Renault radio fitments - Mike H
My old Megane was supplied with a custom fit radio, but there seem to be an almost infinite variety of Philips radios fitted to Renaults that all look identical. Can anyone shed any light on the differences. The reason for asking is that the radio on my 1996 model has packed up (estimate to fix "over £100"). I have been looking for a replacement, but the particular model that was fitted to mine seems as rare as hens teeth. It is a DC379/62B. Not understanding the differences between the various models, I don't know whether an alternative model code would be suitable.

I have an aftermarket model fitted at the moment, but ideally I'd like to hook up an original so that the steering column controls can be used.
Renault radio fitments - Adam {P}
Mike,

I can't help you with the radio but I know that on Fords at least, there is a little adapter type thing that allows you to connect an aftermarket stereo so that the steering controls can be used.

Surely Renault's would have something sililar?
--
Adam
Probably - but the car's not worth much and having already had one decent radio stolen from my other car at the station car park (where the car sits all day) I don't really want to put anything special in. Thanks for the idea, if I can find something cheap I might well do it - but otherwise I'll stick with the £5 aftermarket jobbie I've got.
Renault radio fitments - Adam {P}
My thinking was Mike, if you buy an adapter to fit the existing stereo then that's all you'll have to buy. I think it's only as simple as a wire but I also think they're around 40 quid so perhaps not worth it.

--
Adam
Renault radio fitments - Onetap
"..the car's not worth much"

Try E-bay?
I've been trying ebay for months, only one of the same types has come up (missed out on it by £1..) - hence my interest in finding whether a different type will work.
Renault radio fitments - Altea Ego
Renault changed radios about 1999/2000 depending on model of car. These are the Tuner list radios on lower marques/models or cabasse radios on the upper ranges. All are VDO and All use the same wiring and can easily be swapped out with later model sony radios with adaptor to make all remote/display options work.

Prior to that it was a mishmash of philips and bosch models and wiring options from 1992 to 99
RF, this is a June 1996 very early Megane. It was the mishmash that I was trying to wade through to find out whether a different type would work. I've trawled around the net & can't find much info of use.
Renault radio fitments - IvorE Tower
I have a 1998 Megane Scenic which must have a similar radio-cassette player. The "fancy curved" part of the front panel trim looks like it just clips on or is held with a few simple screws, so I would have thought it was possible to adapt any Philips radio fitted to a Renault of that age so that it will slot into the Megane dashboard, retaining the remote display and controls.
Yes, I've got all the mechanics of the swap fixed up, it's just a question as to whether an alternative will work & hook up to the column controls correctly.