Audi A4 Climate Control - Roly93
I have a 14 month old A4 which is a great car apart from the following annoying issue with the CC.
When the car is warming up and the CC is set to say 20 degrees and in 'Auto' mode, the air from the vents just gets hotter and hotter until all of a sudden it decides the temp has been reached and the airflow becomes cool. This is bearable on really cold mornings but now the weather is warmer it makes me wants overide the system and switch the fan off. Conversely, once the temperature has been reached in the cabin, it then seems to be too cold again, and the system never seems to kick back in and warm up again. I have had cars with CC for the past 7 years and have never come across such a radical system up till now.

Has anyone else seen this in their Audi ?

The dealer, of course says there is nothing wrong with it.
Audi A4 Climate Control - DL
I would compare yours to another similar car, first.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Audi A4 Climate Control - 200SXAndy
Hi Roly

Yes my 2003 A4 2.5tdi Multitronic is identical and yep the dealer says all is fine. Previous cars would be a pleasant environment at 20-22 degree, though not a sophisticated Audi it would seem.

Back to Jap cars me thinks!

Andy
Audi A4 Climate Control - Hamsafar
Ensure that you don't have air from a vent streaming near the cabin sensor, I sometimes have this (not Audi) air is drawn through a few slits in front of a sensor, and I found my centre face vent was pointed right down and was effecting it meaning I was having to manually change the controls all the time.
Audi A4 Climate Control - El Dingo
It could be that the little fan that sucks air from the cabin through the sensor(for testing the cabin air temperature) has failed or the pipe feeding it has become disconnected. Have you had the radio out for any reason?
El Dingo.
It could be that the little fan that sucks air from
the cabin through the sensor(for testing the cabin air temperature) has
failed or the pipe feeding it has become disconnected. Have
you had the radio out for any reason?

I have heard of this problem, and on investigation, this only applies to the B5 chassis not my B6 model.
But thanks anyway. I have checked the little fan behind the sensor with a tiny sliver of paper, and it is working.

Also, I think a previous suggestion of not having hot air streaming out of the centre vents may have some mileage, as I notice that the system works much better with these vents closed. In fact the only reasion I open them is because the A4 has a tendency to have wind-noise if you dont. I'm sure other A4 B6 owners will have noticed this.
Audi A4 Climate Control - mikeyb
Hi,

I have a 15 month old A4 cabriolet, and the system is likley to be the same. WHen you start up the fans only just idle, and then as the engine temp rises the fans blow harder until the set temp is reached, then they slow back down and keep the temp constant. I have mine set at 22, and am happy with it - Its rare that I touch the controls.
Audi A4 Climate Control - Bill Payer
Not the same car, but I've recently switched from a Peugeot 406 to a Merc C Class, and the Merc's climate control works in just the same way as you're all describing for the Audi.

The Peugeot was a real 'set and forget' system, but the Merc needs fiddling with, depending on the conditions. Not being able to set the airflow direction while the system is on Auto is a particularly retrograde step compared to the 406.
Audi A4 Climate Control - Aprilia
A4 climate control is not too clever. The control unit has a habit of failing too - from dry joints.
BMW 3-series (not the very latest, the previous one) also has poor operation IMHO - I can never get them set correctly, either stuffy or too cold. I think its all down to the software algorithm that they use.
Audi A4 Climate Control - 200SXAndy
Just borrowed a latest 05 spec Audi A4 whilst my 03 A4(36k miles) is having it's multitronic replaced under warranty. At 20 degrees it is the same as mine, though note temp goes down to 16 degree as opposed to 18 degree on mine before going to LO with compressor on full blast.

Regards Andy
Audi A4 Climate Control - spadger
Is it possible that the compressor could be working at the same time as the heater thus cooling the hot air even on the high setting? I can't get very hot air out of mine even though the temperature motor is working fine and going all the way and the enigine is up to 90 deg fairly quickly? There is a pollen filter so it's unlikely to have debris in the matrix and the coolant is clean. Thanks Alan
Audi A4 Climate Control - Aprilia
Is it possible that the compressor could be working at the
same time as the heater thus cooling the hot air even
on the high setting? I can't get very hot air out
of mine even though the temperature motor is working fine and
going all the way and the enigine is up to 90
deg fairly quickly? There is a pollen filter so it's unlikely
to have debris in the matrix and the coolant is clean.
Thanks Alan

The evaporator is usually upstream of the heater matrix (i.e. the air is cooled before it is heated). The evap won't drop below freezing anyway (the compressor usally shuts off at an evap temperature of 4deg. to avoid frosting). In cold winter weather its not going to have much, if any, effect. I think you may have a problem - it should get hot.
I assume from all of the input that the consensus is, that the Audi climate control just doesn't work very well but may not neccesarily be faulty.
This is surprising given that in both Passats I had the CC worked flawlessly, and the Passat is technically very similar to the Audi.
Audi A4 Climate Control - kithmo
Not just the Audi, the EATC on my Mk3 Mondeo Ghia X, was the same. I lessened the hot and cold flushes effect by pulling the sensor out of its housing and laying it down behind the lower dash panel so it draws air from behind the dash, instead of directly in front of my knee (at body temperature). It also works better when the aircon is manually switched off.