Schumacher, F1 - Altea Ego
Ok you Formula1 detractors.

Schumachers middle section drive from 12 to third. Driving of utter brilliance with stunning machinery.

Button - poked with a pointy stick by Schumacher and yelping out of the way, sold down the river by being blocked into back markers by the master.

And Alonso 12 laps of superb defensive driving, slowing the whole thing down so he didnt get blocked into back markers, keeping a rampantly quick red beast on a chain,

If you cant see this as motorsport at its phsycological & technological peak you are blind!

Oh and thanks ITV - an ad break 3.5 laps from the end? DOH
An Utter Disgrace - Fullchat
Not that F1 is my bag anymore but just thought that I would tune in to ITV and it was the last few laps at Imola. Must admit a darn good scrap between Alonso and Schumacher - something that F1 was well short of last time I paid it any attention.

What I couldnt believe was that in the last few laps there was a commercial break and viewing returned in the penultimate lap! I couldnt believe it(Sound like Victor Meldrew). Would the same thing have happened during a penalty shoot out at a major football match?

Is it not that sort of excitement that is wanted to woo back the viewers? Just goes to show who ultimately is the most important consideration and its not the viewer. Sorry but F1 has just lost me again!

Fullchat

Threads merged. ND
An Utter Disgrace - trancer
Can F1 be blamed for the positioning of commercial breaks though?. I imagine that would be down to the program directors/producers at ITV.
An Utter Disgrace - Manatee
Can F1 be blamed for the positioning of commercial breaks though?.
I imagine that would be down to the program directors/producers
at ITV.

Bernie controls everything else in F1 down to the burger vans so it would be surprising if he isn't controlling this - the advertising must be worth more if it's in the middle of the (rare) exciting bits.
An Utter Disgrace - Oz
Likewise the interview with Jenson Button who was 3rd. Non-existent.
Oz (as was)
An Utter Disgrace - mfarrow
the advertising must be worth more if it's in the middle
of the (rare) exciting bits.

Who would want to buy any product whose adverts interrupt the most excitig part of a major sporting event? Not me.

--------------
Mike Farrow
An Utter Disgrace - smokie
I came on to post about the same issue.

Advert timings are down to the local TV company. ITV take the blame for that. Some production trainee propbably not watching the race would have told Martin and James to go to a break, and they really would not have had any choice.

I was disgusted - F1 is working hard trying to win back fans and the TV company is doing it's best to lose them again.

Maybe the worst thing was that they could have re-started coverage after the ads from where they left off before them, but they chose to come back in "live" by which time the last lap was in progress.

Mrs S called to me that they were re-showing the last 3 laps. I guess this was an admission of a a cock up but I'm afraid it was already too late, I'd left the room in disgust, and "the moment" was gone.
Schumacher, F1 - bimmer-driver
I agree with you 100% RF. All the F1 haters stick that race in your pipe and smoke it!
Doesn't mean I like Schumacher though.
Schumacher, F1 - quizman
Schumacher and Alonso were terrific, what a race!

ITV should not be let near sport again, after putting adverts on for 4 laps and only coming back on the last lap. I am glad Radio 5 had got commentary.

ITV should stick with soaps and makeover shows, and let serious sport be put on BBC or Sky.
Schumacher, F1 - mfarrow
Schumachers middle section drive from 12 to third. Driving of utter
brilliance with stunning machinery.

Absolutely. It couldn't have been better.
Button - poked with a pointy stick by Schumacher and yelping
out of the way, sold down the river by being blocked
into back markers by the master.

Do I detect you do not like Button much then RF? He may have made quite a drastic mistake letting Schumacher, but he's the best British driver out there at the moment.
Oh and thanks ITV - an ad break 3.5 laps from
the end? DOH

Oh yes, thank you ITV for showing us the last three laps after the race, podium etc have finished. Who makes these sort of decisions? Do they think they can appease us like this? I'll add an e-mail of my own to the barrage of abuse that will be hurtled at ITV right now.

--------------
Mike Farrow
"Do I detect you do not like Button much then RF? He may have made quite a drastic mistake letting Schumacher, but he's the best British driver out there at the moment."

Till this moment I thought he was very good, the difference between how Alonso handle the pressure and how Button handled it was remarkable.

Ah I see the ITVF1 web site is "experiencing technical difficulties" there is a suprise, hordes of infuriated fans perhaps?
Schumacher, F1 - smokie
All credit to him for a tremendous drive, but MS doesn't do this stuff completely on his own. The strategy boys earn their corn many times over at Ferrari.

The Ferrari tricks department was clearly working overtime too. The decision to send out the pit team to mislead everyone else into thinking MS was coming in was a blinder.

Schumacher, F1 - mfarrow
The Ferrari tricks department was clearly working overtime too. The decision
to send out the pit team to mislead everyone else into
thinking MS was coming in was a blinder.

