New car needed - pj4d
well after my previous problems i think i amm going to buy a car with a proper warranty with it.
Budget is around 9-12k
toys are necessary, leather climate, heated etc etc.
Diesel is also a good idea.
What do you say
New car needed - Altea Ego
a two /three year old Mondeo Ghia X 130Tdci

a 12-24 month old Renault Laguna Dci 120 Privelage
New car needed - bhoy wonder
Just got a VW passat Highline tdi 130 bhp for £12950 6 months old with 8000 miles for £12950. My budget was for £12000 but I went that bit extra for what I feel was a better car than the mondeo.
New car needed - Happy Blue!
Did you like the S60?

If so, find another from a competant dealer and get a Warranty Direct warranty - see left <

The D5 is a good engine, but unless you do at least 15,000 miles pa it not worth the extra money.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
New car needed - pj4d
do you really think i want another volvo?
Warranty direct are a bunch of conmen i hear?
How much am i looking at for a ford mondeo, i dont really want a french car due to reliability issues.
New car needed - Altea Ego
9k gets you a v good low miles three years old Ghia x TDcI 130

(you need the Ghia X for leather)

12-13k gets you a year to 18 months old one

Very very much cheaper if you go petrol and regular ghia.
New car needed - pj4d
Just been looking around for mondeo's and there seem to be many 1 year old with 9-15k on the clock at car supermarkets,
are these ex rental cars?
New car needed - matstro
Interestingly, when we were recently looking at a Focus, it was at a Ford owned dealership. The dealer was offering what I thought was a great VFM warranty. Essentially, for about £550, you got a 3 year full Ford warranty which covered an unlimited amount of claims up to the value of the car sale price. Thrown in with this £550 warranty was 3 years top RAC cover so really the warranty only cost £200. THis is a Ford own warranty which apparently may not be available from franchised Ford dealers, only Ford owned ones.

A possible advantage of buying Ford rather than something else?
New car needed - pj4d
as standard they seem to offer 2 years warranty and cover,
not sure about extensions though.
but these are ex lease, rental etc ...
New car needed - cheddar
Just got a VW passat Highline tdi 130 bhp for £12950
6 months old with 8000 miles for £12950. My budget was
for £12000 but I went that bit extra for what I
feel was a better car than the mondeo.

You either don't enjoy driving or you did not drive a Mondeo, it is light years ahead of a Passat in respect of handling, feel and grip. The only Passat that comes close is the 4wd.
New car needed - cheddar
As the owner of a three year old Ghia X TDCi I can vouch for RF's recomendation.

I have not used them so cannot recomend their service however Archers of Ashby (Leicestershire I guess) have a good website listing a number of Ghia X TDCi's, £11999 gets you a Sept '03 5dr with 14k miles and all the goodies. I will not put in a link suffice to say that it is archersofashbyDOTcoDOTuk.
New car needed - pj4d
any comments regarding the durashift thingy?
any good?
New car needed - Aprilia
Mondeo is a good car - a nicer drive than the Passat for sure.

Try Ford Direct or a supermarket.

There is nothing wrong with ex-lease/rental cars supplied by a *good* supermarket. I have done a few pre-purchase inspections on some of these and not seen any problems. I'm not sure why some people are so against ex-rental cars. They are usually used in 'long journey' mode and generally very well looked after by the rental companies. I would happily buy one myself.

A supermarket supplied ex-lease/rental Mondeo is a 'killer buy' in terms of value for money.
New car needed - cheddar
any comments regarding the durashift thingy?
any good?

The Durashift works well with the TDCi engine however it is less economical than the manual, the Durashift allows fully auto and "tiptronic" type manual changing, HJ ran a TDCi Durashift Ghia X estate, you should find a report on it somewhere on this site.
New car needed - Bill Payer
>> any comments regarding the durashift thingy?
>> any good?
>>
The Durashift works well with the TDCi engine however it is
less economical than the manual, the Durashift allows fully auto and
"tiptronic" type manual changing, HJ ran a TDCi Durashift Ghia X
estate, you should find a report on it somewhere on this
site.

I had one on demo for a week and it murders the fuel consumption. I also felt it sometimes changed up at too low an engine speed. I'm very used to diesels but around town at 30MPH is was doing 1000RPM and it didn't sound happy.
Consider the whole life costs carefully - if you want a nearly new Mondeo auto it might be better to get the 2.0L petrol + auto. They'll be significantly cheaper up front (and more available).
New car needed - Avant
Assuming you want the same size of car as the S60, think about a Skoda Octavia - you may get a newer car for your money. Skodas are geberally reliable, as are Toyotas (Avensis), Nissans (Primera) and Hondas (Accord).

All these makes tend to have better dealers than Ford or Volvo, though there are always exceptions as mentioned in one of the posts above.
New car needed - pj4d
www.availablecar.com/
www.used-car-discount.com/
www.thecarpeople.co.uk

these places seem to be coming up with these cars.
New car needed - pj4d
ok now i see there are 3 types
ghia x
titanium x
st tdci
what are the differences and which will be the best buy?
New car needed - DavidHM
Ghia X is more or less fully loaded with leather, climate, etc. The Titanium X is slightly sportier, lacks the side protection strips of the Ghia X and adds more chrome. The ST tdci loses the leather of the other two (half leather only) but adds sports seats and more aggressive styling (body kit, sportier alloys, etc.)

Personally I wouldn't say one is better than the other but if you want a luxurious car, get the Ghia X - although there aren' many around with the 2.2 litre engine and most will have the 2.0 "130 bhp" engine. The other two will have the 2.2, 155 bhp engine.
New car needed - pj4d
hmm
a ford dealer nearby has a 1 year old ghia x in ink blue with
Power Steering
ABS
IPS
Drivers Airbag
Passenger Airbag
Parking Sensor
Immobiliser
Alloy Wheels
Air Conditioning
Leather Trim
CD Player
GPS

what is ips lol
total price is 12.5k
is that a good buy?
New car needed - DavidHM
IPS = intelligent protection system - Ford jargon for erm... airbags. Woohoo.

If the GPS is the factory satnav, that's quite an unusual (and desirable) option.

Hopefully ink blue is the metallic and not solid doom blue.

£12,500 is not a bad price at all - AvailableCar has a 54 plate one for the same money though, albeit it may lack the parking sensor and the satnav.
New car needed - pj4d
the problem is they dont put their proper prices online so i cannot tell what they want for the car
Power Steering
ABS
Drivers Airbag
Passenger Airbag
Parking Sensor
Immobiliser
Xenon Lamps
Alloy Wheels
Air Conditioning
Leather Trim
CD Player
Multi-Media