Away to Europe- in what? - Orson {P}
A slightly long and involved post, but..

Mrs O and I are off round Europe (Berlin, Krakow, Vienna, Salzburg and back through Germany/France) in August. It'll be 3000 miles or so. I'm currently trying to work out whether we should take the XJS or not. It's good fun and comfortable, but desperately thirsty, and it may break. What are current petrol prices like?

Should we take it (with AA Euro breakdown) and hope it doesn't break, or should be look at buying another car (which may or may not also break) with an eye to selling it when we return? Hire looks pricy, given that we'd want aircon and a bit of room.

The Polish travel websites also have fairly dire warnings about car crime - are they more likely to be interested in a new hire car than an old Jag (assuming nothing on show in either car?)

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I seem to be worrying a lot more! I did almost the same trip in 1998, and just got in my battered 1987 Nissan Sunny and did the whole trip with no hassle at all. I just don't really want to spend the whole holiday by the side of the road with a broken Jag and Mrs O trying hard not to say "I told you so."

Thanks,

O
--
Jaguar XJS V12 - comes with free personalised oil tanker.
Away to Europe- in what? - Altea Ego
There is only one given to factor into your plans.. The Jaguar WILL let you down.

Base the rest round that.
Away to Europe- in what? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Excuse me asking but how can 2 ways across the channel and 3000 miles in an XJS come to more than a couple of flights (even BA ones) and 3 weeks car hire, assuming that you can pick up and drop off at the same location? There could be some admin difficulties re going into Poland or members of the old 'Easter Bloc' in a hire car, I think but I would have thought the cost of 3000 miles in the Jag, plus ferries and breakdown cover would be very costly indeed.
Away to Europe- in what? - Armitage Shanks {p}
A Mondeo is £367 for 3 weeks, pick up and drop off at Tempelhof for 3 weeks in July. You might have trouble getting across the Manch for that!

tinyurl.com/9uf8m

Excuse the length of the link! {Link shortened - it's just the pop ups you have to watch out for now ;o) DD.}
The grand plan was a spin through Europe in a circular fashion, rather than a straightforward out and back. Factor in bringing some pop back from the hypo in Calais as well..

Might be worth looking at hiring a car from Calais - though what do I do with the Jag for 3 weeks? UK hire is too much for this - £500+ for Vectra, with another 400 or so on fuel. The Jag will cost about £750 on fuel, I think. We've also already got the crossing - £74 return with P&O.

The Jag hasn't actually failed to proceed yet - and so it should, given the amount of expensive surgery it's had...

O
--
Away to Europe- in what? - BazzaBear {P}
Ask yourself this:
Will it be more fun in a classic V12 Jag, or a Euro-box Mundano?
I know what I'd do, and it wouldn't involve hiring a car.
I fact, I'm doing a very similar thing myself, tomorrow. And I'm doing it in that bastion of reliable reputation, a Fiat Coupe.
Away to Europe- in what? - Happy Blue!
I would have thought that subject to water pumps being sound and radiators not collapsing it would be good for the Jag to have a run around Europe.

If it stay warm for the next few days go for a long drive in it. If it performs well, then take the Jag. Just remember not to strain it whilst on your hols.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Away to Europe- in what? - PhilW
Europen fuel prices at
www.theaa.com/onlinenews/allaboutcars/fuel/2005/Ma...c
I think I'd be tempted to cruise over there in the Jag! Don't forget the Five star RAC/AA cover though!
On the other hand if it's reliable here, why shouldn't it be the same over there, probably a lot less strain on the less congested roads provided you drive it as you do here - 3000 isn't all that far. Petrol cheaper over there Poland 70p a litre, expensive in Holland though - might be worth going via Luxembourg at 70p!
Away to Europe- in what? - Ex-Moderator
Depends. If you've got as long as you need, then take the Jag. If you end up going a bit slower to conserve petrol, or if you end up having to wait for the odd repair, then no big deal.

If, on the other hand, you have a schedule and the return date is important then I wouldn't run the risk of the Jag, even if it is more fun. I'd go with the convenience and simplicity of a rental saloon car.
Away to Europe- in what? - Big Bad Dave
"The Polish travel websites also have fairly dire warnings about car crime - are they more likely to be interested in a new hire car than an old Jag"

Don?t worry about Polish car crime Orson, they won?t go near a right hand drive car that sticks out like a sore thumb and there?s no market for XJS parts either. (I?ve only seen one other in the 2 years I?ve lived here). I too was warned about Polish car crime before I came but I saw more in Hampstead Garden Suburb than I have here. Having said that, your hire car will present a more likely target. Petrol is 4 zloty (60p) for top brand unleaded.

It?s great driving round Krakow too, you?ll see more horses and ploughs than you will tractors, what better way to do it than in an XJS. If you make it to Warsaw I?ll buy you a beer.
Marvellous! Looks like the Jag will get its holiday then. We're in no tearing hurry - a start and return date are fixed, but no real fixed stops in the middle. I'm looking forward to seeing what the fuel consumption is like on the autobahns!

Thanks for all your wise words, as ever.

O
--
Away to Europe- in what? - Happy Blue!
So Orson - how did you get on? We haven't read your musings for a month or so; so assume you have been and come back safely?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Away to Europe- in what? - Altea Ego
Well I saw someone rolling off the Fery at Caen in early August, and I thought of Orsen!