primera - timing chain or cambelt - brg190 pete
Could the forum please just confirm something for me. I have recently had my car serviced, and no mention was made of changing the cambelt. On the worksheet I was given after the service, there was a note that the cambelt should be changed at 54,000 miles, but my mileage was more than this, and this has not been done.

I wonder if the worksheet just covers all eventualities (ie not specific to my car), as I believe the Primera (which is a 2.0 petrol on an X plate) has a timing chain not a cambelt - in which case nothing needs to be changed.

Can one of the experts out there confirm that my car has a timing chain, and that therefore it does not need to be changed?

Also, my front fog lights are not working. Have tried to trace the problem, but without success. I believe front fog lights are not tested as part of the MOT, so my car should not fail if they do not work. Is this right?

Thanks in advance
primera - timing chain or cambelt - Sprice
Its a chain on yours, the diesel had a belt though.
primera - timing chain or cambelt - mjm
Front fog lights are not tested on the mot.
primera - timing chain or cambelt - brg190 pete
Thanks for these replies. My wife has a 1.0 petrol Micra (98R). Do you know if this also has a timing chain rather than a cambelt?

Out of interest, why don't all cars have timing chains like my Primera, given that timing chains don't need to be changed but cambelts do (at £200+ a time, no doubt)?
primera - timing chain or cambelt - thallium81
Chains cost more than belts and they need to be lubricated efficiently.
primera - timing chain or cambelt - Sprice
The micra will have a cam chain too- most nissans of the era did, however, now they are under renault's control this might change!

There have been numerous discussions on this forum over chain/belt and which is best.

Chains are obviously stronger, but need frequent oil changes or can rattle with age (some chains have been known to snap however).

Belts are cheaper, quiet, but need to be changed periodically.