A new addition to the family - Clanger
Just arrived this evening, purchased on behalf of my elder daughter, a 1994 Citroen AX Spree 950cc, sunroof, one lady owner, no tax, new exhaust, good tyres, exterior straight but with a couple of dents, chips and scrapes, back bumper cracked, interior like new apart from the vanity mirror falling off the sun visor and the heater fan switch broken, 2 months MoT, Citroen service history to 60K miles, recorded 68K miles, handbrake adjusters believed siezed and car pulls to the left on panic braking, head gasket believed sound, trace of mayo in the rocker box, £450.

I'll knock the brakes into shape, service it with a change of fluids, put a high-level brake light in it and run it for a week or two before handing it over to daughter who lives 100 miles away in Nottingham. I'm hopeful that it'll turn out to be a good first car, what do you lot think?
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
A new addition to the family - Avant
Not much to lose at that price. She's a lucky girl to have a Dad who knows what he's doing. Citroens have more street cred than the equivalent Ford (apart fron the Ka, which you wouldn't get for £450) and she needn't panic if she has a prang, which I'm sure she won't.

Good luck with it.
A new addition to the family - Stuartli
The price is good, but remember that the AX is somewhat flimsy body wise (plastic panels in certain areas) and doesn't provide the level of crash protection of more recent models.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
A new addition to the family - PhilW
I'm sure she'll love it, hope it becomes her "pride and joy".
A new addition to the family - rtj70
Thought that sounded a bit expensive to me. Son got himself an L plate (94 reg) AX 1.4 Diesel with the same spec you say and in good nick. Came with 12 months MOT, 2 previous owners but di have about 120k miles on the clock. All for £150. Can't go far wrong with that.

Doubt if he could sell it more than he did his Panda Sisley 4x4 on ebay though! Made quite a profit on that.
I am aware of the potential hazard of crashing an AX, but I needed a car that I knew I could fix if need be.

£150 for an AX diesel with 12 months MoT? Excellent value but why weren't there any like that around when I started looking?

Hawkeye
A new addition to the family - No Do$h
Hawkeye, you've discovered the first law of internet motoring forums. No matter what the forum, when somebody has just bought or is selling their car there will be someone along within 4 posts explaining that you paid too much or are asking too much.

I always find it so helpful.
A new addition to the family - Adam {P}
With a first car, you can't really be concerned with crash ratings - your daughter would love it whatever it was.

Re the cost, if it makes you feel any better, just before I passed my test, we were considering an Ax and if memory serves, it was close to a grand.

You got a good deal.
--
Adam
Latest AX bulletin; it's just passed it's MoT with the exception of the cursed yellow indicator bulbs turned white. They got me for the same thing in the Synergie last year and now they want an outrageous £2.70 for 2 painted bulbs (including fitting). I've retrieved the "faulty" bulbs for painting and they'll then go in the spare bulb box. Some folk never learn ...

BTW daughter much improved in confidence and observation skills since she took over the car. We did the trip from Nottingham to Richmond this afternoon in a shade over 2 hours with me riding shotgun for navigation and moral support.
Hawkeye
A new addition to the family - Vansboy
Sounds good - BUT............... was it blue?? (OR red, green, yellow or whatever her fav colour is????)

VB
Sounds good - BUT............... was it blue??

Metallic blue with patterned blue upholstery. Even bluer now that we have given it a coat of Auto-Glym as a reward for passing the MoT :-)
Hawkeye