Mud plugging in a soft roader - turbo11
Have any of you guys(or gals)out there done any serious off roading in either an X-Trail(HJ is always reccomending),Honda CRV or Freelander.If so how did they perform?.My reason for asking is a relative of mine is moving to a remote part of Exmoor(off-road to get to house) and is considering purchasing one of the above vehicles.Most info.available is only about their on-road performance.
Any info gladly received.
Mud plugging in a soft roader - Ex-Moderator
I've only been substantially off-road in the Freelander - I've probably done 500 - 1000 miles off-road in one all together. Total rubbish. Even assuming that these days they are now bolted together a little better, so that bits don't fall off so often, they are still incompetent.

I've used them on snow, mud and sand. On all three surfaces it has needed recovering at one time or another. The 4WD isn't great under any circumstances and I've had them in the position where all four wheels are spinning and also where the engine simply stalls because it doesn't have the grunt to turn any of the wheels, never mind all of them.

No low-ratio, no locking hubs and/or diffs. Its a pretend off-roader which it compounds by being lousy on the freeway as well.

On snow it just spins, on sand it just sinks and doesn't have the guts (or the low ratio) to pull itself out and on mud it does both.

Don't like. Not a bit. Not even slightly. You'd be better off with a moped - at least you could carry it out of trouble.

Freelanders - nasty little things.
Mud plugging in a soft roader - Pugugly {P}
Mind you a nice recent Defender....classless and wouldn't be laughed at by the locals.
Mud plugging in a soft roader - local yokel
"Mind you a nice recent Defender"

You will if it's got the fashion victim alloys I've seen in the local LR showroom.

Get a defender 90 pick-up, fit it with an Ifor Williams rear top, and put a Border Collie in the back and even the locals will think you're a local! Remember not to wash it....(both vehicle and dog..)
What about a Suburu Outback/Forester?
Mud plugging in a soft roader - Dave N
Mark is correct about the Freelander off road, and the same applies to all the others. No low ratio, no articulation, no locking diffs, low undercarraige (look at the rear box on an X-trail) and seriously weak underpinnings (look at the spindly little wishbones and driveshafts).

Most of the softroaders are simply cars jacked up as much as the CV joints will allow. Road tyres simply don't work, that's why tractors don't use them. It doesn't matter how many carlos fandango 'traction aids' you have, if the wheels come off the ground, or it bellys out, engine stalls, or something breaks, you aint going nowhere.
Mud plugging in a soft roader - thallium81
Don't even consider an Outback for offroading. Nice car but strictly carriageway, or show field at a push.
Mud plugging in a soft roader - SjB {P}
To a point, it ain't what you drive...

A friend decided to put the limit of softroading to the test by taking his OEM tyre equipped Megane 4x4 on an organised 'intermediate' off road session. Initially the organisers said "No", but eventually relented.

To his surprise, by continually planning ahead, deftly using the controls, and pushing the car to the limit of what it will do, he got round without once becoming beached, unlike several poorly driven Defenders.

Mud plugging in a soft roader - TimW
To a point, it ain't what you drive...

Yep, my Fiesta can vouch for that ;o)

:^D
Mud plugging in a soft roader - Stargazer {P}
Don't even consider an Outback for offroading. Nice car but strictly
carriageway, or show field at a push.

Sorry but I beg to differ somewhat. Having had an Outback in rural Oz for over 3 years on many different surfaces it can in many cases outperform a serious heavy duty 4*4.

OK the Outback has more limited clearance than a serious 4*4 (eg Patrol, Landcruiser) and so would be limited by serious rutted mud and it has a reduced approach angle compared to vehicles with smaller front and rear overhangs, it also lacks locking diffs (the most serious omission imho).

But for reasonable mud, grass or snow and ice sufaces it manages very well if driven sensibly. I have been followed by a Patrol across mud and helped dig the Patrol out after it got bogged up to the axles due to the additional weight.

On unsealed roads/tracks wet or dry in the Outback were no problem but probably more comfortable than a Patrol.

Compared to a softroader, then the ground clearance is about the same (200mm), lack of lockable diffs is the same, I prefer the fixed AWD system to some clever software that detects spinning wheels and transfers drive to the rear. The manual Outback also has a low ratio selection which can be very useful.

