Cheap turbocharger (any make) - David Horn
I'm planning to build a DIY jet turbine engine this summer in the break from Uni, and while it's a fundamentally simple concept I'm assuming that picking up a turbo in relatively good condition for a low price is going to be difficult.

I'm not averse to taking a toolkit to a scrapyard and pulling one off an old car, until I've got it off will have no idea of it's condition.

Is there anywhere that takes turbos that while in good condition have no use and would be willing to flog one on cheap to me?
Cheap turbocharger (any make) - tyre tread
Talk to Turbo technics in Northampton - tell them its for a research project and they might be able to help!
Cheap turbocharger (any make) - bikemade3
Best of luck, however our GT's at work are set to max out at about 37000 RPM,the figure varies with atmospheric air pressure and temperature. I doubt you'll get sufficient mass air flow from a turbo if you are planning to use one as the compressor.
Cheap turbocharger (any make) - Rishab C
I have seen websites where people power them from propane!
Our local army surplus yard has some boxed new ones.
Yeah, I plan to use propane simply because you have no faffing around with complicated injector systems. I'm pretty confident the turbo will develop sufficient boost pressure - they seem to work ok for other DIYers and the pressure increase isn't really that much.

I suspect the most painful (ahem) bit of the project will be all the plumbing that goes with keeping the turbo supplied with oil, and I still have to construct something to generate a spark for ignition, but did see a useful schematic on the net that basically just used a 555 timer chip and a transformer, and that could run off a 12V supply.
Cheap turbocharger (any make) - Cymrogwyllt
The TV series Scrapheap Challange featured an episode where a turbo (lorry I think) was converted into a jet. If memory serves me right it was propane powered and propelled a vehicle.
Cheap turbocharger (any make) - martint123
Check ebay regularly. There are quite often part finished projects for reasonable prices.
Cheap turbocharger (any make) - WhiteTruckMan
I'm planning to build a DIY jet turbine engine this summer
in the break from Uni

Got to ask: Why?

I'm not exactly unversed in gas turbines(I didnt always drive a truck), and I have to tell you that they can be damn dangerous things to monkey about with.

WTM
Because it looked interesting, and my current part-time job leaves me a lot of free time during the day. At the very worst I imagine the turbo could disintegrate, but it's not exactly difficult to add a shield around it, and a flashback arrester should prevent any unfortunate incidents with the propane tank.

Besides, my dad's worked in engineering all his life, and is a qualified electrical engineer. My degree is in physics, and I do have a small modicum of self interest in my life... I'll take every precaution. Oh - and my brother's an expert welder.

The basic idea is that once the engine is started (if it starts!) then gas flow, EGT, vibration and so on can be monitored and altered from a reasonably safe distance away via an umbilical, and, if necessary, shut the engine down.

This is, of course, dependent on me getting hold of a turbo and pulling my finger out and building it!

Cheap turbocharger (any make) - Tomo
Starting! That is an interesting question. How is it spun it up without an external mechanical input/output shaft?

Anyway, have fun.
Cheap turbocharger (any make) - cjehuk
Check out www.gtba.co.uk

Follow one of the recommended designs. These engines are designed for Remote Control aircraft/helicopters. The KJ66 is one of the most popular engines, and the success rate for building them is high. Also includes details of what turbo to take bits from.

Regards

Chris
Thanks Chris - that site looks really good. With regard to starting them, I believe they used leaf blowers on Scrapheap.
Cheap turbocharger (any make) - Truckersunite
I wish I had never read this thread!!! I spent all last night searchin the web for DIY jets, It's a good job my workshop isn't up and running yet else my other half would be a DIY Jet widow. What a fantastic way of wasting some time though, good luck with it Jesse.
Cheap turbocharger (any make) - RichardW
Don't both with GTs....build yourself a pulse jet and REALLY annoy the neighbours!!!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....