Car Service Due at 70k. help/tips/advice - silentme
OK, I have spend the last hour reading this forum lots, searching about all of this, and I have noticed that not many people are fond of or even recommend to do engine flushing at all.

This is the current deal: I have a Civic it has 71k miles, just hit that. The previous owner had it at 50k and sold it to me at 69k. I had always been serviced upto 50k (with a stamp) I know he has maintained the car, but i dont know to what extent and how much work has been done, how many oil changes. He done stuff like a new exahust and new radiator and new battery. I purchased some new sparks, and have got the oil filter and air filter, and probaly a fuel filter.

He has told me that the majour service is due, belt change (getting done on Thursday) but im thinking its been servied upto 50k with stamps and i reckon he may have carried out the work, so why not flush the engine when doing the oil change to be on the safe side.

Its a good car, just feeling sluggish now so maybe it might do the car some good, so people...any ideas....i will get the valve clearences' checked when the belt is changed.

I have heard about the two engine flushes. one is the Forte common one, another is this VAG one that I have just learnt about, how do you people rate this stuff, shall i use forte or shall i use the VAG stuff...?

Also what order shall i carry out the service.

1. Belt Change. (will allow me to see state of engine too)
2. Oil Change (maybe flush - depending on what people say)
3. Forte/VAG Fuel system cleaner (what one is better??)
4. Fuel Filter.
5. Air Filter.

I think thats enough for the car.

I know ive gone on a bit, but lets see what you experts think!!
Purchased spark plugs, will put in after fuel filter change/ fuel cleaner.
Car Service Due at 70k. help/tips/advice - Dave N
Forget the cleaners/additives etc.

You may also consider changing the coolant and brake fluid.

And use a genuine filter, not cheapo aftermarket junk.
coolant has been changed when the radiator was replaced. dont know about brake fluid.

What will restore the lost power if not using any cleaners or flush products?

thanks
Car Service Due at 70k. help/tips/advice - Dynamic Dave
It might just be sluggish because the previous owner *might* have only pootled about in it. Try giving it a good old Italian tune (a forum search will give the relevant details)
Car Service Due at 70k. help/tips/advice - Dave N
So you've only done 2K miles and it's lost power?

There really isn't much you can do to 'tune' up a car these days. Everything's electronic and set at the factory, all you can do is change plugs/leads and filters.

If you think that a bottle of jollop is going to restore many horsepower then there are plenty of 'miracles in cans' available on the internet that promise all sorts of engine restorative properties.
If an italian tune up is the one where you drive the car in each gear all the way just before hitting red, that happens QUITE alot with me, somtimes its just the way i drive, push the gears all the way till just before red line then next gear. not really gone above 3, as then i would end up with speeding tickets.

I dont know what civic's are supposed to be like, I never had one, but since i bought it, for a V-TEC i thought to be getting more power...?

What you guys think?

This Forte/VAG Fuel stuff any good? Or am i just chucking money?

Engine flushes of any sort is not rated at all from as far as I can see.

Thanks all...let me know what you think on this one!
Car Service Due at 70k. help/tips/advice - Sprice
Which Civic (engine/year etc)have you got? Is it maybe a V-tec E which are more about economy than power? The normal V-tec 1.5 is no powerhouse either, that is left to the VTi!

Obviously, V-tecs do need no be revved hard to exploit their potential, and below 5500 rpm can feel lethargic!
Car Service Due at 70k. help/tips/advice - sierraman
There is a school of thought,regarding engine flushes,that there is a danger of large lumps of clag coming free and blocking a narrow oilway.I have not come across this,the filter should catch the bits that come free.I have used flushes to good effect when I had a sticking hydraulic cam follower,I think the brand was Wynn's.
Car Service Due at 70k. help/tips/advice - GrahamF1
Try and close yourself off from the marketing matey. An engine has the power that it has, and there is no substance you can add to any part of the car that will increase it.

You say yourself that you've not had one before, so why do you think it's down on power? V-TEC engines are high-revving and sporty, the power is at the top end. They will feel fairly gutless low down.

There's no need for an oil flush as part of routine servicing. As sierraman points out it may cure a problem if one exists, but if it ain't broke don't fix it.

If you are really unhappy with the power output, you could increase it (slightly) in one or more of the following ways:

Have the ECU chipped (if possible on this engine).
Fit an induction kit.
Fit extractor manifolds and larger-bore exhaust system.
Fit hot cams.
Get the head ported.

There is no product in a can that will increase power, improve economy, stop your engine smoking, make you more attractive to the opposite sex, etc. It's all snake oil.