01 TDi 130 temp gauge not working - New2TDI
Hi Guys,

I have recently bought my first diesel (2001 Passat TDI130) and it is a lovely car. However I have noticed in the last few days that the temp gauge does not appear to work all the time. There are times when the gauge will start to rise to normal operating temp (90degc) but then fall back to 50. On other occasions it just doesn?t move at all.

I am not familiar with the TDI engine as yet as I have had petrol cars for the last 10yrs so I?d appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks in advance
BHM

Edited by Pugugly on 27/09/2008 at 11:09

VW PASSAT TDI Temp Gauge - Altea Ego
1/ Diesels. Warm up a LOT slower than petrols. Wont get to operating temperature as fast as your old car.

2/ The ok/low/not at all symptoms sound like a temperature sender or wiring problem. Just to be on the safe side tho, check your water, feel your hoses when hot for cold spots, and check for Head gasket failure.
VW PASSAT TDI Temp Gauge - Ivor E Tower
Depending on what sort of roads you are driving on (in town, on motorway) the gauge can take up to 5 miles (maybe more) to reach the "mid-point" around 90 degrees. If it starts to fall, then there is a problem, maybe with the thermostat or (more likely) the temperature sender (on the engine block somewhere) and/or wiring.
VW PASSAT TDI Temp Gauge - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Mine has done this on the odd occasion - but only when coasting down a long hill in freezing conditions after a shortish climb from cold.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
VW PASSAT TDI Temp Gauge - New2TDI
I drive 15 miles to work (combination of dual carriage and town drive) so I would expect the temp gauage to have reached the mid-point but today it didn't budge.

What would help is a description of whereabouts the temp sender and thermostat are located. As I said I am not very familiar with this engine.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
VW PASSAT TDI Temp Gauge - adverse camber
I think you are looking for the blue connector on the back of the engine, its a 4 way electrical connector. (or at least it is on our audi)
VW Passat TDi Temp Gauge - rob5
I had exactly the same problem with my '98 110 TDI. It was a temperature sensor fault. You will find it at the rear left side of the block . They cost about £ 27.00.
VW Passat TDi Temp Gauge - New2TDI
Is there anyway of testing the sensor before I replace it?

I just wanted to be sure as one of the earlier suggestions was the thermostat.
VW Passat TDi Temp Gauge - Tierod
Hi

The values for temp sensor as follows:
Coolant temperature 90 °C approx. 110 ohms
Coolant temperature 120 °C approx. 50 ohms

I had a the same problem and it was the temp sensor
VW Passat TDi Temp Gauge - johnsimmons
Nice post about the VW Passat TDi Temp Gauge..... However I have noticed in the last few days that the temp gauge does not appear to work all the time......Thanks for posting...

Attempt to promote some obscure American website removed

Edited by Pugugly on 27/09/2008 at 11:10

VW Passat TDi Temp Gauge - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Temp sensors fail for a pastime on these and all VAG cars.
VW Passat TDi Temp Gauge - Peter D
If the connector to the temp sensor is ok the the sensor has failed, common problem. Regards Peter