timing belt ajuster is stuck on cavalier - cavi
hi i own a 1993 vauxhall cavalier 1.7 td saloon and i just decided to change the timing belt when i came across a problem, the tensioner is stuck fast in place. i have gone by the book for loosening the tensioner but it wont budge any ideas would be appreciated. also id like to know if anypne know how to remove tyres from alloy rims looking forward to replies!
timing belt ajuster is stuck on cavalier - Number_Cruncher
Is this the Isuzu engine? (Injectors and glow plugs behind the rocker cover, as opposed to the Vauxhall 1.7 engine with them in front)

Number_Cruncher
yes thats right sorry for not including that info i take it you've got an idea as to why it's stuck? i have unbolted all of the necessary nuts. i had a look at the manual and for my engine its the spring loaded type of adjuster. my dad said that it might be a reaction between the two different metals of the adjuster arm and the block, all i know is that there is not sign of rust so i cannot imagine how its held there.
I don't think you have told me which engine it is.

I suspect it is the 17DR, which is the Vauxhall engine. Is this right?

Although there were some changes in the tensioner at this time, I think yours should have a hex shaped hole for an allen key in the front. By twisting this, can you adjust the position of the tensioner?

Why do you need to get it off? Does it feel rough when turned? Have you a replacement ready to be fitted? If it isn't rough to turn, I wouldn't bother removing it.

Number_Cruncher
im sorry seems im missing important info here! it is the isuzu 1.7 TD the reason i'd like to change it is because i have noticed things wrong with the car which so happens the previous owner said there is nothing wrong with i.e the brakes, i took the drums off the other day too see if the lining were ok to find that one of the linings were off the piston of the slave cylinder which meant a new unit as the dust cap let fluid out and the insides were caked with a kind of fluidy/ brake friction materialy goo. call it peace of mind!
There should only be three bolts, one through the centre of the roller, and two on a base/bracket. One you have released those, the tensioner should come off.

The best way to double check this is to obtain the new tensioner and double check that you have taken all the relevant fasteners out before "applying judicious force" as the Haynes manuals describe it!

Number_Cruncher
thanks for repling m.c. seeing as the only time that i could actually work on the car was after work i didn't read what the manual said properly (the words were floating off the page!) you are quite right i was only loosening the top and bottom bolts which is probably why it wouldn't budge!ill let you know if i manage to release it soon , thanks.

to steve.o's reply the drum wasn't hard at all to take off it didn,t even need tapping i have replaced the cylinder and the metal brake pipe it joins to i also bled the system so it should be fine now thanks for replying.
timing belt ajuster is stuck on cavalier - Civic8
>>i took the drums off the other day too see if the lining were ok to find that one of the linings were off the piston of the slave cylinder which meant a new unit as the dust cap let fluid out and the insides were caked with a kind of fluidy/ brake friction materialy goo.

Would suggest wheel cylinder seal gone.If the drum was hard to remove it may have caused the shoe to displace ie pulled away with drum.It wont have been put on that way..wheel cylinder replacement and bleeding of cylinder should correct matters
--
Steve