1999 2.0T - V40 bad misfire - ptootill
My 1999 V40 2.0t has been great until recently (with 140,000 miles on the clock,I have done 130k of them). However, it has developed a major problem in that it starts to misfire (on 2 cyls, I think) and eventually the engine dies. It only happens when the engine is hot (usually on a motorway - I have had RAC out 4 times!). Can be better after a cool down and it is always OK next day at the garage - has been back each time but not fixed.
Have had new ecu (originally no fault codes) and a coil (based on fault codes). It worked for 2x130 mile journeys after coil but died today after 40 miles (warm day tho)
Any ideas - am at wits end, might have to sell but don't want to!
Rgrds
Peter

{made use of drop down menus; not previously available when this post was penned}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/04/2009 at 13:36

volvo v40 bad misfire - Lhv40t
Hi ptootill,
I have a 1998 V40t4 with exactly the same fault as you have or had. I have fitted a new pair of coil packs and spark plugs which fixed the problem for about 200kms but when the engine got hot it misfired just like yours. checked coil packs and found one faulty. Replaced that one (supplied no charge by volvo) and problem gone again. Now 1 month or so later same thing again, engine missing badly and finally couldn't move the car on it's own.I am hoping you read this and reply with your solution. Directly to "eyenelle@optusnet.com.au" would be great.
Thanks.
volvo v40 bad misfire - Dynamic Dave
Hi ptootill
I am hoping you read this and reply with your solution.

ptootill last visited forum: Thu 21 Apr 2005

Hopefully someone else can help. DD, BR Moderator.
Dear Moderator.
I need to know if "ptootill" found the cause of his troubles. Is it possible for you to email him and ask him then email the answer to me? I am getting desperate.

{Email sent}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/04/2009 at 11:28

volvo v40 bad misfire - TrevM
If you are getting repeated coil failures, it is worth checking the plug gaps to see if they are too wide. Try setting them on the narrow side (say 0.9 mm if 1 mm is recommended). This will reduce the stress on the coil's internal insulation.
Hi Trevm,
Thanks for the information on the possible misfire cause. What you say fits with what I have experienced. The mechanic fitted new coil packs when the original ones wore out after 170k's (with cracked tube walls). He also fitted new spark plugs even though the ones he removed were only 6 months old and were the correct plug for the car. Since then I have been having problems. The ECU has been tested and is perfect. Pity it is Easter and I will have to wait till Tuesday to call him. I am in Australia.
Could you tell me what plugs you fitted and at what gap please.
Cheers, Ian
volvo v40 bad misfire - Woodspeed
On some cars with coil pack problems, it is worth checking the plug gaps, and maybe paying more for longer life multi point plugs. With these the moment the gap gets too wide on one electrode, the current (always finding the easiest path to earth) can use another electrode.
Hi Woodspeed. Thanks for that info, seems to mirror what Trevm said. I notice you replied today (12/04), does that mean you are in Oz? I had NGK Iridium plugs in it before all of this started and the mechanic replaced them as a matter of course but in hindsight I think they were correct and the new plugs(which I don't know the make or heat range but I will on Tuesday) are causing the coil pack failures. I hope so because we need the car back to sell but I won't try to sell it until it is fixed correctly.
If you can please reply ASAP. Thanks and cheers.
If they're multi electrode plugs then you shouldn't attempt to try and regap them.
Hi DD. The plugs were NGK BKREIX Iridium and I think were gaped at .7mm as per workshop Haynes manual. I took 2 plugs out of the engine yesterday and he had fitted genuine Volvo plugs that look to be Iridium but both were gapped at .9mm.
My next step is to refit the plugs that were in it before the coil packs first failed and try it.
Were you able to contact "ptootill"?
Thanks and cheers.
Hi again DD,
Is it possible for the moderator to contact a forum member, off line of course?
LHv40T
Yes, drop me an email, tell me who you want to contact, and I'll forward it on for you. My email address can be found by clicking on my username.

DD.
Well we have sorted the problem. Took it to a different service place and he found, after 2 hours diagnostics, that the connections to the coil packs were poor. Connected but porly. He tightened them and fitted some heat shrink and bingo, alls well.
Now I am going back to the first place to discuss the amount of refund he thinks is fair.
There was nothing wrong with the coil packs after all, just the diagnosis of the problem.
Thanks for the input from you guys. While you didn't hit the mark your efforts are appreciated. Thanks from "down under".
A further fault appeared just after the first was sorted. The primary filter in the fuel tank was almost (99%) blocked. Fitted new aftermarket pump and filter set and all is now well. I did not even know the filter was there.