Golf cabrio, why why why? - Graham
It has long been acknowledged that Ventos / Boras is the unpopular ugly sister of the Golf. Why doesn?t VW launch a Bora Cabrio to help raise the image of the Bora?
Golf Cabrios always look a bit stupid (IMHO), the back end looks like a real afterthought. Compare it to the 306 cabrio that uses the saloon variant and looks great!!

Bora Cabrio is the way forward VW!!!!!!!
Re: Golf cabrio, why why why? - Steve G
There are too many roadsters on the market.
MR2/MGF/MX5/GTV/TT plus all of the saloon car conversions Astra/Golf/306/206 e.t.c...
Re: Golf cabrio, why why why? - Andy P
The simple answer is that vou can't turn a four-door saloon into a cabrio. As far as I know, the 306 Cabrio is based on the 3-dr hatch with a reworking of the rear end (the cabrio arrived before the saloon and is seven inches shorter).

Andy
Re: Golf cabrio, why why why? - Lee H
I drive a new Golf cabrio occasionally and it's a nice enough car to live with and look at. All the roadsters are fine in their place, but are terribly small.

The Golf does have some plus points:
* 4 seats for proper big people
* Decent boot (enough for my gear and the stuff my in-laws can't fit in their MX-5 - i.e. all of it)

and some minuses
* Enormous roof bar
* terrible radio reception

Can't see a Bora would be much of an improvement, wouldn't it look like those strange E-class cabrios, a little bit _too_ big?

The 306 cabrio is nice enough, but it's base has now been replaced with the 307 - all Golfs look much the same, so have a nice timeless quality about them.

Still, I'd swap any of them tomorrow for a DS decapotable

Lee.
Re: Golf cabrio, why why why? - David W
>>Still, I'd swap any of them tomorrow for a DS decapotable

>>Lee.

Quite.

Everyone should drive a DS just once in their life, a truly unique experience. In particular a Pallas Semi-Auto. Spaceship on wheels.

David
Re: Golf cabrio, why why why? - Mark (Brazil)
Since you managed to get this over to Citroen.....

I watched "The History of Citroen Cars" on the box at the weekend. Surprisingly interesting - first car ever with disc brakes and various other firsts. Kind of lost the plot in the '60s though, didn't they.

Also mentioned that the logo comes from looking at one of the gear wheels the parent company used to make side on. Apparantly they were the first to really perfect the v-shaped teeth.

I really should get out more.......
Re: Golf cabrio, why why why? - Lee H
Mark (Brazil) wrote :
>Since you managed to get this over to Citroen.....

rumbled.....
Re: Golf cabrio, why why why? - Guy Lacey
.....probably because the Bora cabrio would compete too closely with the eagerly awaited A4 cabrio.
Re: Golf cabrio, why why why? - mike harvey
Just in case there are anymore out there, and after years of working in the motor trade, I used to think 'cabriolet' was a new or posh word for convertible. It wasn't until I had a job as a buyer of prestige cars that I nearly dropped a huge clanger by very nearly buying a Jag XJS which had both variants at that time, and one was worth a good grand less than the other. Cannot remember which way round now. Are there any other cars with both?
Mike
Re: Golf cabrio, why why why? - ian (cape town)
The old 3-series BMW had both. Mostly cab, but a smattering of full convertibles (not BMW - very many were done privately)
Re: Bora - Marc
BMW had the 3 series as two variants, Convertible - ie a fully folding roof - plus the BAUR conversion which had a targa panel that you could take out of the roof and a folding rear screen.

I read somewhere that VW plans to make a 2 Door Bora coupe - which will spawn a Cabriolet version . . . . . . .