Replacement for Volvo 440 auto - Marc
Looking for a replacement for our old Volvo 440 auto. Seen a 01Y Megane 1.6 16v auto and an 0202 Astra 1.6 8v auto both at around £5500 with around 20k. The Megane is a nice car (Dynamique spec) but I've read bad things here and in Parkers about the auto box. Anybody got any experience of this car?

The Vauxhall is newer but with a slower engine but perhaps a more reliable box, however SWMBO isn't keen on Vauxhalls.

Anybody got any other suggestions? Car must be small/medium sized, five doors and with a conventional auto (no CVTs, tiptronics or other such things)

Thanks
Replacement for Volvo 440 auto - Avant
You never know whether it's been abused or not: Renaults are great if driven properly, vulnerable to abuse. It could well be worth going Japanese: with luck Blue Haddock wil be along and be able to tell you what sort of Toyota you could get for that sort of price. An Avensis would do you well, or a Corolla if you don't need the space.

A Skoda Octavia is another possibility. Cheap and reliable.
Replacement for Volvo 440 auto - Aprilia
Renault auto? Noooooooo......

Good car for you would be a Nissan Almera auto. Chain cam engine, dead reliable JATCO autobox, pretty decent handling and up-to-scratch safety features. Not up with the current pricing, but I suspect that £5000-6000 would get you a 2003 car with 20k or less miles.
Replacement for Volvo 440 auto - Ivor E Tower
Replace the 440 with a V40 ("classic" or old-shape) 5-door, or a newer V50 if you can afford it.
Replacement for Volvo 440 auto - frazerjp
>>>The Vauxhall is newer but with a slower engine but perhaps a more reliable box, however SWMBO isn't keen on Vauxhalls.

Is it a conventional auto gearbox or is it the easytronic gearbox?

If its an easytronic, you have to ask yourself how long it will last as i think HJ does on the car-by-breakdown, unless you do low milege or course?

--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)