Loss of drive - 98 Mondeo - Steve_C
Hi,

Appoligies if this has come up before but I can't seem to get the search engine to come back with anything.

I'm having problem with the accerlation on my Mondeo and even after replacing the complete exhaust (including the Cat), Distributor, Plugs & Leads did not fix the problem (thanks a lot). Just been to another garage today and they said no fault on the ECU but it "might" be the Throttle Sensor. Any advice before I fork out more money.

Thanks in advance.
Loss of drive - 98 Mondeo - bikemade3
Steve,
Any chance on updating us with the garage's stance on this, now that you've spent a load of money and they have not cured the fault. Have you thought about small claims court ?
The full story is this. Rang the garage about the problem & booked it in with Courtesy Car. In the afternoon rang up and said thay need my permission (and £87) to get the Cat off to see if it's that. Afterward they rang again to say that it was and the cost was (wait for this) £580! I said thanks but no thanks (as I rang AutoSpeed and they gave me a quote of £190 all in). But when I went to pick my car up they said they've lost some bits of the exhaust and so can put it together until the parts arrive tomorrow.

Took it to AutoSpeed. They put the new Cat on - no difference. Put the old Cat on but new exhaust - no difference. Put the new Cat and the new exhaust - still no difference. So put my old Cat & Exhaust on. Cost: No charge.

Took it to another Garage yesterday and no fault found with ECU or the signals going to it so they recommended another Garage which has the correct equipment!

I still think the garage has wasted my time in giving me the wrong dianosis and to think that other people not so careful would have gave to OK for the work only to find that the fault was not cured. They even charged me for the "bits" they lost which turned out to be the 2 nuts!!

{Certain parts of this thread have been generalised becasue of possible naming/shaming. DD}
Loss of drive - 98 Mondeo - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
The problem is so far is that no-one has done a proper diagnosis. Sure 'the garage' has probably read the fault codes and found none and unfortunately that is where their diagnostic skills end. I would suggest that possibly the Air Mass sensor or the O2 sensor may be at fault but as they may be still working within their parameters albeit incorrectly no fault will be logged, ie. Say the O2 sensor is stuck at 0.3v the ECU will fuel accordingly (and obviously incorrectly) but because that value is within the normal operating parameter a fault code may not be generated.
Coming back to your problem we also need to check fuel pressure and volume plus the various inputs and outputs from the ECU, power supplies and earths etc etc.
Andrew

--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Thnaks for that Andrew. Yes after speaking to a few people I've come to the conclusion that the best mechanics are really people who know how things works (like yourself) rather than people who can plug in equipments and takes readings. I've booked the car to a local chap who has a long waiting list (due in on 5th August) but hopefully he will be able to sort out the problem, fingers crossed.