Side protection strips - tawse
Is it just me or do alot of cars come with no side protection strips these days to protect against dings and such like?

Also, the cars that do have them appear to have them low down and not on the extreme of the convex - I mean, the point where the door would most likely knock or be knocked. What is the point in this?
Side protection strips - Dynamic Dave
The worse culprits for door dings are other peoples rear doors with the pointy corners. I agree though, the strips these days appear to just be for decoration than actually serve any useful purpose.
Side protection strips - Tomo
Yes, I have just paid out much money for a new offside rear door after an assault in the local hospital car park (Tesco is a kindergarten compared with it!). The strip did nothing to reduce the damage which was mostly higher up (4x4? - no, let's not go into that again!).
Side protection strips - Sprice
You could fit aftermarket door edge protectors, these help if you open a door near a wall etc. I suppose the same can be said for bumpers- its not as if they actually protect the car, theyre just designed to look fashionable and good.