StarGazer
Mud plugging in a soft roader - Mapmaker
It's how you drive. Not what.

Parked in a muddy field in a 1.8 Vectra, I was going nowhere. Nobody was going anywhere, whatever they were driving. Controls handed to friend who is a *very* good driver, and off we went, leaving sundry Defenders, Discos, etc. etc. stuck.
Mud plugging in a soft roader - barchettaman
Surely the most important bit is putting the right tyres on? Slightly different circumstances I know, but on the way up to a French ski resort 18 months ago I passed two beached UK 4x4s, on normal tyres. Meanwhile, in my rubbishy old Daewoo Nubira (FWD, but with new Bridgestone winter tyres) I steamed past.

In Germany ( and Sweden, land of SWMBO) it´s perfectly commonplace in the winter, in snow, to have traffic flows of 90 - 110 kmh. I personally would like the Germans to keep more distance in such conditions but hey, at least the motorways are moving.

And whilst on the subject (sorry) I note that HJ has started recommending to people living in areas with severe winters to get a set of winter tyres (on steel rims, cheaper) rather than shelling out for a soft-roader that´ll get stuck anyway on normal tyres.

The Barchetta has a set of winter tyres (and a hard top) and laughs in the face of frosts, and tweaks the nose of surface snow.

Mud plugging in a soft roader - helicopter
Better still , get a quad bike covered in 'manure', a shepherds crook , four border collies and swear madly and wave your fist at the city drivers who kill your free roaming sheep with their fancy Japanese 4x4s ......

An old Landrover is what is needed - still the best off roader by far IMHO.
Mud plugging in a soft roader - No Do$h
Nissan Terrano, although a little long in the tooth, will outdo all of the above suggestions offroad and can be had very cheaply these days.
except the landrover of course
Mud plugging in a soft roader - SjB {P}
Commenting on the tyres debate rather than the original thread of actually driving off road:

I agree with the "winter tyres in winter" argument from experience. My employer is based in Linkoping, Sweden, and I travel out from the UK at least once a month on average. It is the law in Sweded to use winter tyres (these can be with or without studs) in the winter (as defined by specific dates) and summer tyres in the summer. NONE of my many friends and colleagues drive a 4x4. Almost to a man or woman they drive the same front wheel drive fodder that we drive in the UK, with of course Volvos and SAABs well represented. I have never known one of them become stuck, and neither have I ever become stuck.

Good winter tyres make a collossal difference, even without a limited slip diff. The first time I really experienced this as a driver was in that horrid little Hyundai mini MPV (Matrix I recall) with the equally horrid central dash display. Having nearly fallen over by walking on snow on top of sheet ice getting in to the car, I decided to try and drive away as if the road were dry rather than 'gently'. Sure enough, the car simply drove away with no fuss, and as mentioned above, a few minutes later I was cruising on a road completely covered with both loose and packed snow at the speed limit, 90kph.

So, if we experienced more snow in Bucks I'd much rather keep the chipped V70 2.4T that I enjoy so much and invest a few hundred notes in some steel wheels and winter tyres than invest considerably more notes in the daftness of a 4x4 that is inappropriate for road use 99.999% of the time.
Mud plugging in a soft roader - Altea Ego
I live in Surrey

WE have had snow for 5 days out of the last 1000. YOu seriously expect me to worry about having a set of Winter tyres?
Right then Mr Renault "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" Family, pay attention.

Winter tyres are not snow tyres. They are tyres that improve traction in ALL winter conditions. Once ambient temperatures drop below 11c you will benefit from them. In rain you will definitely benefit from them. Snow and ice? Yup, you guessed it.

We trust one is now suitably contrite.

:op
The OQ begs the question - is it just "not a road" ie a farm track with some muddy puddles or is the house in question across 10 miles of peat bog?

One imagines that the people who live there now have some experience of the conditions (which can be dire on Exmoor), and could advise. The only way to be certain is to have a true go-anywhere vehicle like a Supacat, but the cost/benefit will be unrealistic. People I know who live up there have a sensibly stocked freezer, a genny, and a full tank of heating oil and just don't go out if it's too difficult. Bear in mind that snow drifts will stop anything except a tractor with a snow shovel!
Contrition? Get out of it?