I don't think they gave BAR the credit they deserve. Everyone knows Ferrari play these sorts of tricks, though it last worked on McLaren in 2000 IIRC.
--------------
Mike Farrow
Schumacher, F1 - frostbite
Yes, a good race only spoilt by that incredible ITV decision - a good example of why that is about the only occasion I ever watch ITV.
Schumacher, F1 - Tomo
I do not quite understand the point about Button. He finished safely in third, which was the best he was going to do in the company.

Welcome back Michael!
Schumacher, F1 - Oz
I do not quite understand the point about Button. He finished
safely in third, which was the best he was going to do in the
company.

Were you referring to my comment about being non-existent? Maybe I could have worded it better.
I was referring not to Button himself, but to total lack of any interview with him (in the context of poor service to UK television viewers).

Oz (as was)
Schumacher, F1 - Imagos
It was the most ill-judged break in transmission since Graham Gooch scored ( and we missed ) his 333 at Lords in what was arguably the best finish in a F1 race since Senna and Mansell at Monaco in 1992.

ITV hang your heads in shame.
Schumacher, F1 - frostbite
ITV hang your heads in shame.

Knowing ITV's sense of shame, they will ask 'did we really upset you?' Phone 0906 ...........
Schumacher, F1 - Tomo
Sorry, Oz. I take your point entirely, but see the first posting again.
Schumacher, F1 - Robin Reliant
ITV should not be allowed near sport. The first ever 147 break in a televised snooker tournament was in a match covered by this channel. While John Spencer was at the table making history, the ITV film crew were on a tea break, having insisted on sticking to their union rules.
Schumacher, F1 - Imagos
One point is bugging me though, why was Schumacher in F1 terms plodding along then all of a sudden it seems he had switched to nitrous oxide and blowing everyone else away?
He was stuck behind his brother Ralph.
Sorry, Oz. I take your point entirely, but see the first
posting again.

Well put it like this, Button and Alonso were on very similar lap times. Alonso kept Schumacher behind for 12-13 laps, Button managed 2.

Had button kept Schumacher behind till the pit stops, there is a chance he could have kept his place and Alonso comfortable. As it was one roar and a show of teeth and the animal leapt from its cage past the frightened keeper who left the door open.
Schumacher, F1 - Aretas
ITV have messed up on ad breaks before. In Hungary in 1997 when Hill in his Arrows was just about to overtake Schumacher for the lead.

I have by own way of boycotting the advertisers - I record the races, watch immediately they are over, fast forward through the ads and don't even watch them so I have no idea what was being advertised.
Schumacher, F1 - PR {P}
They also missed the vital pitstop today, when Schumy nearly got Alonso. Well timed again!
Schumacher, F1 - mfarrow
They also missed the vital pitstop today, when Schumy nearly got
Alonso. Well timed again!

That's not ITV's fault, it's up to the TV director at the event. In this case he was probably Italian. They change every race, hence some are good and some will cover up the red light sequence with the lap counter and miss everything.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Schumacher, F1 - Imagos
That's not ITV's fault, it's up to the TV director at
the event.

well yes the local controller controls the pictures that everyone see's via the offical FIA downloads but ITV only is in control of it's timing of advert breaks and should be held responsible. A thoroughly shocking piece of tv editing, will be talked about for many years.

As i've posted before probably one of the finest climaxs to a race in many years then all we see is tacky (calm down dear it's only a mouse!) adverts.

This proves that ITV is only interested in advert revenue.

An utter disgrace.
Schumacher, F1 - PR {P}
You're right Imagos, I sometimes watch the races at a relatives house, who has a satellite that can pick up Rai (italian TV) and their ads are always different to ITVs (we flick over during the ITV ad breaks)
Schumacher, F1 - smokie
Today's Times says the ITV switchboard was inundated with calls about the adverts. They defend it by saying they are contracted to show 5 sets of ads during a race, and had held off showing the last set because they thought Schumacher might overtake Alonso, but then had to make a decision to squeeze them in.

Neil Duncanson, Executive Producer, said "We are as disappointed as anyone, but it is a contract"

IMO they could return after the ads and resumed the recording from the point they left off: that would have been some small mitigation, but would still have interrupted the best F1 racing for some time... although it wouldn't have been quite as "live", so maybe that's a problem too.

Yup

they could have said, ok fine we need to add break, so we will timeshift the whole GP back by three minutes. Thats fine by me - gives you a chance to kill the live timing on the PC or turn off the radio.

Buttons post race interveiw go tthe chop so they could keep the TV schedules in tact to the second. So that shows what they think of F1 fans!
Schumacher, F1 - Dynamic Dave
They defend it by saying they are contracted to show 5 sets of ads during a race....

