Reversing cold - frazerjp
A friend of mine once told me that the gearbox can wear out quickly if you where to reverse out of your driveway first thing in the morning due to its coponents not being designed to do this when cold.

Have any of you backroomers heard of this before? I dont make a habit of this because i drive straight onto the road outside our house & i always reverse into parking spaces as my instructor taught me. :)
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Reversing cold - Imagos
To coin a phrase.. that is cobblers.
Reversing cold - madux
Seconded.
Reversing cold - Chad.R
From my very (very) limited knowledge of transmission systems, I think the only difference between the forward gears and reverse, is the lack of syncromesh on reverse.

Would that have any impact? - I suppose not, unless of course you drove the car in reverse for several miles......

Reversing cold - y2k+4
Mum's car get's taken out everyday, and reversed out of at least two places a day while cold. 130,000 miles in four and a half years, original gearbox and no mechanical problems whatsoever.

Evidence that the statement is rubbish? Well unless the Celica is an exception to the rule, yes.
Reversing cold - storme
this sounds like a trick question from who wants to be a millionaire :)
--
www.storme.co.uk
How do you mean Storme?
--
Reversing cold - Clanger
I think
the only difference between the forward gears and reverse, is the
lack of syncromesh on reverse.

And the direction of travel, perhaps?
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Reversing cold - Dynamic Dave
I think the only difference between the forward gears and reverse, is the lack of syncromesh on reverse.

The reverse gear will be straight cut, whereas the other gears will be helically cut.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=25...9
Reversing cold - Number_Cruncher
For the older non synchromesh reverse gears, another difference is that reverse is usually selected via sliding mesh, as opposed to the gear being in constant mesh. If reverse gear were helically cut, as opposed to straight cur, it would not be possible to use sliding mesh.

To reduce casing loads, the reverse idler is usually on the side of the gearbox which tends to pull the idler in towards the gears, instead of pushing the idler out of the casing. It allows the use of a thinner casing in that area.

number_cruncher
Reversing cold - Bill Payer
The only thing that I can think of here is that you used to see advised to do all your manoeuvring at the end of a journey (ie with the engine warm) as doing the same from cold is wasteful from a fuel economy POV.
Reversing cold - Manatee
It does sound like cobblers to me but I do prefer reversing into parking spaces, driveways etc rather than out of them - that way I am better equipped to get out on to the road, as I can see what's comig rather than sticking 10 feet of the car into the road and hoping for the best. It also means that the manoeuvring is done with a warm engine, not prolonging the cold running in the mornings.

The only time this has got me into trouble was in the US - South Carolina I think - when I was told by a police officer that it is obligatory to drive into parking spaces so that the number plate can be seen, there being no requirement to have a number on the front of the car.
The advice was from a friend whos originally from Cape town, South Africa, would this be the same thing with no. plates?
--
Reversing cold - Avant
No, they have them on the front in SA too.

Maybe it came from someone who doesn't start the engine of a manual car with their foot on the clutch. You can often get a grinding from the gearbox if you then go into unsynchronised reverse - and that will presumably wear the gearbox out in time.

Agree with Manatee - much better to back in than back out wherever possible.