Renault Laguna engine problem - debugslife
The blue lagoona is knackered again. It sounds like it running on 3 cylinders. It has a lack of power but no engine management light. It is driveable and can reach 70 if your bones can take the vibration.

Could it be one of the coils gone? It makes sense except that I am sure that I read a post saying that one went on a Megane and it was undriveable.

If it is an individual coil gone, I can't understand why there is not a load of unburned fuel blasting out of the exhaust like a Red Arrows display team.

Anybody had a similar problem?
Renault Laguna engine problem - Al 42
Does sound like a coil/coils to me. This is a well known problem - if your car is a Lag 2 the AA carry spare coils and fit them there and then. My Laguna went in with similar problems to yours and they replaced one coil; the problem reoccured however and after pushing they replaced all four - which is what really needs to be done at the outset. There were a lot of problems with coils from a supplier to Renault over a number of years so they know all about this and should offer to pay all or part of the costs involved. A complete set only takes 10 mins to fit. I wouldn't drive around with the car misfiring as all that unburnt fuel is likely to do for the cat converter.
Thanks, you wouldn't happen to know the 'bad' make would you? I took one out to see how difficult they were to change and I am sure it was Denso or something like that.

I have read a few threads about other makes of car having a hard time with these types of coils namely Audi. I used to swear by Audis having had an Audi 80. I had it for years and ran it until 139k miles. After falling for a Renault because of age and cost I regretted buying it from about half an hour after buying it.

Why are these coils so unreliable? They are only firing a quarter of the times that the old type single coils did. The old type of coil throwing HT out to leads have never ever let me down in 16 previous years of motoring. One of my coils has probably let go now and the missus' Zafira just got a coil pack about 2 months ago. It has only done 27k miles! I can only think that it is related to vibration and/or heat. The old coils used to be on the inner wing out of the way of the engine. If that is the case then the manufacturers should have sorted this out by now.
Renault Laguna engine problem - johnny
Thought I read somewhere that French ones were dodgy, japanese ones Ok - I checked mine on the Mk 1 they were the latter - one less thing to be paranoid about!
Oh no somebody said I was paranoid! Brain the size of a planet and ...................... Oh I think I'll buy a Toyota.
Renault Laguna engine problem - Aprilia
Why are these coils so unreliable? They are only firing a
quarter of the times that the old type single coils did.
The old type of coil throwing HT out to leads have
never ever let me down in 16 previous years of motoring.
One of my coils has probably let go now and the
missus' Zafira just got a coil pack about 2 months ago.
It has only done 27k miles! I can only think that
it is related to vibration and/or heat. The old coils used
to be on the inner wing out of the way of
the engine. If that is the case then the manufacturers should
have sorted this out by now.

You got it - heat and vibration.
Renault Laguna engine problem - Al 42
I was told by my dealer that there was a big problem with a coil supplier for a period of about 18 months and the problem was not confined to Renault, but effected some Audi's, VW's, and Vauxhall's. I think the problem was a manufacturing defect rather than a design issue. Dealers know the date period for the duff coils and will replace the whole set if they were made within this time.As with all main daelers however;this obviously won't apply if you've had anybody else top up your washer bottle or add some oil in between services outside the dealer network!!!!
Just to let you guys know it was the 'pencil coil' as they call it. Number 2 cylinder if you care. I suppose the thing to look out for if your car has the same problem is the feeling/sound that the car is running on 3 cylinders. I chose the non-original part from eurocarparts thinking that the original parts were mince. With horror I found out that the part I got was the same make that I pulled out! Denso Germany I'm sure it said. I will be aswell changing the other 3 but @ £40 a pop it is not something I wish to do lightly.
Renault Laguna engine problem - Ivor E Tower
...and the moral of the story is...... buy diesel, no high-voltage electrics to worry about ;-)
Renault Laguna engine problem - Dave N
...and the moral of the story is...... buy diesel, no high-voltage
electrics to worry about ;-)

No, only a variable geometry turbo, exhaust gas recirculation valve, super high pressure diesel pump & intercooler pipework
Renault Laguna engine problem - Aprilia
...and the moral of the story is...... buy diesel, no high-voltage
electrics to worry about ;-)

>>

Just unitised injectors running at 90V from a boost-PSU in the ECU with Hall-effect current monitoring and feedback waveform control.
Renault Laguna engine problem - dieselnut
'Just unitised injectors running at 90V '

Is this the system used in the VW PD engine or 'common rail' HDI
type.
Renault Laguna engine problem - Xileno {P}
Modern diesels are now immensely complicated examples of engineering. The days when a diesel was simple compared to a petrol are long gone.
Renault Laguna engine problem - Altea Ego
Modern diesel performance and smoothness is not possible without electronics. Electronics and engine bays will always be uneasy bedfellows, its a hostile place.
I feel as though I am being dragged along in a wave of euphoria about diesel engines. I still hate them. If you think they are quiet then you have been comparing them against the wrong type of petrol car. I think they are 10 times better than they used to be as regards to power/torque/noise etc. but the reliability is definitely suffering in order to achieve these gains. The old type no-turbo/big capacity diesels were very reliable. They were slow and noisy but had better than petrol economy and a far greater life span. If you do a forum search on 'diesel' it would scare you off buying one for the sake of reliability. I just don't think they are worth it. The only argument that seems to be given by friends/workmates with diesels is that you can hammer them and stil get good fuel economy! This is not the kind of thing you want to hear when thinking about a second hand car purchase.
Come on guys I was looking for a big argument about the virtues of Diesel. Let me hear both sides of the argument. If you've got one, let me know how good it is. If you hate them, tell me why.
Renault Laguna engine problem - Ex-Moderator
This would be "Technical Matters" not "Discussion". Move to the other side if you wish to have the petrol vs diesel thread.

Thank you.
Yes point taken. I apologise. I just wanted opinions from technically minded people, not people concerned with the best way to get bugs off their windscreen. No offence...........