Spot diagnosis - Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 - BazzaBear {P}
Hi there

This symptom has only just appeared on my wife's Corsa so, while she is booking it into a garage anyway, I thought I might as well see if there's a known fault or anything.
It's the 1.2 16v engine, and has started making a slightly worrying clunking noise. This is quite a rapidly repeating noise, and the rate changes with the revs.
I've had a very quick look under the bonnet and the noise doesn't seem to be coming from the engine itself, but from the left of it, down below the alternator belt.

Can anyone give any suggestions as to causes? And, more importantly, is she safe to drive it the 10 miles back home after work today?
Spot diagnosis - Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 - holly1
I am sure someone here will be able to help you but we experienced a similar noise from our 1.4 8v Astra last year and it turned out the bearings had gone in the waterpump.
Cheers Daisy

Also, can anyone tell me what is included in the 40k mile service, since it'll have this done while it's in?
I had thought the engine (1.2 16v) was a cam-chain, but now I'm not so sure.
Spot diagnosis - Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 - bimmer-driver
Its definitely chain cam
Cheers, that's what I thought. So definitely not affected by the EXOTEK advice a few threads down, despite having ECOTEK written all over the engine then.
No. ignore that. The only Corsa engines with a belt are the 1.4 in the SXi/SRi, the 1.8 in the SRi and the 1.7 diesels.
Ok, now I'm just getting confused. I have looked under the bonnet again and, bearing in mind that I am not mechanically minded, there is no chain there, there's a belt.
I had assumed before that just the alternator was connected by a belt, but I've looked more closely and the belt goes to the alternator and to two or three different cogs/tensioners on the engine. So that's a cambelt then, right?
But this engine doesn't have a belt, it has a chain, right?
Please help me. I'm losing my marbles.

I'm also more and more sure that the grinding/clacking noise is coming from that area, thinking possibly one of the tensioners is on the way out. Belt is perfectly tight though.
Ive just had a look on mine and as far as I can tell the extra alternator belt bits may have something to do with air-con/PAS. The reason you can't see the camchain is because its fully encased and immersed in oil.
The reason you can't see the camchain
is because its fully encased and immersed in oil.

That's a good reason! Thanks again. No air-con, but PAS is a very good suggestion.
Spot diagnosis - Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 - Adam {P}
I don't think you're looking at the timing belt there BB. On mine (admittedly not a Vauxhall) you can't see the timing belt at all. I thought most cars now were like this.
--
Adam
Spot diagnosis - Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 - Dynamic Dave
Adski's right. If a cambelt is fitted, it resides behind a plastic (or tin plate on some cars) cover, and normally can't be seen without first removing the cover.
In the interests of closure, and in case anyone cares, the very first answer was correct. Water pump on the way out, and now put on order by the garage.
Spot diagnosis - Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 - Victorbox
If it is the same as out 1 litre 2002 Corsa, does the large drive belt to the left of the engine feel a bit loose? If so, near the alternator is the spring loaded automatic belt tensioner. The spring is about 8 inches long plus a metal "frame". Our tensioner "frame" has just snapped due to what looked like a flaw in the metal casting. Replaced under warranty with a new belt as well.
The spring you describe is indeed there, and it was my first thjought for what the problem might be, but it's all very tight.
Water pump bearing failure has been diagnosed now, and a replacement pump is being fitted tomorrow.