Astra Van 1.7DTI - plumber
I went out in my van this morning when all of a sudden it lost power and started to whistle quite loudly. It is ticking over ok
But when the accelerator is touched the whistle starts and the van will not go over about 30mph any ideas as to what this could be would be greatly appreciated

{Shouting, ie, upper case, amended. DD}
Astra Van 1.7DTI - Quinny100
Sounds like one of the hoses to the intercooler or from the turbo has blown off. Simple problem - you need to make sure the clips are done up very tight and replace them if necessary.
Astra Van 1.7DTI - none
As well as new clips well tightened (7mm socket is best), make sure that all joints are oil free. Otherwise they might well pop off again - even if tight.
ASTRA VAN 1.7DTI turbo - plumber
please help.

im having a problem, i have a whining noise coming from the turbo when accelerating , plus the van wont go over 30 mph.
i have had check around the hoses and they all apeared ok,there is no black smoke coming from the exhauste , it dosnt sound like the turbo has gone but then im no expert! could it just need some sort of flush putting through it,also thought it sounded more like an air prob but i have checked air filter. sorry to be so vague about discription.any advise would appreciated before i get stung at the garage.thanks.
ASTRA VAN 1.7DTI turbo - none
Well, back to square one. As Quinny suggested, it sounds like a detached or maybe a split turbo hose. Get someone to rev the engine whilst you have a good listen around the engine bay. And look out for oil leakage / oily deposits around the pipework. Check for soggy hoses. Concentrate on the pipes between the turbo and the inlet manifold, not forgetting the intercooler (if applicable). Pipes to and from the air filter won't be pressurised, so don't worry too much about them.
It could be anything, but checking the pressurised pipework properly really is the first step.
ASTRA VAN 1.7DTI turbo - plumber
thanks for the suggestions chaps. i have had a check around all pipes and all seem leek free and very tight. the van is only 2 yrs old but i have clocked up 180,000miles on it, is it more probable that the turbo is busted, im told that the average life is around 75,000. if so could anyone sugest how much its likly to cost. thanks