convertibles: with room in the back! - nortones2
A friend who has a fondness for these things wants to replace a Vauxhall, of the soft-roof persuasion and I wondered are there any significant pointers to help decide. Main parameters are: 1. not stratospheric price, but Audi, BMW and Volvo are markers of where her possibilities lie. 2. Must have some room in back as adultish son (when around) is 6' plus. She zips about the country, so longish journeys need to be comfortable. Audi are pretty well out of it having "deffed her out" on visiting the local dealer. Volvo a possibility, as recommended by a sensible BMW dealer who's vehicles are apparently a trifle short on the leg space. So, a fairly broad spec. I, for once, have simply no opinion! Grateful for any insights given.
convertibles: with room in the back! - BazzaBear {P}
You've already mentioned where my vote would go: Volvo C70. Lovely car.
convertibles: with room in the back! - DavidHM
Assuming she doesn't want new, another vote for the C70. Stylish, okay to drive, safe, practical.

If it is new then a Saab 9-3.
convertibles: with room in the back! - blue_haddock
My first thought was a Saab 9-3
convertibles: with room in the back! - Cardew
My first thought was a Saab 9-3

I drove a Saab convertible; a promotion by Saab where I was met at an Airport and drove it to the Hotel.

Looked great inside and out, and a really nice engine. However it had a wheel balance/tracking problem and the whole body shook and vibrated alarmingly; worse than anything I have driven. Scuttle-shake to end all scuttle-shake!
convertibles: with room in the back! - daveyjp
My boss has a 1995 vintage Saab convertible and it has plenty of room for 4 - done 150,000 miles and not an ounce of trouble.

Word of warning! When enquiring ask how much it is to replace the rear window. A recent Autoexpress piece highlighted a major flaw with convertibles - the cost of rear window replacement. The design of new convertibles means a broken rear window quite often means a complete new roof assembly. Examples given were a new Mini at over a grand, but the most expensive was the Audi A4 - cost to replace over £3,000!
convertibles: with room in the back! - nortones2
Sounds like the Volvo C70 might have the edge. As for running costs, and rear windows, I'd also be a bit worried over the rag-top aspect, but I guess she isn't, and its her decision. Cheers.