much in value compared to petrol models.