ITV have got their priorities are all wrong. I only got around to watching the pre-race build up last night on video (the one hour show before the actual race) and there were only 2 advert breaks during that hour. The first one didn't occur until around 12:37 BST (some 37 mins into the show), followed by the next one at around 12:50 BST.
Schumacher, F1 - Dalglish
Ok you Formula1 detractors. ......
.. If you cant see this as motorsport at its phsycological &
technological peak you are blind!

>>

so a race:

in which a ferrari is 2 seconds a lap faster than the next best car, a ferrari driven by the best f1 driver, a race in which the ferrari ovrtakes most traffic in the pit stops, a race in which the ferrari makes just one real overtaking move over jensen button due to a lapse in his part, a ferrari which is then stuck behind alonso for 12 laps,

all this makes f1 a motorsport at its psychological & tecnological peak?

glad i am blind then.

Oh and with no appreciation of what is actually happening on the track and behind the scenes.
Schumacher, F1 - Chad.R
If Raikonnen hadn't had technical problems he would have probably romped off with Mclaren's first win this season rather than limping off with a broken gearbox.

If that was the case, then the focus would now be on Mclaren no matter how good Ferrari/Schumi did yesterday.

The season seems to be hotting up now that Ferrari, Mclaren & BAR seem to have caught up with and overtaken, Renault.

Though when Alonso finally gets his hands on the new Renault engine ........
Schumacher, F1 - turbo11
What you guys need to do is e-mail ITV F1 and let them know how ridiculous that advert break was at the end of the race.I think they have too many advert breaks anyway.
Schumacher, F1 - Imagos
Just looked at the ITV F1 site and there's nothing at all about what happened. No feedback, emails .. nothing!

I can't believe they have recieved no emails at all?
Schumacher, F1 - Adam {P}
I know they have received at least 6 emails! Very disgruntled friends of mine sent them!
--
Adam
7 emails - one from me
Schumacher, F1 - carl_a
They won't be getting an email from me, I was out but recorded the coverage and watched it later. ITV need adverts, yes its a pain and sometimes they need to put them on when theres action on track, its something that's not going to change.

What is far worse, is BBC Radio 5 Live. They covered one minute of the start and then announced " we are covering football this afternoon but will be back at the end of the race".
F1 is on 19 times this year, they cover hundreds of football matches, I don't think it's to much to ask for coverage of a few hours of F1.

Well done ITV, fantastic job.
Schumacher, F1 - Imagos
Well done ITV, fantastic job.

How can they have done a fantasic job? they showed utter contempt to the viewer in order to appease advertisers.
Schumacher, F1 - carl_a
How can they have done a fantasic job? they showed utter
contempt to the viewer in order to appease advertisers.

If the race is 10 minutes from the end and you have to put in an advert break within that time, then when do you do it ?

Do you do it after the pitstop when Schumacher is right behind Alonso and looking for a way past ?

Or do you wait a bit ?

They waited, for the benefit of the viewers and then did the advert break as late as they could.

So if you were the ITV controller what would you have done, not shown the adverts and get fired ?

Schumacher, F1 - mfarrow
They have had one e-mail from me. I can't wait for the response!

What I can't understand is why they couldn't show the ads as Schumacher was still gaining ground on Button ans Alonso, not in the middle of the overtaking maneuver. There were plenty of less interesting parts in that grand prix without resorting to the feable excuse they gave the papers.
--------------
Mike Farrow
Schumacher, F1 - J Bonington Jagworth
Still not as exciting as MotoGP, though. And no ads, either! :-)
The last MotoGP was actually quite mundane
Schumacher, F1 - SjB {P}
From ITV F1 :-

ITV has accepted responsibility for the late advertisement break during yesterday's live coverage of the San Marino Grand Prix.

ITV is contracted to run five advert sequences during the broadcast and delayed the final one in the hope of being able to show Michael Schumacher catching and passing Fernando Alonso.

Eventually time ran out and the ad break was run early enough to ensure that the last lap was shown live.

"None of us are happy but it was unavoidable," said the programme's executive producer Neil Duncanson of the subsequent criticism.

"We are contracted to advertisers who pay top dollar and this plays an important part in keeping Formula 1 on terrestrial television.

"We delayed the final break because we gambled Michael would catch and overtake Fernando before the end."

A press spokesman for ITV sport, Mark Whittle, explained that there is no specific plan for when advert breaks should be shown, and that ITV tries to ensure that they are placed at the least sensitive moments during the race.

?There is no scientific method to it ? we try to put them in at the least contentious point of the race,? he said.

?We took a break with three laps to go just as Michael Schumacher was battling with Fernando Alonso and we came back before the final lap. There had been no change in position.

?We endeavour to show viewers any action they have missed."

ITV-F1's anchorman Jim Rosenthal introduced a segment immediately after the race has finished showing the final three laps uninterrupted.

