Motorbike recovery - mare
A friend of mine went biking at the weekend on his brother's Moto Guzzi (sp?) 850, which broke down badly at Ross on Wye, suspected HGF, so he can't ride it. He needs to get it back to London (don't know where specifically, London as in within M25) where he's left his car at his brother's.

Any bright ideas for getting bike from Ross to London at minimum cost (he's broke until payday).

He's not in the AA or the like, so that's out. He's not keen on the bike in the back of a transit idea either (which was my best shot)

Thanks in advance
Motorbike recovery - Ex-Moderator
Surely bike in the back of a transit is the easiest and safest ? A bit of judicious roping and padding should ensure its safety.

The cheapest would be towing it with another bike. I don't know if that is legal or not these days, but I've done it - and legal or not, its a really, really bad idea.

So unless pushing it to the local train station and moving it as freight is an option, then I think he's stuck.

If he's going to get it repaired by a garage, can't he get one there to do it ? And if he's going to do it himself, is it worth looking for somewhere he could work on it up there ?
Motorbike recovery - daveyjp
Why doesn't he just join a recovery service? The AA and RAC will cover him immediately.
Motorbike recovery - Onetap
If he's got the use of a car with a tow-hook, I believe you can hire bike trailers. I've never done it, so I can't make any recommendations; Yellow Pages or Google.

If he hasn't, then AA/RAC or Transit hire above are better ideas.
Motorbike recovery - Reggie
A more complicated option, but option never the less is to buy a bike trailer (you will require a tow bar), then after you have used it sell it, or what about asking some local dealers for a price to pick it up.

The best option though must be the hiring of a van as previously mentioned.

Reggie
Motorbike recovery - cheddar
Get it recovered by the nearest bike shop or, better still, Guzzi dealer with a view to a quote for repair.
Motorbike recovery - mare
He's joined the AA and bunged it on the credit card. Now he's just got to get back to Ross and wait.

Thanks for the ideas