Grading of driving instructors. - Reggie
I am looking for a driving instructor for my daughter. I have spoken to three, but the last one tells me that he is graded as being a level 5.5 on a scale of 1 to 6 presumably by the driving instructing test school. Also that he is "Gold advanced".

I just wondered, are driving instructors graded like this, or is he casting his bait for the gullible?

Reggie
Grading of driving instructors. - Robin Reliant
ADI's are graded by the DSA according to their performance on an observed lesson.

Grades are,

6 Very good
5 Good
4 Adequate

1, 2 and 3 are sub standard and require further "check tests" where the required standard must be reached. There is no such thing as a 5.5.

Ask for your instructors last result sheet where his grade will be marked. Be aware that anyone can put on a performance for a one off test and achieve a higher grade than they really deserve. Best way to find an instructor is by personal recommendation.
BTW, no such thing as "Gold Advanced", unless he is claiming RoSPA advanced driving success. Anyone can claim all that sort of stuff, and I would be wary of those who go on too much about alleged qualifications.
He definately said 5.5, and to be fair to him the "Gold advanced" was in relation to an advanced driving course that he imposed on himself every three years, to keep his skill levels up, and so probably is RoSPA based.

I didn't think that advanced skills were taught to basic driving lesson students. I suppose that he was just implying that he took his driving seriously.

I know that recomendation is the best way to find a good instructor but don't know anybody who has recently taken driving lessons.

Very informative. Thanks.
Reggie
Grading of driving instructors. - helicopter
Reggie - You may not know anybody who has recently taken lessons but your daughters friends ( assuming she's 17 or thereabouts ) will know loads ...

Why not get her to ask her older classmates in the 18 year old age group who they recommend.
Grading of driving instructors. - IanJohnson
My daughter used one recommended by friends (after a year's lessons passed at second attempt (after intensive lessons with me in the interval between tests - I hadn't felt confident enough to do it from start). She later admitted that she did not like him and he frequently shouted at her (was a grade 5).

After that experience my father (ex class 6 instructor) contacted the test centre and asked the chief examiner whose candidates were best prepared - list of three did not include the one who taught my daughter but did include two class 6s. Oddly enough all were close to fully booked and the one chosen did an excellent job. try the same method - wordst they can say is "can't say anything".
Grading of driving instructors. - David Horn
I disagree with teaching "advanced skills". The advanced driving courses don't teach more advanced car control, they teach awareness and anticipating events, and if he can bring these areas into his normal lessons then he sounds like a great instructor.

These sort of things should be taught from the beginning, not starting with an advanced course or learning from experience.
Grading of driving instructors. - oldbanger
Aren't instructors grades on their driving ability *and* their teaching ability?
Grading of driving instructors. - rtj70
When I was learning to drive, my instructor asked me to be his pupil when he was examined. Cannot remember if he got a 4 or 5 but do know he never drove the car. Examiner sat in the back watching him etc.

He got marked down because it was an area he was not familiar and he had me reversing around a blind bend because we'd gone down a dead end. It was also a hill. Reason he was marked down was he should have got me to reverse to the right instead which was into a parking bay. Doh.

He was chuffed because the higher the grading the less frequent they got tested. And I got a free two hour lesson too!

I think he might have only got a four but thought he was an excellent instructor for me. For someone else he might not have been so good because of attitude, humour, etc.
I would never worry about the grade of a driving instructor. It is determined by what a senior examiner sees for one hour during a lesson. Any ADI with a bit of savvy will have carefully selected a suitable pupil and had a dress rehersal beforehand, just to make sure there were no tricky surprises to crop up during his/her assessment.

I myself put in a few Oscar winning performances during check tests, then reverted back to what I was comfortable with when the man from the ministry had departed. Best bet is to ask round, as has been suggested, and see what those who have recently passed have to say about their instructors. There are some very good ADI's out there who only ever get graded 4, and some real cowboys who can pull off a grade six performance when required.
Grading of driving instructors. - rtaylor
they should just publish stats of pass marks for instructors?
they should just publish stats of pass marks for instructors?

This has been raised many times. The problem is that any of those in the catagories where learning to drive becomes more difficult, the over thirties, people from different cultures, or those who were just slow to learn would find it impossible to get an instructor. The cost of lessons would also rise considerably as no instructor would put anyone in for a test till they were certain of success.

If you think how many lessons you took, what they cost and double the figure you would be looking at that as a base.
Grading of driving instructors. - rtaylor
you could easily quantify students age etc in the stats

I tried to get a telephone number for the local test centre this afternoon, with a view to getting some information about who is putting in well prepared pupils for test, but have been unsuccesful and assume that they are ex-directory.

I think it will be a long shot at getting that sort of information (even if I had found the number), but if you don't try you'll never know.

Reggie
I would be surprised if any examiner were to recommend an instructor to anyone who phoned the test centre. It would be viewed as a very serious disciplinary offence by the DSA, and probably result in him losing his job.