CG125 Honda running in - Greg R
I have a newly purchased cg125. I currently am changing gears at circa 4.5-5000 rpm to prolong the life of the engine. Is this a good place to change gears or not? What would be the optimun rpm to change gears before and after running the engine in.

Any information from cg owners or not would be appreciated.

Also, what would be the best way to clean and polish the chrome. Would wd40 and a cloth be sufficient protection?

Many thanks for your answers.
CG125 Honda running in - doctorchris
I doubt whether you really need to run this engine in unless the manual says so. I would make sure in its early days the engine is run at different engine speeds and not long distances at one speed.
As regards the metalwork, use a non-abrasive metal cleaner and try not to ever put the bike away dirty, especially with road salt, or wet.
If you are going to use it in winter you will probably want to cover as much of the chrome as possible with an impervious layer, something like Waxoyl maybe.
CG125 Honda running in - Greg R
And, how many miles should I expect out of this engine and what sort of problems should I expect from this motorcycle. I will have it serviced regularly.

And finally, how many miles per gallon will this bike be doing long term?

CG125 Honda running in - Simon E
Try a Google search. 80mpg is realistic, probably more.

If you change the oil regularly the engine should easily last 30-40,000 miles, probably more. Things like swingarm bushes and other joints are more prone to problems, being exposed to the weather.

Try this forum:
autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Small-Honda-Singles/

Simon.
CG125 Honda running in - SjB {P}
Although Stone Age in an engineering sense and no longer built in Japan, the CG125 has a pretty well bullet proof, under-stressed, engine. When I did my Direct Access training some years back, the CBT element was partially done on CG125 machines. The one I rode had over 50,000 miles on the clock, showed cosmetic signs of being dropped and abused by learners, and was thrashed mercilessly by the tutors, but never missed a beat.

BTW - Different engine, and one that is admittedly water cooled (so is more operating temperature stable) but which is much more highly stressed mechanically: A fellow member of the Hornet's Nest web community has now passed 100,000 miles on his Hornet 600, having lubricated this rev-happy engine (13,500RPM red line, cut-out at 15,000RPM) on cheap Castrol Magnatec car oil, friction modifiers on wet clutch and all! A lot of his riding is with full Givi "drum kit" on the back, and/or two up, thus placing more load on the motor as well.