Experiences of BMW 330D Automatic - grn
Hi,

I am looking to buy the outgoing 3 series 330D in auto guise (have owned the manual version with no problems).

Has anyone got any exprience of the 330D with the auto box?

Thanks in anticipation!

Experiences of BMW 330D Automatic - ihpj
Fuel consumption aside, IMHO these cars are best driven with an auto (tiptronic) box since you don't really want to be faffing about with gear changes and the like - but rather concentrating on the drive and feel of the road :)

Don't get me wrong, I was a firm manual proponent before...but have switched sides to auto since taking the plunge and buying a 330SE petrol. My 52 plate Passat was a V6 TDi - six speed manual. With hindsight, wish I'd have gotten it as a tiptronic. But the point is, cars with an engine over 2.5l should be auto...good luck with your hunting!

-----
Im not plain stupid, just a special kind of stoopid.
Experiences of BMW 330D Automatic - Oz
Very important to add to this discussion which I learned today:
BMW owners should check their on board computer has been configured for Imperial Gallons, not US gallons! I gather that 'it is known' for Beemers to exit their PDI inspection without this having been done. The adjustment is very quick and simple one for the owner to do.
Oz (as was)
Experiences of BMW 330D Automatic - Pugugly {P}
Would that give a rather bleaker MPG figure ?

How do you adjust it - more importantly how do you tell whether its in Imperial or not ?
Experiences of BMW 330D Automatic - Oz
Would that give a rather bleaker MPG figure ?

Yes, on the basis that there is a 20% difference in the size of the two different 'gallons', Imperial being larger. Therefore the system will think you've used more 'gallons' than you thought.
How do you adjust it

I'll ask my technician friend
- more importantly how do you tell whether its in Imperial or not ?

Same answer, the configuration procedure involves a selection of one or the other.

I only know (assume) that mine is in Imperial because the physically measured MPG (i.e. the odometer mileage divided by the volume of fuel added from the pump) corresponds fairly closely to the on-board computer figure.
The OBC is nearly always higher by 1-1½ units, but if the OBC was set to US gallons, the discrepancy would be around 20%.
Oz (as was)
Experiences of BMW 330D Automatic - Peter S
I've done just over 5,000 miles in my '05 330d Auto, with very little urban mileage, and have averaged 34 mpg according to the OBC. It's a touring, in case that makes any difference. The economy has improved slightly as the mileage has increased and the engine loosened up, but not by much, and it does feel more responsive now.

However I find that the auto box doesn't really make the most of the torque available, as it is a little too keen to kick down. I often resort to using the manual mode to hold it in 5th to prevent this, especially on motorways...

Hope this helps

Peter
Experiences of BMW 330D Automatic - grn
"However I find that the auto box doesn't really make the most of the torque available, as it is a little too keen to kick down. I often resort to using the manual mode to hold it in 5th to prevent this, especially on motorways... "

Snap! After 3 days on the motorway in the 330D I do the very same thing. It's desire to down-shift just because you squeeze the throttle at motorway speeds seems a bit OTT.

Rgds.

Experiences of BMW 330D Automatic - Pugugly {P}
Lesson #1 in why to buy a manual - You and no-one else chooses the ratios.