tow rod/brace or rope? - Phil Dando

I'm towing a car this evening to a garage about 8miles away. I bought a tow brace/rod to do this. It's about 2m long and has a spring damper in it.

Is there any specifc advice to take on board when towing a car with such a device and for that matter any general towing advice.

Is a tow rod/brace better to use than a rope. I'm a little worried about having such a short distance between the two cars but I suppose they're quite well coupled so a collision is unlikely.

Thanks,

Phil
Re: tow rod/brace or rope? - Andy Bairsto
Do not forget if the towed vehicle has servo brakes and power steering they will not work very well without the engine running.
Re: tow rod/brace or rope? - Mark (Brazil)
When towing a car with an inexperienced towee in it, I sometimes used to put the handbrake slightly on ensuring that the rear car as always a drag keeping the rope tight.

It can be frightening and dangerous is slack gets into the rope and is then snapped out of it when the lead car accelerates.

It might cost you a set of pads - but cheaper than the alternative ! Especially if you're not going too far.

Plan the route beforehand and consider weight of traffic. A longer, but quieter, alternative might be better.

Agree signs to plan for braking or accelerating. If the car behind has braking power, it is better that this car does some of the braking to slow you both down - again avoiding slack and shock.

Other than that, just remember there is no prize for doing it quickly, just a whole bunch of risk.

M.

p.s. the tow car running over the tow rope is bad. Very bad. If you think it has happened stop & check, don't move off without being sure.
Re: tow rod/brace or rope? - Simon
Is it not now illegal to tow using a rope?
Its not illegal to tow using a donkey here, never mind a rope.

In the UK, who can say !?

M.
And I'll tell you something else which isn't illegal here...

I am looking out of my office window at a VW Beetle pushing a Vauxhall Chevette up the road - metal against metal - they must be doing 40 mph.
Re: tow rod/brace or rope? - Julian Lindley
Towing: A lesson never forgotten.

A young work colleague in the early 1970's broke down in his Renault, I think it was a Gordini "go faster car" rear engine, twin Webers etc. The AA arrived with a Landrover and agreed to tow it to the nearest garage. As the landrover pulled away, my colleague realised that the car keys were in his pocket and the steering lock was still engaged. He watched petrified as the Landrover gracefully pulled away forceing the side of the Renault into an adjacent building. 4 letter words all round I guess, and much humour in the office among'st his young workmates I regret to add.

Regards,

Julian
Re: tow rod/brace or rope? - David Lacey
Mark - Guy (My brother) is a pro at pushing cars at traffic lights....just ask him.

Guy - Mini and Black Beetle and the police? Do you remember?
Re: tow rod/brace or rope? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd)
I use a bar for recovery from time to time. Much better than a rope. Get somebody with a bit of common in the towed vehicle. Keep your speed to 30 or below. The towed person should concentrate on the rear of your vehicle and just doggedly keep station rather than pre-empt the road ahead. Keep the ignition on and get the towee to duplicate whatever lights you are showing rather than just putting the hazards on providing the battery is in a fit state, otherwise use a trailerboard.
Hope this helps
Re: tow rod/brace or rope? - Cliff Pope
I've heard too that a rope is illegal. Can someone confirm?
Re: tow rod/brace or rope? - David Millar
Someone should tell them down at Halfords if tow ropes are illegal. I haven't heard this rumour but have always understood that towing on a rope is illegal on motorways but otherwise acceptable on other highways. However, I still saw a couple of cars being towed by rope on the M6 just before Christmas.

On a personal note, I always find it scary both to tow and be towed on a rope, and have often wondered if the cheaper bars are up to the job.

And I always have a tow rope in the car. Last used to get an elderly lady out of the soggy, snow-covered field edge on which she had parked her Pug 205 while walking her dog out in the sticks far from a phone. However, I had to persuade her just to sit in the car with engine off and the steering wheel securely gripped while I towed her out. She was all for 'helping' by trying to drive out but was persuaded that her 205 risked a lot of damage on my SAAB's towbar if she didn't stop in time.

David
Re: tow rod/brace or rope? - Brian
I remember looking out of my office window at a car trying to force his way out on a T junction between the tower and the towee.
He hadn't seen the rope.
Doh!
Re: tow rod/brace or rope? - Dan J
When my Cavalier had to be towed [using a rope] 4 miles to a garage I was prepared for the loss of brake assistance having done it before, but you try steering a power assisted steering car without the engine - It was like fighting a bear and I am still having back pains because of it. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone...
Re: tow rod/brace or rope? - Brian
Probably a good safety issue, Dan J

Basically if the engine cuts at anything over a walking pace you lose your brakes and steering.