New mini- electrical sound - vwdriver
I have noticed that minis all seem to make a strange electrical sound when travelling slowly. Does anyone know why this is, is it electrical power steering?
New mini- electrical sound - martint123
Please describe what an "electrical sound" is.
New mini- electrical sound - vwdriver
It is a wining sound particularly noticable when the car is turning sharply at low speeds. Hope this helps!
New mini- electrical sound - Quinny100
Its the electric power steering pump. Its normal and they all do it unfortunately - sounds like a cat being strangled from outside the car during low speed maneouvers.
New mini- electrical sound - kithmo
If its a Cooper S then it could be the Supercharger noise.
New mini- electrical sound - Citroënian {P}
I reckon it's the power steering. BMW in the US actually made a selling point of it, comparing it to the whine of the original Mini.

It is very distinctive, part of the car's character especially when you get a hundred or so of them together...

You'll also find it "bongs" at you when it gets cold (I think < 3 degrees), that's not very well documented either.

Lots of other interesting stuff in the unauthorized MINI manual (from BMW) - 1.95Mb so takes a few seconds to load & you'll need Adobe Acrobat :

www.motoringfile.com/files/unauth_manual.pdf
-- Lee Having a Fabialous time.
New mini- electrical sound - Robin Reliant
As the MINI is a car for fashion concious young things, it's probably the sound of the drivers hair drier.