You seriously think that tyre manufacturers make tyres that dont work well below 11c?
Mud plugging in a soft roader - Xileno {P}
I am not a great fan of the Freelander either but to be fair to Land Rover, it was never designed for serious off roading. For that you want a Defender, preferably the SWB TD5. Almost unstoppable.
>>but to be fair to Land Rover, it was never designed for serious off roading.

I think that there are two points here;

1) LR never did intend it for *serious* off-roading.
2) Tyres are a big part of the performance of any vehicle off-road and the Freelander has road tyres.

However, whilst they never intended it for serious off-roading they did at least imply, if not actually state, that it was capable of offroading to a degree. Pictures of jungles, Tomb-raider, advertising campaigns etc. etc.

One would at least assume that it had more capability than a, for example, mondeo. But the reality is that it does not.

The quality issues, which may well have gone away now, didn't acutlaly affect its offroad abilty - although it was a bit of a pain keep stopping to walk back and pick up another piece which had fallen off.

The reality is that build quality to one side, it is absolutely rubbish offroad. It is not as good as even the wussiest of wussy offroaders. Virtually anything with real 4WD will out perform it, anything with a reasonable amount of ground clearance will be able to go places it cannot.

The hill descent is an ineffectual gimmick - and I have brought them down slopes where it was *really* needed.

And on top of all of that, its noisy and bumpy on the freeway, it has inadequate storage space, the back seats are awful for adults both in terms of seat comfort and space, and visibility, especially rearwards, is awful.

IMO it is a dreadful, dreadful car which has done nothing for the reputation of LR, particularly in the US.
Contrition? Get out of it?
You seriously think that tyre manufacturers make tyres that dont work
well below 11c?

They work adequately to poorly below 11c. Winter tyres work superbly below 11c.
From Michelin's website

A road is always less predictable in winter than in hot weather; irrespective of whether it's snowy, icy or just wet, the surface always gives relatively less grip than in summer.

Because of the specific form of a winter tyre, which is designed to displace the water passing under the tyre, a winter tyre reduces the risk of aquaplaning.
A winter tyre gives much better adherence and excellent traction, because it has a deeper tread than a summer tyre. In fact, the tread of a winter tyre has many more sipes than that of a summer tyre, for better grip on snow. A winter tyre is made of special silica rubber compounds, which are better adapted to the cold and enable better braking.

More than just a snow tyre, the winter tyre is actually designed for driving in all winter conditions :

- on all types of surface: on roads that are snowy, lightly or heavily iced, marginally damp or very wet and under substantial depths of water but also on cold, dry roads &
- in all of winters atmospheric conditions: fine or heavy rain, damp or alternatively very dry and cold &
- in very low temperatures.

>>in very low temperatures.

below 11c ? That's not very low.

Surely the main purpose of a winter tyre, at least in this country, is the larger tread so it is better able to cope with carp on the road, including rain or snow, rather than different behaviour in the different temperatures ?

Noisy things though.
Mud plugging in a soft roader - barchettaman
Sorry to have hijacked this offroad thread by talking about winter tyres. I couldn´t agree more, NoDosh - they are designed for and perform better in standard UK winter conditions, global warming permitting. And they make a huge difference in braking an any kind of cold wet surface.
I also think I´m right in saying that if you have an accident out here in Germany in the winter, and you don´t have winter tyres on, then the insurance is invalidated.
But for those 5 days out of the last 1000 when steady snow has crippled the UK motorway network, winter tyres aren´t going to help a great deal as you´ll still be held up by the 99% of other road users slithering around on summer rubber, piroueting into each other etc. etc. Equally, if it´s drifting, you don´t want to be out there in anything other than a snowplough.
But hey, it´s summer, the birds are singing, the top is off on the Barchie and winter seems a million miles away.
and winter seems a million miles away.

Yup, I've reached that point in the year when anticipation of the coming ski season starts to overtake the fond memories of the last.

