Hoax Virus Alert - Tom Shaw
If you get an email advising you to search for a file called SULFNBK.EXE and delete it as it contains a virus, IGNORE IT! This is a vital system file and my sister-in-laws PC is buggered to the extent that she needs to re-install windows to recover, after she received the email and acted on it.
Re: Hoax Virus Alert - Moosh
Author: Honest John (---.as.wcom.net)
Date: 26-11-01 18:56

Just got e-mailed that there's a sleeper virus lurking in many European computers. It was in mine. Here's what to do. Press the START button, then the Find button. Select Files and directories. Key SULFNBK.EXE into the search window. If and when it comes up, DO NOT OPEN IT. Press Edit, then Select All, then Delete. After you have done this, right click on your recycle bin and empty that as well.
Re: Hoax Virus Alert - Bob H
Thanks - it was in mine too.

Bob h
Re: Hoax Virus Alert - Clive
If you've already deleted this file go to site below for full instructions:

support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q301/3/1...p

or you can use this link to download a self extracting version direct into your C:\Windows\Command folder.

216.26.54.40/util/sulfnbk.EXE

Sulfnbk is only concerned with allowing long files names under certain conditions and unlikley to be missed anyway.
Re: Hoax Virus Alert - G Hall
It looks like Bob H has misunderstood Moosh, and deleted the sulfnbk.exe file!

In which case, follow Clive's advice to re-instate this system file. It is NOT a virus.
Re: Hoax Virus Alert - Alwyn
Norton/Symantec have just sent the following warning.

1. Sulfnbk.exe Warning

The Sulfnbk.exe Warning message has been sent out by email. It is a
hoax and should be ignored. The virus does not exist. A hoax is
usually an email message that gets mailed in chain letter fashion
describing an unlikely type of virus. While this particular email
message is a hoax, the file that is mentioned in the hoax,
Sulfnbk.exe, is a Microsoft Windows utility that is used to restore
long file names. If you get an email message that mentions the
Sulfnbk.exe virus and asks you to delete the Sulfnbk.exe file and
forward the warning to everyone in your address book, please ignore
the email message and delete it.
Clive,
I only read the HJ part of Moosh's post and deleted the file!

I have tried to re-install the file using the instructions on the first site you gave.(the second site won't load). However I cannot locate the file either on the C drive or the back up system CD - I have a Gateway PC (800Mhz) running Windows ME.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bob H
Re: Hoax Virus Alert. Microsoft instructions - Alwyn
Bob,

Look at this site: it tells you how to replace the file for all versions of Windows.

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q...6

Cheers
Clive,
I only read the HJ part of Moosh's post and deleted the file!

I have tried to re-install the file using the instructions on the first site you gave.(the second site won't load). However I cannot locate the file either on the C drive or the back up system CD - I have a Gateway PC (800Mhz) running Windows ME.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bob H
Re: Hoax Virus Alert - Mark (Brazil)
> I have tried to re-install the file using the instructions on
> the first site you gave.(the second site won't load). However
> I cannot locate the file either on the C drive or the back up
> system CD - I have a Gateway PC (800Mhz) running Windows ME.

The file will not have exactly the same name. Usually the extension (the bit of the filename after the . ) have been altered.

However, you shouldn't be looking for the file itself, simply the location.

If you have the original installation CD, then simply point the "browse" command there, the program itself will search for the correct name.

If you have had the installation files moved to the harddisk, then they may be further hidden in savesets; again simply point to the location.

If you can be as specific as possible, then I can try to help more.

M.
Re: Hoax Virus Alert - David W
Mark/Bob,

If the Gateway recovery disc is anything like the Hewlett Packard one we have you can't strip off individual files, it's a complete re-load or nothing.

However I've just looked at the sulfnbk.exe file and it seems to have a last modified date of the time I loaded this PC. This would make me think there is no modification to this file over time and anyone's version would be OK for you.

As it is only 44KB it would be easy to attach to an e-mail, shall I do that for you Bob? Then you could put it back in your Windows Command location.

Do bear in mind it could well give your firewall/virus protection program a headache as it is an .exe file, you ought to have loads of "do you really want to..." messages. Ignore them.

David
Interestingly I don't even have that file on this computer.

Never seems to have done me any harm though.
Re: Hoax Virus Alert - John S
Mark

I checked my machine earlier - it appears not to have the file either.

regards

john
From MS Website

>it is necessary if you need to restore long files names if they become damaged or corrupted.

Oh, like that's something I do all the time !

So, IF I use long file names and IF they become damaged or corrupted and IF I need to restore them THEN I will need this file.

Not something to worry about then, really.
Hmmmmmmm as the cut and paste master says.

If this windows utility works in the background it might not matter until you have a corrupted long file name and that file refuses to open. Then you might wish for this missing .exe file.

My Windows is 98SE and it has this file in C:\Windows\Command.

David
Here's another way to get it back.

-- Windows 98 Instructions --

1) Click START - RUN, type SFC and hit ENTER
2) In the "Specify the system file you would like to restore" field, type C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\SULFNBK.EXE and hit ENTER
3) In the RESTORE FROM field, type in the path to your WINDOWS CAB files
(ie. C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS)
(ie. D:\WIN98 where D is the drive letter assigned to your CD-ROM)
4) Click OK and continue with the restore function

David
I had forgotten that Windows ME has a 'System Restore' facility. So I tried that, and even though I had deleted it from the Recycle Bin, it worked and it is now back on the C drive.

Thanks for all your help.

Bob H
sophos antivirus deleted my sulfnbk.exe file - ladas are slow
i have just found out that 'sophos' has deleted my sulfnbk.exe file, the sophos company must not know what the file does???