Was I beeing too fussy? Oil Overfill - Armitage Shanks {p}
My 1600cc Peugeot 206 Hdi car came back from an annual service yesterday and, when I checked the oil, I found that it was about 1/2 a litre overfilled on a 4.25 litre fill up. Thinking/knowing that overfilling a diesel can cause problems I rang the garage and they said that that much over filled wouldn't matter. I took the chap's name and said I would put a note of the conversation in the service record, to protect my future interests. He then said that, if I felt strongly about it, I could bring it in and they'd take some oil out. Am I being a bit picky, is 1/2 a litre too much a problem?
Was I beeing too fussy? - P 2501
I don't know this car very well, but 500ml sounds like a bit too much. How far over the max point on the dipstick was it?

I have overfilled mine (306 diesel) sometimes by as much as half a cm on the dip with no probs.

My gut tells me not to trust the dealers advice (especially a peugeot dealer!) so i would probably take it back.
Was I beeing too fussy? - Armitage Shanks {p}
It was above the Max on the dipstick by 1/2 the distance between max and min, if you follow! This sounds like 1/2 a litre. In the past, when the level has been correct on the dipstick the on board level check, which shows up before engine start, suggests that the level is actually a little low. Thus when I got it back from service with the on board thingy showing full I checked on the dipstick and there it was, too full! I use the computer as a guide but always check on the dipstick.
Was I beeing too fussy? - martint123
Don't take this the wrong way, but are you checking by the book?? some say check from cold and some say two minutes after warming up (and other variations). One of mine said run vehicle at tickover for 1 minute without blipping throttle and immediately check the level. Another said run it till warm and wait 2 minutes before checking. Don't some say check when engine running??
The differences in the above would easily account for a 1/2L difference.

Martin
Was I beeing too fussy? - P 2501
Well, from the sounds of it it does sound overfilled. I too have the on-board gauge check but this tends to be in the same area as the dip.In fact the on-board gauge is quite accurate if the car is level.

I don't like the sound of your dip though! half the distance from min to max over max has got to be way overfilled.

I would take it back.
Thanks, I am doing it by the book because am a By the Book sort of person. I spent a lot of my past life flying around in single engined aircraft so I tend to be very careful/methodical. It is going back to the dealer on Monday to have some oil taken out.
Was I beeing too fussy? - Dynamic Dave
I thought the garage overfilled the engine oil in my Vectra recently when it was serviced. Turned out I had the wrong dipstick fitted, ie it was too long.

If your dash oil indicator is now saying the oil level is full, but the dipstick is saying it's overfull, but previously when the dipstick was on full, but the dash indicator said low, it might be worth finding out whether you've got the correct dipstick fitted or not.
Hey Dave, good thinking! In the year I have had it there has always been a mismatch between the computer and the dipstick in that the computer reads low, I even noticed it when I collected the car. It has been reprogrammed once (the computer I mean). Do you recall trouble with the early Austin 1800s? They had the wrong dispstick fitted, oil was too low and engines died - nothing much changes - perhaps!
Was I beeing too fussy? - Peter D
No, Have the excess removed, excessive cause undue misting in the engine and increased oil consumption thus contamination for the Cat. This misting overlubes the bores and control ring and breathees excess mist into the air induction system thus the increased oil consumption. Best have it sucked out. Regards Peter
Was I beeing too fussy? Oil Overfill - Chas{P}
On your dashboard, when starting, the mileometer will display for 10 seconds your oil level. If it senses that the engine is overfilled this will flash 6 '0's in a row. All is explained in the handbook - Instruments & Controls section.

According to the handbook to manually check the oil level, the car must be on level ground and after the engine has been off for at least 10 minutes.

HTH

Charles

Was I beeing too fussy? Oil Overfill - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thanks Charles; I have been doing it 'by the book'. The area of slight concern to me is, and has been since the day I picked it up, that there has been a one or two '0' discrepancy between what the indicator tells me and what the dipstick tells me. Right now the dipstick level is 1/2 a litre overfull measured as per the handbook and the cockpit read out shows 6 '0's but not flashing ie full but NOT overfull. Ultimately one has to go by the dipstick and use the '0's as a guide, I guess.
Was I being too fussy? Oil Overfill - Chas{P}
See what you're saying. As you are checking both then if you feel it is overfull then I'd get a bit taken out. However a bit of natural oil usage may take care of the excess anyway.
Was I being too fussy? Oil Overfill - 659FBE
I have an earlier PSA diesel (TUD5 fitted to a 106D). From new, this engine was "oily" around the pulley area, and eventually started to oil up the timing belt. At that time the level was kept to the upper mark, checked hot with car level after a 2 minute wait. Before dismantling an otherwise perfectly good engine, I looked at a few others (don't get caught in car parks) and checked the documentation. Almost every other 106D/Saxo was wet with oil at the pulley end, sometimes also at the flywheel. As far as documentation goes, the oil capacity of this engine mysteriously increased by about 0.5l when the servicing intervals were lengthened to their presently insane periods. As an experiment, I ran this engine no more than 3/4 "full" between marks, and the "leak" disappeared. The engine is still completely dry at 102k miles.

My recommendation would be to never overfill a PSA engine, even slightly. They probably thought by increasing the oil volume on the TUD5, they could lengthen the service intervals....

Was I being too fussy? Oil Overfill - Armitage Shanks {p}
659FBE. Thank you for that interesting post! I am getting the level put right on Monday and I shall certainly never have the oil above full, in the future. I know the oil plays a part in cooling the engine but I don't drive hard enough for a slightly low oil level to be a cooling issue, as opposed to overfilling being a wrecking the catalyst issue!
Was I being too fussy? Oil Overfill - Armitage Shanks {p}
Problem now closed; servicing dealer took enough oil out to get the level absolutely spot on, the dipstick says full and so does the on board display, fo the moment!
Was I being too fussy? Oil Overfill - Civic8
>>Problem now closed; servicing dealer took enough oil out to get the level absolutely spot on,

By rights they should have checked it out before you got the car back..Too much of a rush to get the car out I think
--
Steve