Motability- advice sought please. - PW
Brother in law recently ordered a Scenic 1.5 DCi through motability. The garage has called him tonight to say that the car is no longer produced and he must pay £200 extra for the 1.9.

Can anyone advise where he stands please. Following similar threads on here I said probably best to go through motability as they are the purchasers. He's not paid anything yet so is considering pulling out and going elsewhere.

My only concern is that he knows nothing about cars- and could also be blinded by jargon into paying the extra.

Finally, he is a low mileage fairly slow driver- have mentioned that may be better off with a petrol. Are the petrol ones any good?

Any comments gratefully received.
Motability- advice sought please. - BobbyG
According to Renaults website it is still available......
Motability- advice sought please. - The Bear
A family friend recently had the same problem with Ford. His chosen model was only available with air con fitted, for which the dealer wanted to charge £400 more than the Mobility allowance. Interestingly there was no jesture of goodwill from the Manufacturer or the Dealership but Mobility stumped up the extra.

Personally I would have looked elsewhere to source what your Brother in law wants but if Mobility are prepared to fund the difference and he can live with whats on offer it may be easier to just go forit.
Thanks for the advice. Checked the website- and the 1.5 is coming up as a May promotion- so sounds very dubious. He's going to call the dealership and see what's going on.

Thanks again.
Motability- advice sought please. - Altea Ego
It could be that his choice of Scenic model is no longer availble with the 1.5

Frankly I wouldnt go for the 1.5 scenic anyway, its a heavyish car with a large frontal area. The 1.9 has to be a better bet.
Motability- advice sought please. - CM
Not sure where you stand but the 1.9 is a lot better than the 1.5 in my mind.

I looked into getting a Scenic with Motability and asked the salesman whether it was worth doing if companies like Virgin Cars et al were selling them brand new at such discounts. He said that it would be best to buy private with these big discounts as then after your 3 years there is something to show for. Otherwise with Motability you pay 36 x £260 odd and have nothing left afterwards. I realise that there is a large capital outlay but...
Motability- advice sought please. - CM
Click on UK-Car Discounts over on the right and you will see that there is a 1.9dci Scenic Dynamique for £15k. If you are are "loosing" you disabled benefit for 3 years, say £9k, I am sure that the car after 3 years will be worth more than £6k.

I know that there is insurance and servicing with Motability thrown in, but I found that the insurance policy was quite restricted to who could drive the car (I think that it is just 2 named drivers) and with servicing the intervals are now about 20k miles (I think).

You might just have to sit down and do the sums to see what suits you best.
Motability- advice sought please. - Altea Ego
"about 20k miles (I think)."

Close - 18k or two years
Motability- advice sought please. - Timaru
............ and don't forget that if you are a full time wheelchair user you do not pay VAT on new cars.
Just spoken to Brother in law. Seems Renault have swapped the DCi 80 for DCi 100- but is still a 1.5.

Dealers are not going to charge the extra now- so he is sticking with the car. Car is for the benefit of my niece who has the disability- but car won't need to be modified.

The amount of her allowance going towards the hire cost makes it cheaper to do this way then purchasing themselves.

Many thanks for all the above comments. Been very useful.

Pete.