Scrape on Rover, How much to put right? - franco
I'm looking at buying a 10 year old Rover 214, but the only thing is it has a scrape on the near side door. It seems to be deep as it goes into the body when the door is opened. The guy selling it said a Rover dealer told him it wasn't worth doing as it would cost about 500 quid, but I'm thinking at non dealer prices how much could it be done for.

I have put some photos up here. Fist one is the whole car. Second is the dent where it goes through to the body when the door is opened and lastly a close up off the door.

img101.imageshack.us/img101/1633/resize4cs.jpg

img101.imageshack.us/img101/7096/resize24hl.jpg

img101.imageshack.us/img101/8622/resize15xy.jpg
Scrape on Rover, How much to put right? - mare
Apologies in advance, maybe not the answer you wanted but:

Knock asking price down by repair;
Buy new door from scrappie (if you must);
Hammerite the sill.

OR

Buy another car.

What's the asking price of the car? It seems a lot of hassle to buy a car of this age and value and then spend a sizable proportion of the value on bodywork, unless you want to as a project.

Asking was 350 although depending on the costs of repairs I imagine i could get it a fair bit lower.

Regarding the sill, is there definately no damage to the chassis from a dent like that and would it pass the MOT with that dent??

If I can figure out the total cost of a door and putting it right I can make my mind up. It looks like a pretty clean car with lowish mileage that's why I'm still interested.
You could take the photo's (if not the car itself) to a body shop and ask.

For what it's worth, i drove over a large boulder in a car park (you know, one of those large boulders they put in planting beds to stop you driving over.... oh damn) and pushed the sill in. It passed 2 MOT's and the bodyshop thought it was OK. Therefore i left it.

HTH
The guy wants me to let him know by tomorrow at the latest. I've e-mailed a couple of body shops, but will bring them the photos tomorrow if I don't get a reply.

That's the thing. I wouldn't care about the sill if it would pass the MOT and didn't look too bad.

The only question on my mind is why would Rover have said it would be 500 quid to put right if there wasn't something more seriously wrong with it?
Scrape on Rover, How much to put right? - madf
Buy soemthing else .
Rover 214 for £350 plus body repairs + odd £250 plus for tyres etc is TOO much hassle and money.

Lots of cars for sale with new reg plates in October means world will be flooded with cars people are trying to sell.

Why hurry and buy a load of trouble?

madf

Scrape on Rover, How much to put right? - Civic8
I think from the photo`s. you really need to get it inspected by an MOT tester.Door doesnt look that bad. But the sill is badly damaged under the B post.As its difficult to see on photo I think you would be well advised to get it looked at.But will say If not sure forget it. plenty of better ones about roughly the same price.
--
Steve
"I think from the photo`s. you really need to get it inspected by an MOT tester"

Which is more money for an old car. From the advice I'm getting it seems it's not worth paying even 100 quid for so I'll have to say No. Thanks for the help guys.
From the advice
I'm getting it seems it's not worth paying even 100 quid
for so I'll have to say No. Thanks for the help
guys.

Sensible Choice!