Mondeo estate dec 2002 washer - pmh
I had a quick look at a friends Mondeo because the front washers were not working. The pump motor appears to be running in that the sound it makes is consistent with a normal pump sound, the nozzles are not blocked, the pipe from the nozzles back to the resevoir is clear and connected (and pump) because I have blown low pressure air back into water resevoir to check. There are no puddles beneath car when it is operated. I have flushed the reservoir copiously with a hose.

Any other suggestions please? (PS it is still within 3rd year (dealer?) warranty and currently abroad for an extended period so that option is not available at the moment. If I had to bet on on it I would say the impellor is no longer fixed to the pump motor shaft. Is that a possible known problem?

What I did not check is if the rear washer works, could that tell me something? Do they use separate pumps (interchangeable?)

But access to the pump and reservoir appears to be just about impossible inside the front os wheel arch!

--

pmh (was peter)

Mondeo estate dec 2002 washer - Galaxy
If it's the same arrangement as my Mondeo Mk 2 there is a small rubber filter at the base of the reservoir and this gets blocked up with muck.

You need to remove it, probably will have to remove radiator plastic shield from underside of car, pump is a push fit into a rubber grommet, which is also the filter as well.

Get water out of reservior first, or you will get a very wet arm doing this!

Pull pump out, remove grommet/filter and wash under a hot tap for a few minutes.

Haynes says that to remove pump it's necessary to loosen reservoir mounting bolts, but I've just about managed to do it without by using the "give" in the rubber grommet.

Of course, it's always possible that the Mk 3 could have a totally different arrangement, but I somehow doubt it.

Hope this might help; good luck!

Galaxy
Mondeo estate dec 2002 washer - pmh
Thanks Galaxy, I had hoped that back flushing by blowing with air from a bicycle pump would have cleared that filter ! The bubbles rising thro the reservoir were significantly large bubbles. (It worked om my Fiesta recently). It looks as removal may be the only answer.

--

pmh (was peter)

Mondeo estate dec 2002 washer - sierraman
Re seperate pumps,if they still use the same system that was on the Sierra,there is one pump and polarity is reversed for the rear so it spins the other way.Presumably valves make sure it comes out of the right pipe.
Mondeo estate dec 2002 washer - Galaxy
Thanks, sierraman!

I forgot to answer that part of the question, but what you say is 100% correct; that's exactly how it works using one pump only.
Mondeo estate dec 2002 washer - trymybest
ref. Mondeo washers another thing you might try is to separate the washer pipe from the one way valve under the bonnet[pump side of the valve]and operate them.This has helped prime the system after the pump has been disturbed. Hope this is of help.
Mondeo estate dec 2002 washer - Pamela726

It's easy to take the Ford Mondeo Estate for granted. Even with healthy annual sales, few who've yet to get behind the wheel of a Mk 3 Mondeo realise quite what a superb vehicle it is mybkexperience. The press lavishes praise over the latest shiny faces in the medium estate class whilst the Mondeo continues to represent the true benchmark for dynamic excellence.

Edited by Pamela726 on 16/01/2019 at 07:14

Mondeo estate dec 2002 washer - elekie&a/c doctor
One pump does both front and rear washers. Either the pump is faulty , or the plastic tea strainer in the bottom of the bottle is all blocked up. Access to the bottle is needed to clean it out. Not too difficult. Usual access from front corner , below bumper. Some cars have a plastic stone guard fitted. Sorry , missed that , 14 year old thread

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 16/01/2019 at 07:45