Cam belt Rover 214 - bernrado
Rover 214si M Reg. Cam belt was changed at 38k in 1999, car was also unused for a year then.
Car now at 82k. Mechanic tells me that he believes the cam belt is ok but it's up to me.
I plan to keep the car for another year as I have had a lot of work done on it and it is running not too badly at the moment. What sort of age can it achieve? I've switched to using BP petrol which makes a great difference |Asda pertrol was awful!
Cam belt Rover 214 - Chris S
I think K-series cambelts should be checked every 40,000 miles and replaced at 80,000.

As your cars an M-reg there's a good chance it will be beyond economical repair at the next MOT (no offence intended) so if the belt does go in the next year you won't have lost much.

Relax, it`s a Rover!
Cam belt Rover 214 - Civic8
I think you will find its 60k or 5 years whichever comes first.So its now due replacement. Cheaper to replace than damage caused by a snapped belt
--
Steve
Cam belt Rover 214 - DL
Spot on Steve - I'd definately reccomend a belt change. Budget for about £100ish.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Cam belt Rover 214 - Doc
Rover recommend 50k or 5 years for the K series engine.

Actualy doc.It would be better to replace before this mileage time period.As they have been known to snap much earlier.Some just outside warranty period..Later ones I think lasted longer but would still replace at around 45k..As I think rovers time limit is max not min.DL may advise better than me
--
Steve
Cam belt Rover 214 - mfarrow
As your cars an M-reg there's a good chance it will
be beyond economical repair at the next MOT

Why? Unless it's riddles with rust or abuse, a low-ish mileage car like this should sail through.

You really don't want the hassle of getting a car towed back home when and if the belt snaps, you don't know when or where it will happen.

--------------
Mike Farrow
I made a mistake.Your belt should have been changed a while ago.its overdue. Bear in mind damage due to snapped belt will cost a fortune!
--
Steve