ford focus alternator - winwood
I run a 51 plate Focus 1.6 Zetec with 48000 miles. The alternator just packed up. First warning was battery light flicking on and off whilst driving, then the car failed completely on the road. Paid £200 to an independent garage to supply and fit new one. It was sourced from a Ford dealer. I am a bit miffed that it gave up at that age and mileage. Does anyone out there have any comments? Also someone told me that I should have paid half that price!
ford focus alternator - elekie&a/c doctor
Price sounds about right for a genuine Ford part fitted.I think the alternator alone is approx £130.Ford alternators across the whole range of vehicles seem to be a little erratic in the reliabilty tables.Replaced one last week on an 01 mondeo @ 90k & also an 02 transit @52k.The fact that these units are "smart "generators (controlled by engine management Ecu ,output dependent on electrical demand)possibly adds to their unreliabilty.
ford focus alternator - winwood
Thanks for information. It was very very wet up here a day or two before the alternator expired. I was wondering whether water had got in. There was much flooding on the roads, and my wife uses the Focus more than me to get to work out in the country.
ford focus alternator - BobC
elekie,

The alternator warning light on my wife's focus (1.6, 2003MY) sometimes lighs up when negotiating roundabouts at low revs but soon goes out again. There are no other signs of a problem - should I be worried that it is likely to fail prematurely?