Citroen C3 - Your Comments Please - DSLRed
My better half has an order in at the moment for a new Citroen C3 1.4 Desire. She is now worried as she has found a car review site that has some ghastly reviews in addition to some good ones - aout a 50-50 split, but the bad ones are really bad.

In particular, there are numerous owners who complain of the car cutting out ar random - this was a fault reported on Watchdog in the Peugeot 206 and was the specific reason why we did not even consider that one as an option. I have not previously heard of the same problem affecting the C3.

In addition, there are lots of electrical gremlins etc.

The question is therefore, are there any C3 owners out there and what is your impression of the car.

In particular, can anyone confirm or deny the suggestion that the C3 has a cut-out problem.

It is my other half's first car and we don't want a dog - we are considering cancelling the order if reports of problems are confirmed.

Thanks for any advice.
Over to you.
Citroen C3 - Your Comments Please - Altea Ego
Well Nicoles friend has had a Pluriel for 5 months and has had no problems, even the famous pluriel leaks seem to be fixed.
Citroen C3 - Your Comments Please - carl_a
You can get a good one or a bad one. Someone I know that has Citroen's on contract hire often gets cars that are just dreadful, others have very few faults. Some of the later built cars are worse than the early ones, so don't expect new ones to be much better.

There is however a way to get a good French car, get RF to buy it (his French cars don't seem to get many faults).

Buy Asian if you want a well built car and read reviews before you buy a car, not after.
Citroen C3 - Your Comments Please - Xileno {P}
I've not heard of the C3 suffering cutting out.
We had a look at a C3 before we chose the Megane, it was nice little car but a bit too small for us.
Citroen C3 - Your Comments Please - machika
My brother has had a 1.4 HDI for about 3 years. He has nothing but praise for it.
Citroen C3 - Your Comments Please - Clanger
Mrs H has had a 1.4 HDi 90 since July 2002. It had a problem with the central locking, but this was sorted with a software upgrade. At 30k miles on a diet of Texaco diesel, it's going better than ever, but it will be needing new tyres soon. Mrs H loves it to bits.

Mrs H's dad bought a petrol sensodrive last year and says it's the best car he's ever had. No faults at all and enormous mpg figures.

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Citroen C3 - Your Comments Please - DSLRed
read reviews before you buy a car, not after.

We've spent ages looking a car reviews - I have just changed as well so it seems like we've done nothing else since Christmas. This is the first time we've found reviews suggesting these problems.

Thanks for your comments. I'm sure that they will reassure us and it is the car my partner really wants.
Citroen C3 - Your Comments Please - Reggie
I have a C3 hdi 92bhp and have had it from new and it is just over two years old with 17,000 miles on it. It does a lot of around town work where it does just over 50 mpg. combined comes in at 57 mpg ish and on a long run 65 mpg.

For what it was bought for, going to work in and the odd trip out of town it is an excellent car, although I have been to each end of the country in it and it was quite capable of doing this in reasonable comfort. My other car is a Pug 406, and in comparison with this car, if I was to be critical, the handling is not as good in as far as the front end will not grip as well on a roundabout or sharp corner, and with it having a fixed rear axle (I think) it can feel slightly harsher on pocked road surfaces. There is also slightly more tyre noise from it than the 406, and the seats are slightly firmer, but that may be preferable to you. I am being highly critical of it against a car which cost nearly twice as much when new.

With regards to reliability, I have had absolutely no problems. With regard to faults, it had to go back for a new door/window seal as I was experiencing wind noise when travelling at the legal limit and has gone back to the dealers once for a recall to put a water shield on the ABS sensors or something to do with the ABS. A friend of mine has one and has had problems with the central-locking, but as far as I am aware quite happy with it.

Do I regret buying it? No. I am very pleased with it.

I too have read (not recently) a forum for C3?s, and although I don?t dispute most of the problems presented are real, the perceived agenda of some of the writers appeared to me to be destructive rather than constructive, and even had me wondering just how long it would be before I would have a problem with my C3 that the dealers could not resolve. Touch wood, this has not happened and I don?t expect it to.

Reggie
Citroen C3 - Your Comments Please - machika
I am considering a 1.4i 16v Stop and Start for my wife. Has anyone any comments/experience regarding this model? Would the 1.4 HDI Sensodrive be a better choice (the downside being inferior power and performance)?
Citroen C3 - Your Comments Please - sanddancer
I purchased my 04 Citroen C3 1.4HDI Desire after swapping from a 2001 New Renault Laguna 1.6 petrol.

Strange swap you may think, but In 1 year and 17500 miles, im getting an average of 72.3 mpg in the C3 compared to about 39mpg in the laguna. So im quids in.

I love the C3, its nippy, even if it is a oil burner, it feels like a larger car and I can even get my mountain bike into the back with the rear seats folded down.

I havent had any problems (im touching wood) with the car yet.
Its great.
My wife isnt so keep, she isnt happy about the length of the gear stick, she thinks its too short, which means she finds it harder to reach, but other than that she has very little bad things to say about the car.

I loved my laguna, but I had too many problems with the pesky tyre sensors. I dont regret the swap.
Citroen C3 - Your Comments Please - leigh0307

This is happening to mine. Bought it second hand last month and if I stop at a junction it cuts out, also looks like it's going to cut out when I slow down but when I accelerate again it shoots forward and drives okay, till the next junction. Seems to do it more when car has warmed up. Trying to research the reason for this, but as yet no solution found.