Update to the Highway Code - Garethj
Just in case you missed it there?s an update to the Highway Code for all motorists re: red traffic lights. This means that if you approach a set of lights and they change to red you don?t actually need to stop in certain cases. These cases include:

1. You?re approaching too fast and can?t stop
2. You don?t look far enough ahead to see the lights
3. You?re in a hurry
4. You?re too important to be bothered
5. You just don?t feel like stopping at the moment.

This scheme has been trialled in London for a while and I have observed it is now being rolled out into the rest of the country. Good luck!
Update to the Highway Code - sean
Highly irresponsible to post something like this.

There are folks gullible enough to believe you.

As a keen motorcyclist I have much to lose with drivers ignoring red lights or failing to give way when I'm on a roundabout.

I'd have thought you'd have more sense. You've been here long enough.
Update to the Highway Code - Ex-Moderator
Oh don't be so ridiculous.

If there is someone driving who is prepared to believe that they don't have to stop at red lights because they're too important to be bothered just because they read it here, then we have bigger problems than road junctions.

I don't think the "joke" was particularly funny, but it was fairly obviously a joke.

Update to the Highway Code - TimW
As a keen motorcyclist I have much to lose with drivers
ignoring red lights or failing to give way when I'm on
a roundabout.
I'd have thought you'd have more sense. You've been here long
enough.

You are kidding, right?
Update to the Highway Code - volvoman
Can't remember the last time I saw a cyclist observe a red light!

Apparently it's also now going to be OK to ignore red lights if you've just seen several drivers in front do so too.
Apparently it's also now going to be OK to ignore red
lights if you've just seen several drivers in front do so
too.

:^D So true
Firtly, my apologies to those who thought it was serious. As a pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist (and driver) I'm aware of the risks and how vunerable I am when not secured in a big steel cage.

Secondly, it's not exactly a joke, just my way of describing recent phenomena I've observed without getting too stressed about it.

Thirdly, I forgot about cyclists - well spotted and they should certainly be on the list of exceptions (see note 1, above)

Fourthly, Mark, it's a tough room. I'm glad I never decided to become a night club comic
Update to the Highway Code - Dynamic Dave
As a keen motorcyclist I have much to lose with drivers
ignoring red lights or failing to give way when I'm on
a roundabout.
I'd have thought you'd have more sense. You've been here long
enough.

At last a post from Sean that isn't written in his usual cryptic style that people can understand!
Update to the Highway Code - Happy Blue!
So true Gareth, except I posted recently about lights on fast A roads, where the maximum permitted speed is 60mph and yet the time allowed for the amber light is no greater than for an urban jucntion with a 30mph limit.

Consequently, you have half the time to react to an amber light on such an A-road than normal. On several occasions, espcally where visibility is nor perfect, I have deliberatly gone through on a very deep shade of amber as otherwise, I would have had a car up my backside and injured children. It is highly unlikely that the light on the other part of the junction would have gone green yet, so I know I'm fairly safe.

I do not condone this in others, nor do I do it on urban roads, where I see just the same phenomena as you on a regular basis, in Manchester, so its not just London.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
I have deliberatly gone through on a very deep shade of amber as otherwise, I would have had a car up my backside>>

I supose there's a fair risk of the person behind watching the light and not the car in front (as the comment above about you're allowed to go through if the car in front does)

This phenomena is frequent on roundabouts, where the driver behind thinks it's safe to go through and hits the car in front where the driver hasn't gone for the gap.

I didn't think about the times for amber light based on speed limits - interesting!
Update to the Highway Code - AR-CoolC
where the driver behind thinks it's safe to go through and hits the car in front where the driver hasn't gone for the gap.

Been there, got the T-shirt.
Update to the Highway Code - Obsolete
I think it was pretty obviously 'humour'.

All too often I find myself deciding to carry on rather than brake on an amber, crossing the junction at what I consider the latest safe time, glancing in the rear view mirror, and seeing a stream of cars following, some being quite far behind. It does seem to be getting worse, or I am noticing it more. I'm sure someone will suggest that the focus on speeding is 'allowing' other bad habits to increase. Maybe, maybe not.

Leif
Update to the Highway Code - frostbite
"Highly irresponsible to post something like this.

There are folks gullible enough to believe you."

There was a story about the Washington Biological Survey and their ringing native birds as part of their activities with an embossed 'washbiolsurv' on the ring.

They received an irate letter from a farmer

'I shot one of your birds. I washed, bioled and surved it and it tasted horrible. You city folks should be ashamed of yourselves playing tricks like this.'
Update to the Highway Code - JH
so are we going to dumb down to that level or let evolution take it's course ?
John
Update to the Highway Code - Happy Blue!
Yep so have I!
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Update to the Highway Code - Robin Reliant
While not condoning red light jumping, I can fully understand it in places like London. If politicians play their silly games of "Force The Motorists To Use Public Transport", and use methods such as overlong all red phases and green phases that only allow three cars through, then what do you expect?

If you get p'd off with something beyond a certain extent, then it's only human nature to fight back.
Update to the Highway Code - Rishab C
Thanks Tom, that's exactly what has happened here in Nottingham.
The council are using them to "punish motorists" and "favour bus, tram and cycle users." It's criminal making you sit and stare at empty juncions for no reason, and phase them to cause mayhem, and then plan to charge you for being in the mayhem they created as you struggle to get to work to pay for the idiots.
Update to the Highway Code - Sofa Spud
You missed the bit in the Highway Code Update regarding drivers using hand-held mobile phones:

"Drivers of white delivery vans are exempt from this legislation provided they can prove they were committing another traffic offence at the same time."

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Update to the Highway Code - Adam {P}
HJ,

It was highly irresponsible for you to post such a believable amendment to the Highway Code on your own forum.

Somone might stumble across this and believe you.

Ha!
--
Adam
Update to the Highway Code - WipeOut
While crossing the road the other day, I met a lady who was confused by the "Green Man / Red Man" on the traffic light.

I was waiting for the traffic to stop. I had pressed the button to get the traffic to stop. The "Red Man" disappeared, the "Green Man" appeared. She turned to her husband and said, "Can I cross now, I get confused by this, it's too complicated?", to which he patiently replied "Yes, dear".

Makes you wonder if she's also got a license to drive!?!

WipeOut
BMW X4's don't have anything as complicated as that do they?
Update to the Highway Code - Big Bad Dave
"While crossing the road the other day, I met a lady who was confused by the "Green Man / Red Man" on the traffic light. "

Sounds like my ex-wife. She was frequently confused by the "Man she married / Many other men". Did she have big boggly fish-like eyes that looked in different directions?