My year is divided roughly as follows:

skiing
kayaking
mountain biking
kayaking
skiing

and I use a car to get to all of them (motoring link)

But enough of the thread hijack. I still think the Terrano will give the best offroad performance whilst still offering some comfort. The Kia Sorrento is more comfortable and better equipped but more expensive (but still cracking value for money)

If it's really "life on the edge" stuff where the ability to bring in 50 litres of diesel and a generator, plus a week of shopping and firewood, then a Defender or a Mitsubishi L200 double cab (or Nissan Navarra /Toyota HiLux) with a canopy for the load bed would be my choice.
Agree the sorrento is a suprisingly capable wagon off road and astonishing value for money.
Mud plugging in a soft roader - Happy Blue!
Yep quite fancy a sorrento to replace the Forester at some point in the next 18 months. But SWMBO refuses to get into any car with more than 10 square cm of plastic wood. The Sorrento has at least three square km of it, so I can't say I blame her.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Mud plugging in a soft roader - helicopter
-Bear in mind that snow drifts will stop anything except a tractor with a snow shovel!-

Rubbish and Codswallop - Even during the 1963 winter when I lived in the wilds of North Northumberland the road beyond our farmhouse over the moors was declared closed by the Police with drifts four foot high. When they were ploughed they were the height of the school bus.

My old man either drove the old Land Rover over the top , through or round the drifts with only occasional use of a shovel or a couple of sacks to get him going.

If the drifts were too high on the road he'd just drive off road into the fields or on the moorland. It was a very rare event when he had to get the tractor to pull him out.

Anyway if I had to be picking one of the original choices given at the start of this thread I would take the Terrano.
Very much depends on the type of snow. Round here we have big fields, and roads below them, with a hedge on each bank. Fine, powdery snow settles in the road. I've seen it 4 ft deep, and I can assure you it's undriveable. Winter of 63 snow must have been different - I was only 4, but I can remember walking on the drifts we had then, and when I (and my kids) tried walking on the powder drifts 6 years back we floundered.
Mud plugging in a soft roader - PhilW
Sorry Helicopter, I have to disagree. Snowdrifts will stop anything if they are deep enough that the undertray/bottom of the car/tractor is supported by that snow then the wheels just can't get the grip. Your old man probably avoided the deep drifts on roads by going onto fields where the snow had blown off and was less deep. Even a Land Rover can't deal with drifts as deep as the top of its bonnet (or even less), nor can a tractor unless it digs its way forward and reduces the depth of snow. And yes, I was around in 1963, and yes so was my uncle, a farmer on the edge of the N Yorks Moors and he was cut off for a month, 'cos that was how long it took for the roads to be cleared so that he could get out in his Massey Ferguson. Couldn't drive via the fields 'cos there were hedges, ditches, fences, rivers etc which barred his path, most of which had deep drifts against them. Same with mud or water, if it supports the undertray you ain't got much chance - even in water, a LR will get to a stage where it "floats" - and it doesn't have to be that deep.
Mud plugging in a soft roader - turbo11
Thanks for the feedback so far.The reason my relative wants a soft roader is that she will be driving at least once a fortnight up to London.The house in Exmoor is ok to get to in summer when the ground is hard but from speaking to a local couple it gets Very boggy in winter(1-2 foot deep).She is a very competent driver,and i was thinking what about X-TRAIL/SORRENTO ? with winter tyres and off-road driving course/instruction.Comments please.
Mud plugging in a soft roader - Harmattan
I was merely going to observe on this thread because although I have driven a great many miles off-road in 2WD and 2WD vehicle, I don't know Exmoor. However, the further explanation of the conditions suggests the answers lie in all the above advice. For serious mud, the soft-roaders will cope most of the time for short stretches but if it is an electronic sensing system for the switch to 4WD it can be foxed in unusual conditions and react too late. The X-Trail, which is otherwise superb as far as I can tell, apparently defaults to 2WD after about 30 mins on soft sand and may well do the same with mud or boggy conditions.
IMHO it has to be a permanent 4WD system such as those of Land- Rover, Land Cruiser and Subaru, or a selectable 4WD such as the Terrano.

Having been brought up on a Scottish farm with a mile-long dirt access and other tracks on the place, we used some of the solutions suggested. An old Series II Land-Rover which never went on tarmac or a tractor with a good cab. Leave it at the end of the road for months with the battery hidden behind a hedge (does Exmoor have hedges?) and it is surprising how easily they can start. If the road is a private one and not restricted by National Park regulations, identify the problem patches and get a few lorry loads of hard core in there to give some sort of foundation. It may eventually need renewing but should give piece of mind in the winter for a few seasons.

