Road Question - xlt-hunter
Hi BR,

A quick question that I hope someone can answer for me.

What defines a road as a Highway?

The reason been, I have a small access road for a couple of meters behind my garden that goes to my private parking space and the spaces for 5 other houses on the site. The deeds say this is a private road which I maintain. Council says the differ and they saying that they have adopted it if its a highway.

Thanks

Michael.
Road Question - doctorchris
Maybe they adopted after deeds were written.
If the council owns it look for tarmac and street lighting. If you own look for mud, potholes and pitch black at night (discarded needles, beer cans condoms etc).
Road Question - No Do$h
If you see the latter and they insist it has been adopted, make full use of their largesse and get a cleaning crew and road-laying team round a bit sharpish. Owning the lane adds little value and a lot of hassle as you could be reasonably expected to maintain it and could be held liable for any damaged brought about through disrepair.
Road Question - Dwight Van Driver
Go to your local reference Library and see if they have the Highways Act 1980. If so look up Sections 37 and in particular Section 38 - Power of highway authority to adopt agreement.

In a nutshell they have to have an agreement. Once agreed then road will be maintained at public expense so that if any vehicle on that "road" has to have an exise Licence which is not needed is private. (insurance DL MOT will dpend on what use made if private).

DVD