Suzuki Vitara Banger. Good deal? - franco
Hi guys, I've been looking for an old car and was offered an H reg Vitara with about 140,000 miles on the clock for 200 quid. It has no MOT on it and it looks clean (I've only seen photos so far) but the seller tells me it has been reliable although there's "A few problems with the clutch".

If the clutch needed to be replaced on this what sort of money would I be looking at?? I was really looking for something smaller as a runabout, but I'm tempted by this hairdresser 4x4.

Should I avoid it like the plague or take a risk?
Suzuki Vitara Banger. Good deal? - Happy Blue!
Ugh!
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Suzuki Vitara Banger. Good deal? - Altea Ego
RUN, dont walk, away from this potential money pit. It will empty your wallet faster than your wife at sale time, and then roll you over in a ditch as a reward.

Seriously old Vitaras are dangerous handlers.
Suzuki Vitara Banger. Good deal? - GS
Vitaras were dangerous handlers when they were new! Avoid.
Ha ha. Everything in my head is telling me to avoid it, but for legroom and because it's cheap I was tempted. I'll avoid it and keep looking out for something smaller. Cheers guys.
Suzuki Vitara Banger. Good deal? - Ex-Moderator
I dunno, I think we're a bit quick to condemn.

If it had an MOT I'd say go for it. Its not a very good car, but its a lot of fun for not much money.
It comes down to me not having much knowledge of mechanics really. The guy might say it's only the clutch, but if I get that done and there's something else it would be a pain. I was only tempted because it looked like a bargain. His original price was 450, but I really need something like a 1.2 or maybe 1.4. Also when I read some reviews on the Vitara it seemed to have a reputation for guzzling fuel. Even at 1.6.
Suzuki Vitara Banger. Good deal? - Civic8
>>Vitara it seemed to have a reputation for guzzling fuel. Even at 1.6.

Considering the car size I think it does well.BIL had one and so did a mate.neither complained.Although a lot of people dont have a good word for them. I think they are of reasonable value for money and if looked after will last for years.

Just my oppinion
--
Steve
Suzuki Vitara Banger. Good deal? - local yokel
Ask yourself if it's "only the clutch" why has the current owner not done it? Perhaps he knows more than you about the car, and that other components are on the way out, such as the gearbox?
Suzuki Vitara Banger. Good deal? - Garethj
Vitaras were dangerous handlers when they were new! Avoid.

I thought it was the SJ410s that would fall over, not so much the Vitaras?

I've owned a few Suzukis (Whizzkids and Cappuccino) and I've found that parts aren't especially cheap, rustroofing isn't as good as it could be but otherwise they can be good fun.
"Ask yourself if it's "only the clutch" why has the current owner not done it? Perhaps he knows more than you about the car, and that other components are on the way out, such as the gearbox?"

Well there are people who can't be bothered to get the MOT done, for example when they have got a new car and then just want rid of the old one, but you never know who is genuine with that reason and who is trying to get rid of a car with a lot of problems. So I take your point and I'll avoid it.