Pug 306 Near-side Rattling Noise - FridgeMagnet
My 1994 XTdt (70K) has been making a quite loud metallic rattle/clanging sound of late. On a smooth surface there is no problem, but on a rough or potholed surface the noise is heard intermittently. It's actually as if a certain frequency of vibration can set it off, as sometimes a deep pothole won't cause it, yet a roughish surface, at quite low speed (20mph) will. That said, a good hard knock from the road more typically
prompts the noise.

For what it's worth, when sitting in the passenger seat the noise appears to come from an area ranging from the top of the left suspension strut to behind the glove compartment.

I've had the drop-links and roll-bar bushes changed recently, (both sides) which has made not a jot of difference. I've also wrapped the heater pipes bracket, at the back of the engine in foam, as it broke away from the bulkhead and was knocking against it. So it's not that either. Needless to say I've thumped everything in the engine compartment to find something loose but have drawn a blank.

Apart from that, it's still a lovely car, but this is really getting to me.

Regards
306 Near-side Rattling Noise - solara
I have had this problem with mines.
It would also rattle on starting the engine.
Found it to be the coolant heater matrix pipes which fix to the bulkhead wall. The bolt which afixes the pipe brackets to bulkead wall shears off and causes the rattle.
Yes, the pipes rattle directly behind the dash glove compartment.

Could be the cause of your knocking rattle.
Sorry, just read the latter part of your email. I see you've been there and done that!
Could play in the strut bearings be causing this noise. Worth jacking it up and swivelling the steering to check for any bearing grinding type noises.
306 Near-side Rattling Noise - FridgeMagnet
I'll try this, but the guy at the garage who did the bushes and drop-links, reckoned he'd given the axles a good shake and thought all was OK.

Cheers
What bushes did the garage change (front-O or rear-P or both)?
306 Near-side Rattling Noise - FridgeMagnet

The front anti-rollbar bushes only, (I think there are 2 bushes) if that is what you are asking. Sorry if there is actually more than one type of bush on the rollbar, if there is I didn't know.

Pug 306 Near-side Rattling Noise - Andrew-T
Is anything loose sitting in the cup below the main strut spring? I got a strange noise on a Punto when a piece of gravel had been thrown up and lodged there.