Talbot Express- no reverse when hot - Frogeye
My friend has just bought a "K" registered passion wagon based on a Talbot Express 2.5TD. It has done 58,000 miles. As a precaution he had the cambelt and clutch changed. Since then it will not engage reverse gear when hot. It does not grate but just refuses to go in. No problem when cold. The clutch cable has been adjusted again with no improvement. Could it be the gear selector cables/rods?

Thanks for your support.
Update. The van has been back to the garage who replaced the clutch. They admit that it will not go into reverse but say this is a gearbox fault and that it is a coincidence that it appeared at the same time as the clutch was replaced. What can we do?
Talbot Express- no reverse when hot - Civic8
>>As a precaution he had the cambelt and clutch changed.

I can understand having the cambelt changed.But for what reason was the clutch changed..If there was nothing wrong with it why change it?.But from what you said it sounds like internal selector problem or reverse gear prob.Is the gearbox noisy when stationary?
--
Steve
Talbot Express- no reverse when hot - greatspirit
the linkage on the express is complex and would have had to be disconnected to change clutch....has probably been reconnected wrongly...gearbox itself is probably ok
My theory, 100 miles away from the passsion wagon, was that the linkages may have been bent/unadjusted on removal, the fact that it will not engage when hot, indicates to me that the adjustment is right at the edge of its limits.
Talbot Express- no reverse when hot - Chris TD
Bit late, but been off the backroom for too long. Had a similar problem with ours but a mag article indicated that the complex linkage can foul if the engine mountings are loose/worn. In ours it was if you were at a slight slope to the left - engine moved on teh slope and caused reverse to be blocked. Fix was to replace mountings and adjust.
Cheers. Chris TD