Blowing out the cobwebs. - Imagos
Is there any truth in the old motoring cliche, give the car a good thrashing and blowout the cobwebs?

What i mean is say your car is only used for short journeys or it hasn't been used for a while or it's running a bit rough, drive for say 10 miles flat out and 'blow out the..
Blowing out the cobwebs. - David Horn
I'm tempted to do this on my own car, but it's due a timing belt change in 4000 miles (80k apparently) and I'm a bit loathe to chance things.

Doesn't mean it never gets taken occasionally to the red line when it's nice and warm though.
Blowing out the cobwebs. - storme
its called "an italian tune"

give the car a good blast every now and then to clear the exhaust, you will notice a difference,,,,,its a well known MOT trick,,,can often make a failed car, pass the test
--
www.storme.co.uk
Blowing out the cobwebs. - Roly93
I think this is definately true for all diesels, much less so for modern petrol cars.
Blowing out the cobwebs. - WhiteTruckMan
I thought the first blast on the accelerator of a diesel emissions test was known as the purge and didnt count when measuring the particulates, as it threw out all the crud that had accumulated in the exhaust system (cobwebs?) since the last thrash.

WTM
Blowing out the cobwebs. - Pugugly {P}
Tee Hee....Heeeheeeheheeeeheee !

Do it, wait 'til its warm though
Blowing out the cobwebs. - Blue {P}
Whilst my car is lying terminally ill I've been using my gran's Focus.

She uses it for very short runs and covers about 2 - 3,000 miles per year, when I first got it the engine seemed to hesitate before providing power when I put my foot down in second.

After just 4 days of my driving, covering more mileage whilst warm and giving it a healthy dose of right foot it now picks up much more smoothly and generally drives a lot better.

I never used to need to blow the cobwebs from any of my cars, 15,000 miles per year of my driving saw to it that none were allowed to build up! ;-)

Blue
Blowing out the cobwebs. - Dynamic Dave
I remember reading somewhere - might have been here? - that the modern 16 valve engine needs a good reving above 4,000 rpm every now and again to get the valves to rotate so that they don't get complacement and stay in the one place for too long.
Blowing out the cobwebs. - frazerjp
Dave- Would this have the same effect on the Endura-E conrod engine in my Ford Ka with valves sticking being only an 8-valve.
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Blowing out the cobwebs. - Oz
Tee Hee....Heeeheeeheheeeeheee !
Do it, wait 'til its warm though

Especially effective at night when you can get a real appreciation of the result in the following car's headlights. ;-)
Oz (as was)
Blowing out the cobwebs. - Altea Ego
I toodle around quite sedately for some time, its useful for that moment when some oik tailgates you, to drop down a cog or two and unleash a noxious cloud of best French merde.

Luverly
Blowing out the cobwebs. - Happy Blue!
Rented a Fiat Doblo diesel last year. It was the 1.2 litre engine, so was as slow as a snail.

However, after a few days of giving it a good trashing, up and down hills, full of family, it was remarkably sharper in town and the economy also improved.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Blowing out the cobwebs. - Pugugly {P}
Especially effective at night when you can get a real appreciation of the result in the following car's headlights

Ha. Saw this effect last night, when a DB9 driver with some dodgy xenons suffered this effect, blown off by a diesel...he caught up pretty soon though - and passed...
Blowing out the cobwebs. - helicopter
I lent the Civic to helicopter jr yesterday to go on a run to Warwickshire from Sussex and certainly noticed the difference today - the car usually only gets shortish runs and was much more responsive today.

He even put petrol in it as well so a bit of a result all round.
Blowing out the cobwebs. - David Horn
No, the trick is to dip the clutch and floor it as you pass a cyclist that's been holding you up for the last 3 miles. Used to work best in my dad's L-reg 1.9TD Peugoet 306.
Blowing out the cobwebs. - bimmer-driver
I took my parents to Manchester airport soon after I got my Corsa. Before I had it it had only been used for pootling around, but it feels a different car now after sitting at 4000rpm on the M6 for an hour. It didn't do the mpg much good though.