Aftermarket reverse park sensors £29.99 - GreatestDancer
Noticed these advertised in auto express a couple of weeks ago from an online retailer... Anyone have any experience of them? They sound really cheap, and although there's no mention of them automatically coming on when you engage reverse, I'm sure if they were wired up to a reverse lamp they may work in this way...?

Here's the link:

snipurl.com/f8jl

Click on cars&motors and they're on the bottom right. {Link amended and now goes directly to product. DD}

Cheapest I'd seen park sensors before was about £59.99....

Rich
Aftermarket reverse park sensors £29.99 - Armitage Shanks {p}
The sensors have, presumably, got to be attached to the rear bumper and the wiring concealed (how?). The text in the advert says you have to switch it on yourself when reversing so it sounds a bit cheap and cheerful; made in China for under £5 I'd guess.
Aftermarket reverse park sensors £29.99 - sierraman
Netto do something similar for £20.With only 2 sensors could you rely on it?
Aftermarket reverse park sensors £29.99 - Altea Ego
Is Ronco back again? I still have the bottle and glass cutter if anyone wants it. Or the Ktel record cleaner?
Aftermarket reverse park sensors £29.99 - David Horn
Just get something off eBay.
Aftermarket reverse park sensors £29.99 - Rishab C
BREES ones off ebay are good.
Be careful when fitting, the angle of the sensors in relation to the ground are critical for reliable operation. If possible, get 4 sensors and a plan of how the OE sensors fit. (ie positions and azimuth angle to cut the holes.)
The sensors are easily colour coded with an aerosol.

Fitting will probably be a bumper off job unless you can reach behind, and also find a grommet hole through to the boot.
Aftermarket reverse park sensors £29.99 - chuck
Ronco - it's been renamed to JML, he he. "Buy cheap, buy twice"
Aftermarket reverse park sensors £29.99 - artful dodger {P}
Why are they battery powered? The set I bought on ebay with 4 sensors cost slightly less and run on the cars battery. Yes they only operate when reverse is selected as power is from the reversing light. They are very easy to fit and even came with a hole cutter.

My opinion is they are a great inexpensive extra that do help in gauging the distance of any object from the bumper. I would certainly fit another set to my next car if it did not have them as standard.
dodger what's the name of yours as i can then do an ebay search. I would far rather buy something with a recommendation from someone on here if possible so if you bought a set of 4 for sub £29.99 that are vaguely decent I want to know!!

Cheers
Rich
Hello Rich

I bought them last October from t.g.online (ebay user name) for £27.99 plus £5.00 p&p for 4 SENSOR BUZZER PARKING SENSOR. To check what they have for sale go to advance search and then click on items by seller. Copy the user name and all their listings will be shown.

Decided it might be better to give the link to their ebay shop.
stores.ebay.co.uk/TG-Online-Trade-prices-d-rect_W0...m

Had a look through their lots and found Item #4552864433 is the same as my sensors, but they are now only £22.99 plus £5.00 on a Buy It Now price.

Even better value than when I bought mine. They really are very easy to fit. My car was slightly different to wire in as the rear bumber hinges down, so I had to be clever with the cable route.

I can recommend this product.

Cheers - just ordered a set, we'll see how I get on. They're actually for the wife's volvo 850 estate so hopefully she'll be happy - it's a black plastic bumper so the standard black set should look good enough. If installation is easy I might just try getting a set for the front as well - perhaps could wire up to the front foglights....

Rich
Hello Rich

Glad you picked up the message in time for that lot - anyway they always have some for sale. My car is dark metallic blue and I could not be bothered to paint the sensors as they are so close in colour to the paint. Before drilling do check what is behind the bumper as there may be some re-inforcing or packing. Also try to have them as evenly spaced as possible to make them look professionally fitted. If there is a slight angle off the vertical on the bumper then the wedged shaped washers should take out most of the problem. One little tip check each sensor is numbered and then connected in the same order as if you have a problem it is then easier to know which sensor is which. When routing the cable try and find an existing hole through the bodywork as this will keep the area rust free. I found that the beeber was quite loud so it is mounted inside a quarter panel, also nothing can catch it. I am sure your wife will be very pleased with them.

If you mount some on the front bumper you must be able to switch them off as if you are in slow moving traffic they could keep being set off - very annoying. You could use the front fog lights or a separate switch on the dashboard (use a matching Volvo switch).
Aftermarket reverse park sensors £29.99 - Chad.R
I also bought a set (of 4 sensors kit) for the Landcruiser and have a small query regarding placement - do they all need to be in the same horizontal plane* i.e. the same height from the ground?