But he admitted the situation had not been ideal.

?Nobody feels worse about this than I do,? he said. ?I can only sympathise with all the people who have got in touch.?

Schumacher, F1 - madf
Glad I don't watch it.

It's boring most of the time.
And adverts in the exciting bits.. c'mon 3 laps from the end. Whoever scheduled that was a muppet.. 10 lpas yes.. but 2 suggests you think nothing is going to happen.

Looks like a "no watch" decision was correct.

Makes Emmerdale look lively and sophisticated...:-)

madf

My reply from ITV - Chicken Madras
"ITV would like to apologise for cutting to a break at the climax of yesterday's Grand Prix and we are sorry that it affected your enjoyment of the race.

As you are probably aware, we always try to cut to adverts during the least contentious parts of the action and update viewers with anything they may have missed as soon as possible after the commercials.

ITV is contractually obliged to include a certain number of adverts during the race - we are a commercial channel and Formula One is a commercial sport.

On Sunday, the race was very exciting throughout and it was a tough call as to when to cut to adverts - for example, we didn't want to interrupt the race when Jensen Button was in the lead. Our production team make these decisions and have done so since we started F1 coverage in 1997, by and large they get it right.

In the event we delayed taking the break until the last moment but had to do so with three laps to go. Yesterday's race was a particularly difficult one to call as Michael Schumacher caught Fernando Alonso so spectacularly. It appeared that he would take the lead at any moment and we were reluctant to cut away from the action.

Unfortunately, the pass moment never came and we were forced to take the scheduled break too close to the finish. Coverage returned for the final lap to see Schumacher and Alonso battling for the lead. We know it is of little consolation but their positions didn't change hands during the advert break and we screened the final three laps in their entirety after the race finished.

Nonetheless, we are well aware that the timing of this advert upset many viewers and can only apologise to you again.

Whilst the strategy for cutting to adverts is not an exact science, we will do our utmost to ensure that this scenario does not happen again in future and your comments have been passed on to the production team plus the Controller of ITV Sport.

Thank you for writing in to us.

From the Duty Office, ITV "

So much for the promise ITV made when they took over F1 from the BBC that commercials wouldn't spoil the race coverage...
Schumacher, F1 - Shaz {p}
Didnt watch it - was out, but from what I've read - Alonso did a fine job, considering he had an engine problem, which affected his track time before the race. I hope Renault continue their brilliant form.
Some of the other teams did a good job - BAR Honda turned the car around, Mclaren too, but Red Bull - what happened - after the first race - they have fallen down the way side.

On the news that the will be using Ferrari engines - am I being sceptical or is this a ploy by the Bernie/Ferrari partnership to keep manufacturers in F1, and not starting a seperate championship?
:).

Anyway did anyone see the fifth gear a couple of weeks ago - showing A1 racing? - Sounds like a good idea to me, looks like it may be more competitve than F1 - a bit like the old TOCA before they changed / spolied the rules.
Schumacher, F1 - L'escargot
Alonso is obviously a bit of a comedian. THREE fingers held up to Schumacher. Brilliant!
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Schumacher, F1 - stackman
Technically and tactically the Ferrari performed brilliantly but as a spectacle it left a lot to be desired. Realistically all we got to see was the number indicating Schumi's position decrease.

He moved 10 places up the rankings, only overtaking one car on the road, Button when he became flustered behind a backmarker, despite being 2-3 seconds a lap faster than everyone else.

Otherwise we saw the red car go round and round and the graphics on the screen told us he was beating people. No cut and thrust or derring do. You could have watched it all on a spreadsheet.

It was an outstanding achievement by the Ferrari team and needed Schumi's driving genius to pull off but was clinical in its execution.

Schumacher, F1 - merlin
Yes... and lots more testing and money than anyone else.

Did anyone else noticed that the Ferrari had "Fiat" on the nose? I wonder if the ailing parent finally is after some return from their F1 investment.
Schumacher, F1 - cheddar

No, it is recognised that Toyota for one spend more than Ferrari.

Re testing, Ferrari would have to do 5 or 6 times the mileage of other teams for Bridgestone to only equal the mileage of Michelin, Testing the car and testing the tyres have to both be accountyed for.
Schumacher, F1 - PR {P}
Its also believed in some quarters that if you add the costs of engine development/building by Mercedes and BMW then McLaren and Williams also spend more than Ferrari.
As far as testing goes aswell, in the previous few years Ferrari have invested heavily in their testing facilities, so when the others want to effectively make obsolete these investments is it any wonder they dont want to??
Schumacher, F1 - carl_a
Did anyone else noticed that the Ferrari had "Fiat" on the
nose? I wonder if the ailing parent finally is after some
return from their F1 investment.

Fiat has been on F1 Ferrari's since the early 80's.