The tyres for 1-2 feet of mud need to be something better than standard fitment but aggressive tread patterns won't be so useful on the M5 and M4 commute where they could be downright dangerous in some wet conditions as well as noisy. I am a big fan of winter tyres but they wear quickly if used for a long distance commute regularly. What's great when you leave home may be quite inappropriate once the car gets to the M5.

First step might be for your friend to take the off-road course in a training centre's own vehicle or vehicles and get expert advice and a better idea of 4WD capabilities as well as his/her skill levels.

My reasonably-priced compromise would be the Terrano with a good set of tyres but it doesn't even have a Land-Rover's butch trendiness, if fashion is also important.
Mud plugging in a soft roader - school boy
Freelnder is actually quite good off-road, then x-trail then CRV.
Freelnder is actually quite good off-road, then x-trail then CRV.

Absolute rubbish. The Freelander better than an x-trail ? Absolutely no way.

Exactly where did you take all three of them off road to compare them ?
It's fact,,,see below.
It is not a fact, it is an opinion and a valid one. However that does not mean that your ranking of three vehicles has any basis in fact.

Tell me, where exactly did YOU drive these three vehicles ? OR indeed, forget the other two, where did you drive a Freelander ?
They've tested them on T.V and ive been on a Land Rover Experiance at the Motor Show. The Freelander did exactly the same course as the Defenders,, now you can't say an X-Trail is as good as a Defender. Plus all LandRovers have to be able to master a purpose built course for Land Rover and a tested to destruction. I know the X-Trail might be better built but they are not really in the same leauge.
You don't own a pink chieftain tank or a Lada, do you ?
Admit it , i'm right.
You are wrong. You have little or no idea.
Why do you hate the Freelander,, do you work for Nissan?
Mud plugging in a soft roader - Dynamic Dave
Why do you hate the Freelander,, do you work for Nissan?

You're not from these parts, are you?

A forum search will reveal why.
Mud plugging in a soft roader - blue_haddock
They've tested them on T.V and ive been on a Land
Rover Experiance at the Motor Show. The Freelander did exactly the
same course as the Defenders,

Like landrover would build a demonstration course that their vehicle can't actually complete?

I too have been on a rather tame landrover experience - a few gentle gradients, a bit of loose gravel and wading through 6 inches of muddy water. I have experienced worse conditions on the access route to some of the trials i've done!
Mud plugging in a soft roader - Sofa Spud
I used to do quite a bit of Land Rover trialling when I had my old 90. Someone brought a Freelander to one trial and surprised everyone by doing better than some Defenders / Series L-Rs / Range Rovers. Its main limitation would be ground clearance, I'd imagine. When the Freelander lifted a front wheel the traction control braked it, thus diverting all traction to the other 3 wheels.

Having said that, if I wanted to go off-roading again I'd get a Defender 200TDi.

Cheers, SS
I've used Freelanders in the Andes. A lot. They're awful. If you saw one outperforming Defenders, then I can only assume that the defender was on slicks or driven by a chump.

Its ground clearance is a pain, but the main problem is the lack of low ratio and the awful approach to 4WD. I know it sounds sensible, but it doesn't work. Actually to be fair I could never pin down whether it actually didn't work at all or it didn't react quickly enough. However, the result was much the same.
Mud plugging in a soft roader - Sofa Spud
>>If you saw one outperforming Defenders, then I can only assume that the defender was on slicks or driven by a chump.

I'm not sure if some of the Freelander's traction control equipment is optional. The one I saw did perform well, but then everyone was expecting it to do badly. The way the airborne front whell stopped spinning and the vehicle kept moving was surprising.

Cheers, SS.
Mud plugging in a soft roader - Xileno {P}
Mark, you often mention your days in South America, what about writing a thread on it with some pictures. Would be interesting.
If you included your experiences of 4x4's then it could be classed as motoring...
Mud plugging in a soft roader - Stargazer {P}
Some threads in the archive, also some pics on Lee's HJ photo pages.