Golf MK2 Heating / Cooling - timby
Ive got a problem with my 1.3ltr Golf heating cooling system.
My heater is warm only until the thermostat opens then it goes cold.
This problem is hardly noticed driveing around locally but recently I have driven to Aberdeen and back (500 miles each way) during the night and I was frrrrrrreezing!
I have flushed out the system and tested the heater element with my garden hose.
I have also tried to get all the air out of the system , all to no effect.
Any ideas?
GOLF MK2 HEATING/ COOLING - Bill Payer
Faulty thermostat?
GOLF MK2 HEATING/ COOLING - Civic8
Does it affect the temp guage.ie as it heats up the guage goes down toward cold??
--
Steve
Golf MK2 Heating / Cooling - mattieboy
VW introduced pressure relief valves into the heater matrix loop to prevent sudden matrix failure on mk2 GTIs. I'm not sure if the 1.3 has the same matrix, or suffered the same problem, but I have heard reports of these valves getting clogged up and reducing coolant flow to the point where the matrix barely warms.

The valves were fitted under a now defunct recall. I have heard a few knowledgeable people claim that the pressure relief vales were overkill, VW simply acting to prevent the possibilty of lawsuits etc. I have an mk2 gti 8v without the valves, and have recently replaced the original, 13 year old matrix. If you have the valves fitted (I don't know if the recall extended to cars other than GTIs) it might be worth taking them out of the circuit and seeing what happens - perhaps there is a slight drop in pressure as the thermostat pops, sufficient to reduce coolant flow through the matrix to negligible levels. You can use small lengths of copper pipe to replace the vales in the coolant hoses. Some VW dealers stock replacement valves, but they are getting a little rare now.

If you don't have the valves fitted, please disregard my comments.
Golf MK2 Heating / Cooling - sean
True that there was a recall. Some folks got by-pass valves. Others got a new heater matrix (yes, full dash-out job on hundreds of thousands of cars worldwide.)

Folks would sit in summer heat traffic queues. Next thing the heater matrix would burst, showering steam and scalding water into the cabin. Takes one's mind off the traffic jam, though!

Anyway, let's solve this, shall we?

You start up and get heat. Ticketty-boo. The circulation's OK. The thing warms up and the heat stops. What has changed? The thermostat will be stuck open, so all your heat is going to the radiator. Buy a new stat and you should be fine.

While you're into the cooling system, I'd flush it out with a hosepipe and stick some new antifreeze in.

Good luck,

Sean
Thanks for your imput guys.
I think that the thermostat is working OK, it opens when the temperture gauge is mid range.
The temperature starts to rise further after 1.1/2 - 2 HRS at motorway speeds which seem a bit odd, I wonder if that is because the heater is not working?
Yes it has been fitted with a relief valve and I have thought about by passing it but I am a bit wary as I have already heard about the bursting problem.
Ive found two bits of pipe today and may try that over the weekend.

Golf MK2 Heating / Cooling - Civic8
Temp sender is after thermostat.ie sender cannot pick up temp untill stat has started to open. If temp is rising on motorway.It wont be to do with Heater matrix. its not part of cooling system as such.as it is an added extra connected to cooling system Ie it can be bypassed without any effect to engine
--
Steve
Ive taken Mattieboy's advice and bypassed the relief valves with two bits of copper pipes.
The heater is working fine now and the engine is running a bit cooler, I will leave it like that for now.
Ive driven from London to Northampton and back on the M1 with no problems.
Thank you all for you advice........TIMBY