Turn left on red. - Imagos
Well it seems to work reasonably well in the U.S. albeit turn right on a red traffic light signal even with pedestrian crossings, but would the ability to turn left with a red light work as well over here?

i'm not sure, asking for trouble i think, but if all drivers and pedestrians were briefed properly about it maybe it could work?
Turn left on red. - Robin Reliant
I doubt it. This country has too many ignorant, agressive up yours types who would regard it as a right to force their way in front of other traffic.
Turn left on red. - codefarm
It works fine on the wide straight lightly-trafficed roads they have here. Where roads are narrow or busy like in the UK, they will frequently post a sign 'No right turn on red'.
Turn left on red. - NowWheels
Turn left on red works in the USA because walking is regarded as a sort of deviant (and probably unAmerican) activity. It leaves pedestrians with no safe time to cross, so wouldn't be acceptable here.
Turn left on red. - carl_a
Turn left on red works in the USA because walking is
regarded as a sort of deviant (and probably unAmerican) activity. It
leaves pedestrians with no safe time to cross, so wouldn't be
acceptable here.

I read some where that the average New Yorker walks a lot more each day than those living in London. I've used public transport and walked places in the US and its not at all bad, at least the pavements are wide and not blocked by people parking their cars on them and cars that could have left turned will mostly stop for pedestrians.
Turn left on red. - trancer
"I read some where that the average New Yorker walks a lot more each day than those living in London."

And in the five metropolitan boroughs of NY, right turns on red are not allowed either, so maybe it has alot to do with the pedestrian issue.

Never had a problem with right turns on red, but did notice (the few times I was on foot or bicycle) that you have to be extra careful when crossing as many drivers will be paying more attention to finding gaps in traffic so they can turn right and not actually checking for pedestrians. Pedestrian in the US tend to be alot more cautious than in the UK though, as they might have the right of way over cars, but very few car drivers actaully respect this and its pretty much "Im bigger than you so its in your best interest to give way to me".

When I first came to the UK I was shocked at how many pedestrians just stepped out into crosswalks fully expecting the cars to stop for them. I had never seen this "trust" exhibited in the US.
Turn left on red. - somebody
>>Turn left on red works in the USA because walking is regarded as a sort of deviant (and probably unAmerican) activity. It leaves pedestrians with no safe time to cross, so wouldn't be acceptable here.<<

On the contrary, anywhere other than out in the sticks, pedestrians nearly always have a 'walk' signal, and there will be a sign 'No Turn on Red when Pedestrians Are Present'.
Turn left on red. - Ex-Moderator
>>but would the ability to turn left with a red light work as well over here?

Not a chance. Not that, nor 4 way stops nor any other of these "voluntary" or "peer enforced" devices.

For goodness sakes, can you imagine us trying to deal with the difference between a full stop and a rolling stop ? There is outcry here if you even suggest that people should carry all their documents - never mind the more complex.

I'd mostly rather have the US approach, but I don't think I'll hold my breath.
Turn left on red. - patently
I might once have thought that letting people turn left on red would be a good idea.

Then I watched 5th gear on Monday and saw what happened if you don't spot the oncoming car if the signal is on a major road.

I'll wait, thanks.