The Landcruiser rear bumper is an elongated U shape with the lights integrated into it at each end of the "lower" bar. When the middle sensors are in lower bar, the only place to put the outer sensors is in the vertical bars of the U due to the lights. This would mean that the outer sensors are about 2 inches higher than the inner ones.

Would this be a problem?

* Obviously they need to be in same vertical plane with the rear of the car and preferably, equally spaced out.
Hello Chad.R

It should not be a problem as you are using the sensors to find the closest object to any of the sensors.

If for example there was a post in the ground close to the near side then you want the rearestsensor to let you know it is there. It does not matter that the other sensors do not detect it. The control box does this for you.

The only time it might make a differece is with a kerb or horizontal bar, but to be honest 2" difference in height is not going to be a problem as you will probably stop reversing before you have the continuous sound, this is only sounded when you are within 4".
AD, thanks for that - waiting for the rain to stop to get things prep'ed and started.
well to cut a long story short I've now fitted the sensors to my wife's car.

Took about 3hrs all in.

Very disappointed. They just go off all the time, as in little chirps now and then when you reverse. Yes when you get to a wall they then get more frequent and then continuous, so they do help but the constant beeping / chirping when general reversing is just too annoying. After a day the wife made me disconnect them....

Having said that the kit does look high quality and they do fit well into the bumper and look good, it's just the actual way they work... :(

Oh well only £25 wasted not too bad

Rich
Aftermarket reverse park sensors £29.99 - David Horn
Rich - it sounds like they're picking up the ground. Did they come with any washers so you can point them up a bit more? The stock ones in my grandad's Accord are excellent.
I agree with David Horn, the sensors must be picking up the road.

The sensors should only bleep when reverse is selected and when any object comes within their range.

Are they directed slightly downward? They must be vertical. The washers with my set were wedge shaped and could be used to correct a slight directional problem. You could always think of an alternative method of correction suitable to your bumper.

If the sensors are vertical, then I would contact the vendor for advice and/or replacement.
I agree with David Horn, the sensors must be picking up
the road.
The sensors should only bleep when reverse is selected and when
any object comes within their range.
Are they directed slightly downward? They must be vertical. The washers
with my set were wedge shaped and could be used to
correct a slight directional problem. You could always think of an
alternative method of correction suitable to your bumper.
If the sensors are vertical, then I would contact the vendor
for advice and/or replacement.

Yep I may yet have another go at it - they came with washers but they were so small that it wouldn't have made much difference. Sensors were pretty much vertical - I'm willing to point them upwards if this will help but in order to do that I have to remove the sensors, bore out more of a hole in the foam behind the bumper fascia then refit, and right now I can't face the extra work.... Maybe one day!

Rich
Well today it stopped raining after several weeks of torrential dowmpour! ;-)

I've finally managed to fit the sensors to the LC and am very pleased with the results - works a treat.

Many thanks to the Artful Dodger and others.

Thanks for the feedback.
Aftermarket reverse park sensors £29.99 - Geriatric Germ
Hi just looked here stores.ebay.co.uk/TG-Online-Trade-prices-d-rect_W0...m says 'Shop Now Closed' any ideas please?
Aftermarket reverse park sensors £29.99 - local yokel
Try:

search.ebay.co.uk/reverse-sensor_W0QQfromZR40
Aftermarket reverse park sensors £29.99 - J Bonington Jagworth
Dare I suggest that practising parking with some cardboard boxes and/or bricks and sticks in an empty car park might be a cheaper option?

That's how my daughter and I managed it, and she's pretty good...

(Dons crash helmet and ducks below parapet..)
Dare I suggest that practising parking with some cardboard boxes and/or
bricks and sticks in an empty car park might be a
cheaper option?

Would it? The sensor kit was £28 and it's DIY installation. A repair for a small scratch/dent/scrape would be more than this......

What you have to remember is that parking sensors are a reversing aid and as the name suggests, they are there to help, not to be completely relied upon - you still need to use your skill and judgement.

In my Landcruiser if anyone below about 4ft is standing directly behind the car you simply can't see them. On my (ex)Omega it was a bit better but not much (though I never had RPS installed).

As I see it, if it helps me avoid an incident, even if it's only a small scrape or dent, then it would have been £28 well spent.
Aftermarket reverse park sensors £29.99 - J Bonington Jagworth
I'm sure you're right, Chad. I'm just jealous, really :-)
Aftermarket reverse park sensors £29.99 - blue_haddock
Chad - Your situation is one of the few times i think park sensors are a good idea. On big things like Landcruisers or even panel vans with no rear windows they make sense but i can't see the point on things like anything smaller.
Aftermarket reverse park sensors £29.99 - Ex-Moderator
>>i can't see the point on things like anything smaller

Does there need to be a point ?