Registering a UK car in Germany - barchettaman
Mrs Barchetta is pregnant. This is good news for us, bad news for the Barchetta which is going to have to go :-(

Now, the situation is this - my brother need someone to take his immaculate Astra Estate off him, as it is too old to be his company car. He'll give oit to me for buttons, and it's ideal for our (suddenly changed) My mad idea is to register it in Germany, where I live, and run it into the ground over the next three/four years, then scrap it.

So, does anyone have any experience of registering RHD cars in Germany? Any dos or don'ts? What documents should I definitely not forget? I've checked the site and can't find any prior discussion on this subject. Any help would be much appreciated.

Barchettaman
Registering a UK car in Germany - barchettaman
Oops. Forgot to say that I realise I'll need new headlights, and I can get them on eBay.de, so no worries there.
Registering a UK car in Germany - Dwight Van Driver
Pass

Would have thought as you live in Germany then an approach to UK equivalent to UK Dept of Transport in Germany would produce all that you needed to know.

Either that or go to the Ehrlicher John site.....

DVD
Registering a UK car in Germany - Dwight Van Driver
Above should cover import at your end.

At this end make sure this is attended to:

tinyurl.com/85req

DVD
Registering a UK car in Germany - Bagpuss
A friend of mine did this a few years back. In case things haven't changed, you will need to start by swapping your UK drivers licence for a German one.

To register your car, you need to go to your local vehicle registration office (Zulassungsstelle) and get an application for vehicle registration, there is no central agency like the DVLA in the UK, so check on the website of your local city council office for further details. You will need to show that it was previously registered in the EU and therefore not subject to import duty. You will also need to get the headlamps changed and you might need to get the speedo replaced with one that reads in km, you will also need to get an approval from the local TUV office for roadworthiness and emissions and get insurance from a German insurance company, your UK no claims bonus will be accepted here by the way. If all goes well you'll get a form from your local office allowing you to get number plates made, then you're on your way. It's not as compicated as it probably sounds, but there is a bit of legwork involved.
Registering a UK car in Germany - Bagpuss
...and congratulations on forthcoming Parenthood!!!!